How to make my wife's mid2012 mbp 13 faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zesto, May 26, 2014.

1. Zesto macrumors newbie

She got a good new job so I bought her a mbp 13" mid 2012, and basically on her first day a co-worker had a newer 15" model with retina display and she's been kinda bummed out about it.

So I was wondering what I could do to make hers faster? I would like to get her the newer one but I didn't realize she would need it and how slow the mbp 13 inch is...if I just add 4gb ram and make it 8gb will it make a good difference? Or should I ebay the 13 and buy a 15?

i5 2.5ghz
    4gb ram
    intel 4000

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

More RAM may help. Also, a SSD would make a big difference over a HDD.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

What does she do on her macbook? An ssd will make it snappier in any case.
    Ram not necessarily.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Is it a retina or a non-retina MBP? If it is non-retina, you could upgrade to SSD & 8 GB and it will help, but it will still be non-retina. If it is retina there is not much you can upgrade, and maybe you should find out what feature exactly she is missing.

Also maybe you should ask your wife whether she would like a new laptop, and not us ;)

5. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

I have that model. 16gb RAM and a new SSD has it purring along nicely. The latter for everyday, noticeable speed - the former for running multiple apps and windows all at the same time. Her use will determine what she needs. But a 13" cMBP will probably always look like the poor cousin to a 15" rMBP....

Good luck.

6. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

SSD is the answer. There are You Tube videos on swapping it out.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Definitely the SSD. Consider going to 8gb memory if she does a lot of multitasking. If she's not experiencing memory pressure with 4gb then an upgrade will do little.

After I upgraded my wife's 2011 iMac to a SSD her complaints about slowdowns have stopped.

8. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

not fast enough for doing what? is she running a render/mining farm while cruising on Facebook/web surfing?

the macbook pro 13 inch is a very nice/fast lappy, we would be able to help you much much better if you told us specifically what apps she uses??

cheers

(by the way mate, i do the same as you all the time and i never learn, i buy my misses laptops all the time in regards to what I think she needs.. bought her a spanking Lenovo Yoga2 14 inch (beautiful lappy) and she still bloody uses her 2007 a1181 macbook.. go figure.. ;-)

9. jgiannakas macrumors member

The best upgrade as mentioned is an ssd, like the samsung 840 evo, fast and cheap. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/...iew-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested
    The SSD will make the biggest difference of all possible upgrades, she will feel like getting a new laptop!

Another 4gb might or might not make any difference, check out her activity monitor and check of any swap is used. In OSX all memory is utilised for caches etc. so the best indicator for needing a memory upgrade is to check for swap use

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Just note that you have to replace the ram chips. It comes with 2x2GB. You'd need to go up to 2x4GB.

A Samsung 840 EVO xxxGB would also be a big help.

11. Zesto thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late replies, been busy.

She doesn't do any rendering, mostly just excels.

I'm hesitant to get an SSD because I bought a crucial SSD 2 years ago and it failed recently so I'm kind of wary...would it help just to put in a 7200 RPM 2.5" HDD? But 100$ for a 240gb crucial SSD is pretty legit, I paid almost 3 times that for mine.

And as someone stated earlier, it is a non retina, so probably not worth upgrading because no matter how much 'faster' we make it, all someone with a retina MacBook has to say is "Oh, well I got the Retina."

12. jgiannakas macrumors member

Don't really see the point in getting another spinning disk for an imperceptible increase in performance. The latest ssds are much much better than the early generation. I would not cheap out too much though, the samsung ones are fully compatible with the MacBook Pro and established as one of the most reliable ones. As for if it's worth it or not, it most definitely is. If she is not maxing out the CPU then the disk is he limiting factor and she'll be able to get at least another 2-3 years use of the machine quite easily.

13. raptor402 macrumors 6502

I can relate to your unfortunate experience; my first SSD (Corsair) failed after a year and a half. I payed $150 for 90GB. Since then, I've been through a few SSDs; none of them have shown any issues. I think that you should go ahead with the SSD. You can also try Samsung 840 Evo.

Best of luck
    Raptor

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're going to use the Macbook as a status symbol, you need to return it pronto for a retina one. If you only care about how well it can "compute", but an SSD. At that point, it'll be every bit as good as fast, and can play DVD's to boot.

15. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Sounds like she's jealous that a co-worker has a nicer laptop? Only way to fix that is to get her a retina. No way I could go back to a non retina machine now. They look so ancient in comparison.

16. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I bought a 2012 MBP 2.3 i7 15" from B&H after that model was replaced by the current Retina models. I need 1TB of storage and was not willing to pay the $3200 needed for a Retina MBP with 1TB and 16GB RAM.

I've been running 16GB of Crucial RAM and a Crucial 960GB M500 SSD since last fall. Mine is not as fast as a Retina model is some areas but at about $2200 I've got a very fast laptop with lots of storage.

The 960GB M500 SSD is running about $450 or so at B&H. The smaller capacities are significantly less expensive. Just a thought.

17. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

This is a legit question and not being a dick, but what exactly does one person "need" 1TB in a laptop for? I barely use the 512GB in mine since I save everything to an external hard drive. I've always used my internal drive for whatever I need on the go, then transfer it to external when I get home. I just can't fathom what requires 1TB. Truly being curious here.

18. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

In what area's is it slower? If it's stuff like browsing and word processing, then upgrade the RAM and SSD. If it's CPU or GPU intensive applications, then no upgrade will help.

19. cube macrumors G5

I don't trust SSDs, but I think I really need one now. Waiting if there's a 2TB announced next week at Computex, or otherwise I will go for a 2TB standalone hybrid if one appears.

But if I buy an SSD, it will have to be one of:

- Micron or Crucial (Micron). Marvell controller, most reliability features.
    - Samsung. Samsung controller.
    - Intel. Only if Intel or Marvell controller model.

20. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

1 tb SSD are much faster and far more durable than 512 gb SSD. You should always go for the highest capacity with a SSD drive.

It's quite easy to fill a 512 gb SSD if you are a music producer (it's recommended those apps are stored on a SSD btw so an external drive is not optimal).

21. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Ah that's good to know. I didn't know the larger drives were more reliable. Why is this? I know everyones needs are different but it just seemed like a lot of wasted space for the average user.

22. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

They are more reliable because they have more cells. A 1 tb SSD can write 2 times as much data than a 512 gb SSD before it breaks. So it has a longer lifespan.

23. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

Gotcha, from what I just read though it's nearly impossible to wear out an SSD of any size before the computer would need to be upgraded anyways, so I'm not too worried about that. I upgrade my MacBook every year or two on average. Of course everyone uses their computer differently.

24. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My Aperture library is over 500GB, I like being able to carry it all and carry it internally. Then I just use external drives for backup which makes life simple.

----------

Only if you limit yourself to using 512GB or less. "Lifespan" in this regard and "reliability" are different things entirely.