Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With iOS 13 and tvOS 13, Apple users are now able to connect their favorite console controllers to an iPhone or Apple TV. In this guide, we've provided a quick rundown of how to go about pairing the DualShock 4 Wireless Controller and Xbox Wireless Controller to both iOS and tvOS devices.

how-to-controller-5.jpg

Previously, MFi controllers were the only solution to playing games on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. With the new update, console players don't need to spend extra money on another controller to play iOS and tvOS games. PS4 players also have a reason to look into DualShock 4 pairing since Sony's Remote Play iOS app provides streaming of compatible games to the iPhone or iPad, which can now be controlled by a DualShock 4.

How to connect the DualShock 4 Wireless Controller to iPhone or iPad

1. Press and hold the PS logo and Share buttons simultaneously on your DualShock 4 controller until the light bar flashes.
  2. Open your iOS device's Settings app and navigate to Bluetooth.
  3. Under "Other Devices," tap on your DualShock 4 wireless controller.
How to connect the Xbox Wireless Controller to iPhone or iPad

1. Press the Xbox button to turn on the Xbox Wireless Controller.
  2. Press and hold the Connect button for a few seconds.
  3. Open your iOS device's Settings app and navigate to Bluetooth.
  4. Under "Other Devices," tap on your Xbox Wireless Controller.
how-to-controller-3.jpg
Sony's Remote Play iOS app controlled via DualShock 4

The steps for pairing controllers with an Apple TV are largely similar to the ones for iOS devices. You can find this information below.

How to connect the DualShock 4 Wireless Controller to Apple TV

1. Press and hold the PS logo and Share buttons simultaneously on your DualShock 4 controller until the light bar flashes.
  2. Open the Settings app on Apple TV > click Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth.
  3. Select the DualShock 4 Wireless Controller to pair it, which will be confirmed with a notification on tvOS.
How to connect the Xbox Wireless Controller to Apple TV

1. Press the Xbox button to turn on the Xbox Wireless Controller.
  2. Press and hold the Connect button for a few seconds.
  3. Open the Settings app on Apple TV > click Remotes and Devices > Bluetooth.
  4. Select the Xbox Wireless Controller to pair it, which will be confirmed with a notification on tvOS.
It should be noted that for the DualShock 4, some controller functions will not be functional while connected to an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. These include the touchpad, the central PS button, rumble, motion sensor, and the headphone jack. The light bar will also remain one color and can not be changed.

Both the PS4 and Xbox controllers will stay connected to the iOS/tvOS device you've paired them with until you re-pair them with your console. To reconnect a DualShock 4 with a PS4, you'll need to manually connect the controller with the console via the micro-USB to USB cable each controller comes with. For Xbox, you can press the connect button on the controller and the console at the same time, or use a micro-USB to USB cable.

Article Link: How to Pair a DualShock 4 or Xbox Wireless Controller With iPhone and Apple TV

Last edited:
Reactions: Markobes

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
It should be noted that for the DualShock 4, some controller functions will not be functional while connected to an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. These include the touchpad, the central PS button, rumble, motion sensor, and the headphone jack.
Does this mean rumble works on the Xbox One controller? And what does the Guide button do? Act as a Home button?

Reactions: Zoboomafoo

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
It should be noted that for the DualShock 4, some controller functions will not be functional while connected to an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV. These include the touchpad, the central PS button, rumble, motion sensor, and the headphone jack. The light bar will also remain one color and can not be changed
Why is this? I guess I can see the rumble and motion sensor but why doesn’t the touchpad work?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'm curious if this supports any wireless controller, or just the standard types. I've always had issues connecting my Wii U pro controller to my mac without some dedicated software (like OpenEmu)

princered

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
It should be noted that all Xbox One controllers do not work. Must be Xbox One S or later. I have multiple controllers from my day one Xbox one that don’t work. These are separate generations than the newer ones. With slightly different designs.

Reactions: miamialley

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
So... before shelling out $50... any noted differences between controllers? I've heard Microsoft controllers have better battery life?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So... before shelling out $50... any noted differences between controllers? I've heard Microsoft controllers have better battery life?
I've owned both consoles and as far as just using the controller, I don't see much difference... just personal taste. I do think the XBox got a little better battery life. For me what makes the XBox controller a better choice for this is it has replaceable AA batteries, where the PS4 controller has to be recharged over USB. So if the PS4 battery runs down, you are done playing, where with the XBox you can just swap in some new AAs. I used Eneloop rechargeables and it worked out well for me.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
How do I switch from an iPad to an Apple TV for example? Do I have to re-pair every time I switch devices?

My controller automatically connects to the last device it was paired to and if I try to switch devices it fails to connect unless I de enter pairing mode.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
For me what makes the XBox controller a better choice for this is it has replaceable AA batteries, where the PS4 controller has to be recharged over USB. So if the PS4 battery runs down, you are done playing, where with the XBox you can just swap in some new AAs. I used Eneloop rechargeables and it worked out well for me.

This is false.
The PS4 controller can be used to play while charging via charging cable. Environmentally conscious, this is better than buying batteries to use then discard.
[automerge]1571720306[/automerge]
How do I switch from an iPad to an Apple TV for example? Do I have to re-pair every time I switch devices?

My controller automatically connects to the last device it was paired to and if I try to switch devices it fails to connect unless I de enter pairing mode.

Yes. For now, you have to unpair from one device and pair to each time you want to use it on with different device.

Imagine in the next generation systems, Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo had the W1 chip via Apple...then, I’m sure switching from system to system would be a breeze and be linked to your Apple ID.

One can dream right?

Last edited:

Laptopdog78

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2014
Be warned though that if you have your Xbox set up to turn on with the controller then that is what will happen before you even have chance to connect to your iOS device. This does my head in, so the only way without going through the Xbox turn on and disconnect process, is to get as far away from the Xbox as possible and connect to iOS so that the Xbox didn’t pick it up lol.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is false.

It is true you can run it off a USB cable, but I'm not sure how many people have a USB cable running to the sofa.

The PS4 controller can be used to play while charging via charging cable. Environmentally conscious, this is better than buying batteries to use then discard.

I mentioned in my post I used Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
It is true you can run it off a USB cable, but I'm not sure how many people have a USB cable running to the sofa.I mentioned in my post I used Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

I bought a really long USB cable on Amazon for that exact scenario but I can see that being the exception and not the norm!

I thought this was the norm, because that’s what I did, not to mention for the price, I have multiple. Great for gaming with friends or if you have an extra console in your bedroom and your controllers go kaput.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
A bit sad the connecting the controller back to the console can't be achieved without connecting a cable between them. But maybe good for Sony and Microsoft since it makes me consider getting more controllers just for iOS/tvOS/macOS play. ? Not so good for the environment... ?

Laptopdog78

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2014
A bit sad the connecting the controller back to the console can't be achieved without connecting a cable between them. But maybe good for Sony and Microsoft since it makes me consider getting more controllers just for iOS/tvOS/macOS play. ? Not so good for the environment... ?

But you can connect an Xbox controller back easily without a cable....... you press the sync button on the controller until it flashes and then the sync button on the Xbox intil it flashes and boom it’s done. Who says that you need a cable?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
But you can connect an Xbox controller back easily without a cable....... you press the sync button on the controller until it flashes and then the sync button on the Xbox intil it flashes and boom it’s done. Who says that you need a cable?

Good no cable is required for the get the Xbox controller back to the console! For the DualShock 4 it seems one needs to connect the USB cable back to the console – at least I have not found another way of doing it on my PS4 Pro.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Good no cable is required for the get the Xbox controller back to the console! For the DualShock 4 it seems one needs to connect the USB cable back to the console – at least I have not found another way of doing it on my PS4 Pro.

That hasn't been a big deal for me. I plug it in to the console to charge it anyway.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
That hasn't been a big deal for me. I plug it in to the console to charge it anyway.
Aha. I put them on the DualShock 4 Charging Station. The console is hidden behind a wooden frame with a piece of fabric around it – which is what we have to hide all the electronics underneath the TV in the living room – so never really need to connect a controller to the console, plus it's a bit of a hassle in my case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.