Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I have a Mac Plus that I occasionally play around with. My current project is to try to get a modern day photo to display on the Plus.

I have Graphic Converter on my M1 MBA and I have converted the photo to Black & White using Atkinson. I have also reduced the resolution. I'm able to open this on my M1 Air.

I tried USB floppy drive and copying files but that has not worked. So, I purchased a Floppy Emu. I'm new to all this emulation and disk image stuff, but I think I have figured out how to get files onto the SD card and now I can see the files on the Mac Plus.

But...the files show with just an empty icon and they do not open on the Plus. I have saved as PIC, PICT, .MAC, and even TIFF. Nothing will open on the Mac Plus. Again, the icons just look like an empty piece of paper. I thought all these formats were native to QuickDraw and should work.

I have System 6.0.8 and System 3.2 on the Floppy Emu. Again, I think now I know how to get files on via Basilisk II (but even that seems flaky, sometimes the files don't appear on the Mac Plus). I have MacDraw, MacWrite...its strange that MacPaint won't launch though.

So, I need help with getting the proper image format/file type/image file format. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? What would be the steps to convert a modern 24MP JPEG to a format that can be opened and viewed on a Mac Plus?

Bonus question---anyone know how I can get a working .DSK image file of System 7, and load that on the Emu?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
What program are you using on the Mac Plus to try to open the image file?

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I've tried double clicking on the files--I've had them as .MAC, .PIC, .PCT and .TIFF. I get an error: "The document "my file.tiff" could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found."

I thought these would be "native" files and open in MacPaint or MacDraw. I've also tried File/Open from MacDraw.

MacPaint in the FloppyEmu 6.0.8 disk image will not load on my Plus. I think it says memory issue or something.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
There’s been 30 years of image format specification changes since those programs were written. Does not surprise me they can’t open modern files.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Are the files "typed" as e.g. PICT or TIFF? Simply having ".pict" on the end of the name has no effect in the classic Mac OS.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Thanks all.

Yeah...I was using Graphic Convert to convert these. I'm not expecting a 24MP JPEG to open on the Plus.

I converted to B&W, scaled to 332x300, and saved as PICT, TIFF, and eventually MacPaint (.Mac)--MacPaint format wasn't in the intial dropdown, I had to select "Show All" in Graphic Converter's Save As dialog.

Anyway...I think the MacPaint (.Mac) format did the trick. But honesty I did a few other things so not sure. But I was finally able to open the image in Basillik II emulator, then copy the file into the 6.0.8 disk image for Floppy Emu.

I was then able to open the file in MacDraw on the Plus!

Here is my Golden Retriever (Mario) on a 37 year old computer...we said goodbye to Mario last August.

Mario on Mac Plus.jpg

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Just curious, certainly no judgment or anything, was there a "purpose" or just for the heck of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.