Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Once you do that you can barely see the screen even in pitch black, so what honestly is the point.

GO TO SLEEP. lol

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Excellent article and far more useful than speculating on some random prototype part that may or may not end up in an iPhone in 2028.
lmao, why are people so un-chill in 2024 about macrumors.com posting…Apple…rumors…? it’s what this website has always been about. been noticing a toooon of comments like this lately—the great thing about the Internet is you can go away from something if you don’t like it. 😂

anyway, there is actually a bit of a quicker way to do this if you don’t need other Accessibility Shortcuts. in the Accessibility menu, navigate to the Zoom function and set the Zoom Filter to Low Light, then make sure the maximum zoom level (at the bottom of the menu) is set to the minimum level, 1.2x. turn off the Zoom Controller if it isn’t off; triple-click the Side Button, then triple-tap your Home Screen and tap “Zoom Out” to make sure it isn’t actually zooming in, cropping your screen. just removes the extra step of tapping “Reduce White Point” after triple-clicking :)

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Awesome, I can stop getting flashbanged like I'm playing Counter-Strike every time I look at my phone in bed. 😵

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I've been using this for a long while now. Instead of using a shortcut, I have a triple press of the lock button to enable it. Super quick and easy to enable and disable

Accessibility → Accessibility Shortcut → Reduce White Point
Same. The lowest brightness is still way too harsh in the dark, so this has been the workaround for years. Super handy.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Blimey. That's a lot of steps. Can't see most people going through all that. Shortcuts is an unknown area for ordinary users - I bet if you stopped 100 iPhone users on the street, 80 of them couldn't tell you what it does.

Not sure that 'white point' reduction is doing quite what people are being led to believe here either.

Night Shift is probably all that most people need. Then put your phone face down and go to sleep...

Reactions: DocMultimedia

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Or….hear me out…

Don’t use your phone in bed. It screws up your sleep. 🤷‍♂️
I leave mine in another room so I go to sleep and wake up without it. It was honestly like coming off of heroin, but I wanted to recapture the art of going to sleep with my own thoughts, and day dreaming etc.

• Haha
Reactions: geta

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Stupid question, but isn't this basically what "Night Shift" combined with auto brightness are supposed to achieve?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Reduce White Point

1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
  2. Select Accessibility from the list of options.
  3. Scroll down and select Accessibility Shortcut.
  4. Tap Reduce White Point, then drag it up near the top of the list using the three lines icon.
I use this same method, but instead of Reduce White Point, I have that shortcut set to apply a color filter that's heavily red. It's like Night Shift amped way up. Whether or not "blue light" is bad or suppresses sleep I don't know, but I do know the heavy red-filtered screen appear much less bright to the eyes in a dark room.

Gotta say, though, for me I don't think it's just the "light" part of the phone that keeps me from going to sleep, it's the mental activity of scrolling and switching my attention from thing to thing. Like others have said, reading a book/ebook puts me right out most of the time.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Rule Number 1:
Never ever use an iPhone in a darkened room. Never.

The OLED flickering at low screen brightness is horrendous.
You’ve been warned.

muu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I use this same method, but instead of Reduce White Point, I have that shortcut set to apply a color filter that's heavily red. It's like Night Shift amped way up. Whether or not "blue light" is bad or suppresses sleep I don't know, but I do know the heavy red-filtered screen appear much less bright to the eyes in a dark room.

Gotta say, though, for me I don't think it's just the "light" part of the phone that keeps me from going to sleep, it's the mental activity of scrolling and switching my attention from thing to thing. Like others have said, reading a book/ebook puts me right out most of the time.

Came in to say exactly this. The black and white-esque nature of basically two tone red and black makes things look "less interesting" which is also a good way to destimulate. Been using this for ~6yrs ever since a customer at work told me about the hack. For the most part I use it to read books and comics before bed as well.

Reactions: ignatius345

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
How about this?

Press the lock button and put the phone down. Remember the days before smart phones when you would go to bed or wake up with your own thoughts? Craziness, I know. This might be uncomfortable for some at first, but probably better for your mental health.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
😳
Brightness issues aside, I think that bed model had better get themselves to an optometrist before they need an ophthalmologist

That screen is far too close to their eyes.

Isentropic

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
As a physician, I specifically tell patients to avoid ALL electronics at bedtime. The high brain stimulation (regardless of color/white point) is a detriment to falling asleep, contributing to insomnia.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Most of us stare at our iPhones for far too long, and this constant exposure to a bright screen can strain our eyes, especially in low-light conditions or during the twilight hours. That's where the ability to dim your iPhone screen beyond the standard brightness settings becomes a game-changer
The game changer is to put your device down and go to sleep…

Reactions: white4s

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
Great tip!
Now, can the same type of thing turn Standby on and off when the Sleep focus comes on?

I have to plug my phone in when I use it in the car and it’s mounted horizontally. Manually turning Standby on and off is an inconvenience.
I never thought of that. Yeah hopefully Apple fixes this in iOS 18

Another feature that I thought of would be for Apple to directly tie the sleep focus to the health app - the Health app works with third-party apps to track sleep but it seems that it would be easier for Apple to tie that feature into the sleep focus mode to keep track of the number of hours of sleep you get per night

I also use the standby focus but wish that there was an ability for me to edit the widgets/layout of the standby focus without it being on a magsafe stand because I don’t have one that would directly bring up the standby focus and my iPhone only brings up standby when I have the phone sitting horizontally on a table (which is more difficult to edit the widgets) and it would be much easier to have the ability to customize the standby focus layout from within settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.