Carrier How to move T-Mobile plan to esim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by A_Flying_Panda, Oct 30, 2018.

1. A_Flying_Panda macrumors member

ive just updated to iOS 12.1, and trying to move my T-Mobile plan from the physical sim to esim (so I can use another physical sim from an overseas carrier). But it’s asking me for a QR code, or SM-DP address from carrier. Does anyone know where can I get that information?

Thanks

2. Buddhake macrumors regular

I called T-mobile and they accepted my eSim to move my line from a physical SIM to the eSim in my XR, but I still have the QR asking to be scanned. It doesn't seem to be fully ready yet.

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

T-Mobile doesn't appear to be ready yet. Only At&t as of now has it working.

4. BasicGreatGuy, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I went by my local T-Mobile store after updating in the parking lot, and was told T-Mobile isn't ready for eSIM just yet.

I just got this reply on Twitter from T-Mobile.

"We are working closely with Apple to ensure we are providing our customers with the best release of eSIM activation and functionality. Stay tuned for more information! *Peter Labrecque"

5. Buddhake macrumors regular

T-Mobile definitely confirming that this is not yet ready for use on their network. Now I have to move my eSIM/EID back to a physical SIM. On the chat with them now... this should be interesting.

6. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

This is the first time in a long while that I've been disappointed with TMobile. They are usually ready for things like this and there has certainly been time since the announcement, beta releases etc to get it up and running. The Apple Watch has an eSIM. They could at least be up front about what is causing the delay. another tweet said "end of the year" which is a total disappointment.

7. Squeak825 macrumors 6502

AT&T has stopped doing it as well

8. grinny11 macrumors regular

End of the year? I added an extra line to take advantage of this. I guess I'll be canceling this extra line

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is 2 months. Disappointing but, not that long.

10. michael31986 macrumors 68040

12.1 was just released today. Isn't this first phone with e sim for TMobile. Let's give them more than a day.

11. pixel_junkie macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

Why did you add an extra line, just curious?

12. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

All Apple Watches have eSIMs so they have activated plenty of them already. And they could always call their parent company for help since this is nothing new to them.

13. grinny11 macrumors regular

Long story... It was for the buy two XS, get $700 off promo, but they screwed up (multiple times) so gave me manual credits that have already been applied to my account. So I would assume now I don't need to keep the extra line since there aren't any more credits to be given.

I thought about keeping the extra line with the esim, but probably not now.

14. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

As far as I’ve understood it, the ease of eSIM right now makes it harder to offer a pricing model for people looking to hop on a network using it. The regulation red tape is all on a pricing structure and has been what’s slowed the process of implementing eSIM currently. They’re basically looking to be able to charge you for that QR code the same they would when getting a new physical SIM.

15. Lyn2012 macrumors 6502

16. michael31986 macrumors 68040

You still are locked into the service. Well except the t mobile. They don't have contracts. But otherwise. I don't get the logic you are referring to.

17. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

If you’re domestic to the service yes but if you’re not from here and are just visiting and need a local plan they’re going to milk it out. Example would be essentially $25 eSIM cards with XX amount of minutes/data included to get you started.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Some carriers like AT&T charge $5 for a replacement SIM... There are plenty of carriers that don't charge for a SIM card and eventually you can activate a plan in an app and you're eSIM will be provisioned automatically. No need to scan any QR code or manually enter information. Everything will be downloaded OTA.

19. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

They still charge you an activation fee to new customers which really what this eSIM is targeted towards since it allows a bit more of an on-the-fly process. AT&T quoted me a $30 activation fee to add their plan to an eSIM.

20. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Sorry. The new customer part wasnt clear. Of course new customers will get charged. They always have been

21. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

You’re fine. It was more implied based on the whole dual-SIM design intent that’s my bad for not clarifying.

Back to the topic at hand I’m going to give it a shot switching over to an eSIM today with T-Mobile and see how it goes.

22. Rayfire macrumors 68030

Rayfire

Please keep us posted.

23. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Please let us know how it goes.

I went to the one close to the office yesterday during lunch. The guy had no idea about esim, but he went through "switching" my number to the esim. Then the phone came up with the QR reader screen, but he said they do not have cards to read, nor anything showing on the screen. So he had to switch my number back to a new physical SIM.

24. trapstar macrumors newbie

trapstar