Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello,
I'm using Sony picture frame. I use 4Gb SDHC card which has top directory ...DCIM/100MSDCF/ and ~20 subdirectories and around 1500 pictures in those directories.
It plays in 'slideshow' mode. Quite often instead of 'picture' I see some icon. It sounds to me that it's either 'bad' picture or simply it tried to open directory.
Honestly ... I have no clue why I see those icons instead of normal picture.
My question: how could I found among those 1500 picture 'bad' ones that cause the issue?

Thanks

Babmo

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2019
Where do the pictures come from? This could be RAW files that the picture frame cannot display, or some metadata, simple systems like this tend to show all the junk macOS hides from you. What file extensions do you see in Finder?

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
All pictures came from my camera and in .jpg format.
I am planning to run 'find' command to check if I have files with other format.
thanks for replying

Babmo

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2019
You can try to sort by size and get rid of files smaller than 10KB, sometimes very small files stay on the card, have the jpg extension and confuse the system. My dad had this problem with his TV, I don’t remember how the files got there in first place though.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Hello,
I'm using Sony picture frame. I use 4Gb SDHC card which has top directory ...DCIM/100MSDCF/ and ~20 subdirectories and around 1500 pictures in those directories.
It plays in 'slideshow' mode. Quite often instead of 'picture' I see some icon. It sounds to me that it's either 'bad' picture or simply it tried to open directory.
Honestly ... I have no clue why I see those icons instead of normal picture.
My question: how could I found among those 1500 picture 'bad' ones that cause the issue?

Thanks
Have a Sony frame that gives the same problem. Whenever I add photos to the SD card, when inserted back into the frame and the frame turned on, the same number of extra(ghost/hidden) files are created, which show up as broken jpegs. These files don't show if I put the SD card back into my Mac.

You have to go into the card when it's in the frame and manually find and delete the extra files. Thy are normally all together, so it's not too much trouble.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Have a Sony frame that gives the same problem. Whenever I add photos to the SD card, when inserted back into the frame and the frame turned on, the same number of extra(ghost/hidden) files are created, which show up as broken jpegs. These files don't show if I put the SD card back into my Mac.

You have to go into the card when it's in the frame and manually find and delete the extra files. Thy are normally all together, so it's not too much trouble.
Those files are almost certainly ones whose names start with "._", followed by the name of the "parent" file they belong to. They contain any file-info, resource-fork, and extended attributes of the copied file. They end with ".jpg" or whatever, but they are definitely not JPEG files.

Since these filenames start with ".", they should be visible with the keyboard shortcut in Finder that shows hidden files:

If the filename starts with "._", it's almost certainly safe to simply delete it on the SD card.

There may be a command-line tool already present on your Mac that can do it, named "dot_clean". The "-m" option is the one to try.

If that works to remove the "._" files, it can be placed in an Automator script, within a Run Shell Script action, so one could then simply drag-n-drop the SD card's icon onto it in the future. For possible examples, try searching for the keywords dot_clean automator. Searching MR shows this thread:

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for suggestions
Not sure how to list almost 1500 pictures one by one in order to locate 'bad' ones.
Anyway it’s good to know
[automerge]1585179604[/automerge]
Well .... you were right
I found a lot of ._ files and deleted it.
Are you saying it’s Mac issue to generate those ._ files?
For now at least it’s good to remember to check for it every time I add something to SD card using Mac
Thanks for input

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.