How to make Apple test ip67 condition on iPhone 7 and 7+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawa636r, Nov 3, 2016.

1. kawa636r macrumors regular

I had got my first iPhone 7+ water damaged because i have taken it to run with me under the rain, and apple refused to repair me on warranty.

I've paid the out of warranty replacement and now i'm making a legal action to ask them to refund me that cost, because the mobile never went over the ip67 specifications.

Now, how can i make apple test the impermeability condition of my device?

This year the quality check is very worst (4 iPhone changed, 3 with hissing and 1 water damaged) and i don't know if Apple implemented a way to test the water resistance of the device, like a diagnose.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Here's a link to a site that describes what IP67 means and where it lands on the scale of ingress protection:

http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

There are further references below the charts on that site to the actual IEC papers/websites

To comment on your issue, Apple likely has water(or moisture)sensors inside the device that activate or change color if exposed to moisture. To win your case, you'll need to prove that Apple's device somehow did not meet the IP67 standard.

Good luck with that.

3. beernut macrumors 6502

how do we know you were in the rain and not under water > 1m for an extended period of time?

4. err404 macrumors 68020

It will be impossible to test the phone after the fact. If the phone was exposed to high pressure and the seels failed, it cannot be tested now. It would be like taking a tire that burst from over inflation, and then trying to fill it with air to find the PSI limit.
    The inability to know what caused the failure on the phone is probably the reason they dont cover water damage in the warranty.
    I sucks if it failed from just exposure to rain, but I highly doubt you will get anywhere legally because all you have is your word. Even if you could prove it, they are clear that water damage is not covered.

5. Newtons Apple, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If Apple wanted too they would know with the barometric pressure reading, it would skyrocket in pressure under water. If they wanted the could record this without us knowing.

6. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

I'm pretty sure their warranty is worded in a way that water damage is not covered regardless of IP67 or not.

7. kawa636r thread starter macrumors regular

guys, i want to test it BEFORE FAIL, to be sure that isn't defective as the other one.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You would likely get the same results.

9. beernut macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us.html

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY?

This Warranty does not apply: ...(d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, fire, liquid contact, earthquake or other external cause...

10. kawa636r thread starter macrumors regular

Too much simple telling that the device it is ip67 but not covered by liquid warranty.

11. noobinator macrumors 601

In other words, they built a phone that should withstand a good amount of water and some pressure but it's still not intended to be exposed to the elements thus they won't warranty it. It's a nice to have but not a guarantee of non-failure during exposure.

Also I think pressurized water can have a much different affect than just setting it in a bowl of water etc... So if it's was raining hard or something it might not fall within ip67 but I only stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

12. kawa636r thread starter macrumors regular

i want a diagnose to check if the ip67 condition is satisfied or not, to not have warranty troubles if went wet for an Apple mistake during device manufacturing.

13. C DM, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

Then they really shouldn't be advertising water resistance properties of the phone, in particular when those same circumstances portrayed in ads can lead to failure that they then won't cover or do anything about (yet still benefit from advertising).

14. kawa636r thread starter macrumors regular

exactly, finally an user that can comprend my status

15. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I've walked with mine in the pouring rain, in my hands, using it, no problem...

16. kawa636r thread starter macrumors regular

and my 7+ got broke with water inside the camera

17. cmdrdredd macrumors member

It's like watches, they can say water resistant but that's not for like swimming etc. There are various levels of water resistance. A Phone isn't meant to be exposed to water for prolonged periods of time. It's more for incidental contact, not deliberate and repeated contact.

18. err404 macrumors 68020

While Apple says that they won't cover water damage, they are still obligated to meet the IP67 rating that is advertised. It may seem like semantics, but you need to pursue the manufacturing defect that failed to meet the spec rather then asking for compensation for the liquid damage.
    To the person suggesting the use of the barometer. That actually is a good idea, until the device fails to boot and that data can't be recovered.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

So how do they live up to that obligation (or how could/would they be made to live up to it)?

20. err404 macrumors 68020

I admit that it will be very hard. But if OP wants to fight for his rights, he needs to know what they are. Apple is obligated to cover manufacturing defects, regardless of the terms in the warranty. They are not obligated to cover water damage.

21. T48 macrumors newbie

Am not taking sides on this. But Apples stance on this is use at your own risk with regard to water & dust environments. They have enough legal warnings in place for that regardless how they are advertising the device. No amount of user testing will change any of that. There were a couple of review guys on youtube that had the same issue with water in the cameras as well.

via http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/
    1. iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are splash, water, and dust resistant and were tested under controlled laboratory conditions with a rating of IP67 under IEC standard 60529. Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. Do not attempt to charge a wet iPhone; refer to the user guide for cleaning and drying instructions. Liquid damage not covered under warranty.

22. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

The OP is going to need to hire better lawyers than Apple has to win this.

While I agree that Apple should honor its water claims, it would be very difficult for them. For example, my 9 month old phone is running slow, bath time and a trip to the Apple Store for a new phone.

Even if every person on these forums showed videos of them taking there phones into water, I would still not let my phone get wet, but that is my opinion.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure how that works with "regardless how they are advertising" really.

24. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I actually saw one of the advertisements and it had a disclaimer below much like when drugs are being advertised in the same medium (television).

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Didn't you just create a thread on this a week ago, telling us the same thing? I think you did.