Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
I believe the OP I'm just afraid apple has all there bases covered. Some journalists and youtuber have had a similar issue when testing the IP67 rating. All of them have stated they had to pay for the water damage. This is unfortunate because you won't know your Iphone is defective until it gets wet. I see a class action lawsuit coming in the next few months.

Youtuber with similar issues

Finally an user that tells the truth and how actually was for me.
Some forum users attacked me because they don't believe that i've taken 4 different defective devices, and the last one, got wet inside running under the rain... but fortunately there are users realist like you... thanks :)
[doublepost=1478421479][/doublepost]
Personally I don't care what the rating is. A phone isn't a device made to be used under water so I treat it as such. This just basically means to me that if I drop it in a puddle it will probably survive. I have no reasons to test the conditions it can handle. It's quite pointless to me.

Why they told you that will survive under a max of 1meter of water for max 30' if the device dies under the rain?

HaydenWI

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Charlotte
Personally I don't care what the rating is. A phone isn't a device made to be used under water so I treat it as such. This just basically means to me that if I drop it in a puddle it will probably survive. I have no reasons to test the conditions it can handle. It's quite pointless to me.
Whether you care or not is irrelevant. The phone has been certified to meet certain specifications, and is advertised as such. Assuming that OP's story is truthful, his/her phone failed in conditions that were nowhere near as strenuous as those needed to meet the IP67 certification. The phone was clearly defective and should have been replaced by Apple.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
Whether you care or not is irrelevant. The phone has been certified to meet certain specifications, and is advertised as such. Assuming that OP's story is truthful, his/her phone failed in conditions that were nowhere near as strenuous as those needed to meet the IP67 certification. The phone was clearly defective and should have been replaced by Apple.

nice answer :)

chronoflash

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
nice answer :)

Please stop bothering with the issue of water resistance since, as Apple clearly warns, as time goes on, the phones will all become "defective", naturally losing their resistance to water damage; water resistance is a temporary quality that all the phones will gradually lose with time, making them subject to some kind of deterioration. So considering that they ARE water resistant, they will no longer be so in a couple of months ? / years ? from now. So better consider they are NOT water resistant. On the day Apple announced the iPhone 7 was water-resistant, sure it was. "Oh my gooooodness, Apple have made a new iPhone that is water resistant !!!" :confused::confused::confused:

The picture below shows what makes the iPhone 7 "water-resistant": merely glue !!! :mad::mad::mad:

Capture d’écran 2016-11-11 à 13.08.51.png

Last edited:

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Too much simple telling that the device it is ip67 but not covered by liquid warranty.

it never has been, and it never will. thats what apple care plus is for.

You're not going to gain anything by trying to take legal action. You will just end up losing money on your end. But if you want to do it then good for you.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If i changed 5 iphones was because defective products; i have no time to loose and all the other users in this forum are clearly talking also about yellow screens, hissing issues, and water resistance issues (like mine).

Also, i want to inform you that you don't need to have got a big bank account to claim a warranty defect, neither a lot of documentation; as told by another forum user "they really shouldn't be advertising water resistance properties of the phone, in particular when those same circumstances portrayed in ads can lead to failure that they then won't cover or do anything about (yet still benefit from advertising)", so, use a little more your brain instead of attacking me.

You remind me of someone who fights with "windmills". Good luck with that.
[doublepost=1479037141][/doublepost]

You're not going to gain anything by trying to take legal action. You will just end up losing money on your end. But if you want to do it then good for you.

Great advices but someone like this will have to learn the hard way.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
You remind me of someone who fights with "windmills". Good luck with that.
[doublepost=1479037141][/doublepost]

Great advices but someone like this will have to learn the hard way.

This is true. thats why even if they ever do make a more water resistant phone ( i will never say waterproof because that will never happen, this isn't a diving watch) I will still put it away if its raining. Always have, once it starts to rain and i have a backpack with me, it goes straight in there just incase.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

Umm. Methinks you missed it...Apple's refunding them the money: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-iphone-7-and-7.2012313/page-2#post-23867217
Now, whether this was as a result of initiating the claim via the courts or just that root cause was completed on the damaged phone at the repair centre, who's to say?

As to this topic - my own take - if they put the disclaimer on the commercial, then it's no different than the car companies showing someone screaming down a beautiful curvy mountain road at 100mph+ ("closed road, stunt driver, please obey all posted speed limits", etc, etc). Do I think it's shady? Of course - but by having that disclaimer it means anyone using it that way is taking a risk (and everyone on here knows it says it isn't covered by the warranty).

Also, a couple people on here stated that the phone should be retested after the failure, despite the fact that someone already pointed out that you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If a seal has already been compromised, it's gonna leak, it won't pass any water resistance test.

This topic has come up multiple times and multiple people have suggested that Apple could have used the barometer as well as some NVRAM to record the pressure the device was under when it failed (just need additional protection on those components). Wouldn't be a very difficult thing for them to engineer into these devices at all. (and, maybe their default policy is - "we don't cover it", but then if the root cause found the device hadn't exceeded the IP67 rating, you get your money back).

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Umm. Methinks you missed it...Apple's refunding them the money: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-iphone-7-and-7.2012313/page-2#post-23867217
Now, whether this was as a result of initiating the claim via the courts or just that root cause was completed on the damaged phone at the repair centre, who's to say?

As to this topic - my own take - if they put the disclaimer on the commercial, then it's no different than the car companies showing someone screaming down a beautiful curvy mountain road at 100mph+ ("closed road, stunt driver, please obey all posted speed limits", etc, etc). Do I think it's shady? Of course - but by having that disclaimer it means anyone using it that way is taking a risk (and everyone on here knows it says it isn't covered by the warranty).

Also, a couple people on here stated that the phone should be retested after the failure, despite the fact that someone already pointed out that you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If a seal has already been compromised, it's gonna leak, it won't pass any water resistance test.

This topic has come up multiple times and multiple people have suggested that Apple could have used the barometer as well as some NVRAM to record the pressure the device was under when it failed (just need additional protection on those components). Wouldn't be a very difficult thing for them to engineer into these devices at all. (and, maybe their default policy is - "we don't cover it", but then if the root cause found the device hadn't exceeded the IP67 rating, you get your money back).

you're taking this too far like its a joke.

don't get your phone wet, you wouldn't of in the past would you?
the answer is no

sometimes things happen, we're human, we make mistakes.

chalk it up as a learning lesson.

and yes they do get tested if you get it swapped at the genius bar. they take those phones back to test why something failed. I know plenty of people who work at apple.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
you're taking this too far like its a joke.

don't get your phone wet, you wouldn't of in the past would you?
the answer is no

sometimes things happen, we're human, we make mistakes.

chalk it up as a learning lesson.
Heh. Did you reply before you read what I wrote? :) Really doesn't seem applicable. And, no, I'm not one that would be taking additional risks with my phone just because they put an IP rating on it. :)

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Heh. Did you reply before you read what I wrote? :) Really doesn't seem applicable. And, no, I'm not one that would be taking additional risks with my phone just because they put an IP rating on it. :)

i did, its like beating a dead horse. nothing good will come from it.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
I doubt your iPhone got water damaged by just rain. Can I ask where the water sensors are now since the headphone jack has been removed? Is one still in the Lightning port?

There are videos on YouTube of the iPhone being put far deeper than 1 metre and for longer than 30 minutes and surviving with no ill effects.

If anything Apple has under stated the water resistance of the phone. Did your phone stop operating normally, I presume so if it prompted you to return it for repair.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
I doubt your iPhone got water damaged by just rain. Can I ask where the water sensors are now since the headphone jack has been removed? Is one still in the Lightning port?

There are videos on YouTube of the iPhone being put far deeper than 1 metre and for longer than 30 minutes and surviving with no ill effects.

If anything Apple has under stated the water resistance of the phone. Did your phone stop operating normally, I presume so if it prompted you to return it for repair.

people exaggerate. its the internet. and i've seen those videos too. i wonder if the liquid indicators got tripped though, thats one thing they never talk about.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015

There is a water sensor in the SIM tray which is pretty much the onlywaynwter csn get in unless you dropped the phone and the glue holding the back to the display got damaged.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
There is a water sensor in the SIM tray which is pretty much the onlywaynwter csn get in unless you dropped the phone and the glue holding the back to the display got damaged.
you are correct. but the sim tray is the piece that comes out. the sensor is located inside the phone and you have to remove the sim tray to see it. and the only way that will be triggered if it the device was submerged in water. Rain will not do that.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
you are correct. but the sim tray is the piece that comes out. the sensor is located inside the phone and you have to remove the sim tray to see it. and the only way that will be triggered if it the device was submerged in water. Rain will not do that.
If you opened the SIM tray to remove/put in the SIM card and either damaged the black seal or didn't close it properly, rain water will go through the tray and damage the phone. All it takes is one drop of water.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
If you opened the SIM tray to remove/put in the SIM card and either damaged the black seal or didn't close it properly, rain water will go through the tray and damage the phone. All it takes is one drop of water.

well, i'm not one to use my phone when its raining ( i think thats just asking for problems), and unless its an emergency i wont call someone while its raining. unless it is a real emergency then i wouldn't care if my phone got wet.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

If anything what all of that shows is that there can be some devices that aren't perfectly sealed as they should be and could be damaged by liquid because of that, which would be a manufacturer defect essentially.

Reactions: BritishApple

Teeceman

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
I just received a call from an Apple Customer Relationship guy; the call was about my out-of-warranty replacement due to water damage and they will refund me the 381,10€ paid. I will see the refund in next days, directly in my credit card.

So, i'm now more satisfied about Apple Customer Service.

they received the european procedure opened on monday 31 octuber and just replied to me today, with a call.

Well done OP, hopefully the EU law will continue to hold Apple to account for warranty responsibilities.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
It's like watches, they can say water resistant but that's not for like swimming etc. There are various levels of water resistance. A Phone isn't meant to be exposed to water for prolonged periods of time. It's more for incidental contact, not deliberate and repeated contact.
Here lies the issue, apple in its ads show people willingly going out in the rain like the bike ride in the rain ad.. Its not incidental at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.