How to organise my Applications folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RedTomato, Jun 22, 2007.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Hiya,

I try to be tidy and I like to keep my applications organised by theme.

When I first got my PB, 2 years ago, I believed what Apple said - 'it just works' so I happily renamed some applications, and moved others into their own section folder e.g. all the graphics apps in one, all the movie apps in another etc.

Lo and behold, OSX broke in various strange ways, Software Update didn't work with some apps etc.

I got worried, and moved everything back to their original names and locations, which helped matters a lot. Software Update now worked properly (tho Safari still crashes all the time, which isn't that big a deal as I use Firefox)

Now, after 2 years, I have 130+ apps in the Apps folder. Help! Often when I want to do something I haven't done in a while, I just can't find the app, as I can't rememebr the name and am reduced to peering down the list of 130+ apps hoping some obsure non-relevant name will jog my memory.

How can I organise my App folder without breaking things again?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

As far as I remember, the only apps that shouldn't be renamed/relocated are the apple apps. I think apps you have installed yourself (unless they had an installer) can be run from any folder.

Also, have you thought about adding spotlight comments to each app (highlight the app and press apple+I). You could put in keywords that you could search for in spotlight to find the app you are looking for.

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I think it's ridiculous that Apple requires you to keep all programs in the apps. folder. Doesn't make sense to me, and I think it undoes the whole "it just works" idea like you said.

My solution was Valet. Yes, another program to keep track of, but it does let you organize apps in other folders. Not the best program all around, but it does what you're wanting.:)

4. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Mm thanks.

About 1/3 of the apps were with an installer, and I have no idea which 1/3 so best to leave them where they are I think.

Thanks for the spotlight/valet thing. I already use Butler as a launcher and like the way it gives me instant keyboard launch of all my regular apps. It's only when I can't remember the name that I have problems..

Maybe I could make shortcuts to all the apps, make a new App folder with just shortcuts in it, arrange the shortcuts as I want, and replace the Dock / Sidebar apps folder with that one?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, that would work. Create an alias for each app, arrange them how you like and use that structure to launch all your apps

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and it shows how you can create folders to organize everything. It does mainly come off as a launcher program though from all their description though.

7. Pudi macrumors newbie

I don't care any longer about the organization of my applications folder since I'm using quicksilver

quicksilver.blacktree.com

It's a cool tool to launch any application directly from the desktop and has easy use as spotlight.

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I have to agree that Quicksilver is an amazing launcher. Even with the most perfectly organized folders (and I'm pretty anal) Quicksilver is still a godsend. I know you're asking about a specific folder, but with QS it's much less of a concern and you can be more productive :)

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Create a folder anywhere you want, call it "My Applications" or anything you want. Make subfolders inside it any way you like it. Then fill it with alias files that point to the applications you want, call the aliases anything you want. Leave the application folder itself unchanged. Remove the real "Applications" folder from the Dock, put _your_ "My Applications" folder into the Dock instead.
    l

10. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I might do that. How do I give the new folder the same (or similar) icon as the original Applications folder?

11. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Get Info, then copy 'n' paste as usual.