how to pay for new iphone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elykoj1, Sep 28, 2017.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Yes, please don't buy any, so I can buy a dozen of them.. I can make a ton of money on them! :D

2. elykoj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

UMMM NO..LOL I am 46 years old.. I have money on a few gift cards and want to use them on the new phone..How does that make you assume I am "under age"? lol
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    how is it being "ill equipped" lol. I have a few hundred dollars on a few gift cards that I want to spend towards the new phone
    ok, I am confused.. my last 2 phones I was able to set up payment plan with Verizon over the course of 2 years... you are saying they don't allow you to do that any longer?
    Thank you Damon..lol. you hit the nail on the head. I am 46 years old and make good money. The question was a simple one, I have a few gift cards with money on them and I have a trade in of my old phone.. Why wouldn't I use that as available cash towards this new overpriced phone? lol.. I am not sure what these people don't understand about my question
    Verizon or Apple doesn't accept Visa gift cards?

3. trsblader macrumors 6502

It was a simple question based on other similar posts in the forums, not an assumption. Every year many kids who are in high school save up their money and birthday gifts to make purchases around this time to try to make purchases in similar fashion... trading everything they have plus scraping together multiple gift cards. Sorry for trying to offer advice, you clearly have it all figured out without our help.

4. elykoj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

no I don't, that's why I asked. the question basically was will Apple or Verizon take visa gift cards that I have money on, as money down towards a new phone? not could I afford it..lol

5. trsblader macrumors 6502

And from mine (and others) entire post the only thing you actually looked at....was the part on whether you could afford it or not. Okie dokie then, good luck with that.

6. elykoj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I think you all misunderstood what I was trying to ask, lol. I am a 46 year old with money. Its not that I cannot afford the damn phone, my question was when I go to buy the phone will Verizon or Apple take my Visa gift cards that I have money sitting on, as well as my trade in phone towards the cost of the new X? I know some places don't allow that many forms of payment. And the second part of that was if so... can the remaining balance of the new X be paid out over the the next 1-2 years? when I bought my current 6plus over 2 years ago, it was on a payment plan monthly thru Verizon

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Verizon will (at least, they did a year ago) allow you to put extra money towards the device to lower your payments. I’m not sure about Apple...since they finance through a 3rd party I wouldn’t be surprised if they can’t do this.

Keep in mind however, that if you want an X on launch day, you’ll almost certainly need to pre-order. What you’re doing is moderately complex, so pre-ordering probably won’t allow you to do all of this. You’d have to show up at a Verizon (or Apple) Store on launch day and hope they have some inventory.

EDIT: Oh yeah, in my opinion, the best option is always “Straight Cash Homey”. As @ValhallaOutcast said.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I don't think it works like that.

Where do you intend to buy the phone from - Apple, the carrier, or ???

If from Apple, the Apple gift cards might be used, but the trade-in credit can't (assuming the trade-in value isn't from Apple).

As the poster who said I was maybe belittling anyone...no, I wasn't. Just that if you are scrambling around trying to apply all these different options, maybe it's a sign that the purchase should be put on hold or scrapped for the time being.

9. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

They accept gift cards, I'm sure, but I'm not sure they'll accept them for a down payment. That's why you need to talk to them in person when making the transaction. If they can just put everything down on your bill, though, then you might be able to use the gift cards to pay off the bill. Still, you'd have to go pay in person because you're using multiple gift cards, and I don't think you can do that online.

Why are you even asking this here? Why don't you ask someone at Verizon or Apple? I never understand why people ask questions like this here instead of going straight to the source.

10. andyw715 macrumors 65816

Just a note to OP, when editing the OP it would be nice for you to highlight what was edited.

The original text did have the tone, as some would say, of a younger person trying to scrounge up money to buy the X. Thus some of the replies.

A newcomer to the thread might be confused by the responses to the now changed OP.

11. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

Pay the balance upfront. And from your bank end convert the amount into an EMI.
    Nope. Ideally, if you need to save for a Phone in a developed country, you just can’t afford it. Until your checking account averages at least USD 10k plus at its lowest, and also increases by say USD 1000+ each month after paying everything, you really can’t truly afford a USD 1000 phone.

12. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

You could combine your Visa cards to buy an Apple gift card.

13. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Why don't you just buy one outright at the Apple store? It's a one-stop process then.

1) Give them 6S. They give you Apple gift card for $x.
    2) Get iPhone, store staff will then enter the details of the gift card to reduce the amount owing.
    3) Make store staff enter details of Visa gift cards, further reducing amount owing
    4) Pay off final remaining amount with cash or debit card or whatever
    5) Walk out with phone, enjoy not being tied down to a 24 month plan.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Considering how many people (in the US) pay the minimum credit card balance every month, I doubt they have 10k in the bank .

15. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

You would have to cook them first obviously!

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Judging by what the OP posted, he'd like it to be on a payment plan.

17. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

Yeah, then he said he can afford it outright easily he just wants to use up his gift cards... Outright is so much easier than having to sign stuff and things

18. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

But are any of these people buying the iPhone X?

19. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Apple allows for down payments on carrier upgrade plans. You can for example buy an iPhone X on AT&T Next and put down a $500 downpayment. With your gift cards, you likely have to do this in the store.

20. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Of course, some are planning to.

They will just keep paying the minimum amount each month...then declare bankruptcy later on.

21. Benny_G macrumors member

If its anything like the pre-paid Visa card we get here in the UK, I would try consolidate them into cash. Its pretty easy to do. Signup to your favourite gambling site and deposit the money into your online account from these cards.

Then just simply withdraw the money back into your bank account.

Not sure if they would let you setup a payment plan for just the rest of the outstanding money though. But again, if its anything like the UK, the agreement is with a 3rd party (Barclays Bank). As its zero interest anyway, it makes more sense to leave said money in your bank and just use it to pay off your monthly payments til you run out. That way you will make a tiny bit of money on the interest from the money sat in your bank.

Make sense?

22. elykoj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured between the trade in of my 6plus and two visa cards I would have around $600 to put towards new phone and the remaining balance on my monthly bill

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Well I hope you can apply all that to the new phone. Talk to them.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

the only problem I see is that your checkout will be a little complicated and take a while so it would be hard to imagine your delivery date being on introduction day.

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Which carrier?

I'd just buy using the carrier plan, then use that money to pay it off in store. You can pay it off early, or take your time. Matters not.

If you try to check out the way you describe, you'll be waiting a long time for a phone. It sounds like you have plenty of money to do a carrier plan and enough to pay for the phone for a year, until the next model comes out and you could theoretically upgrade again if you want.