Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justin-shedworx

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Perth, Australia
After some web research, i found this software to be the easiest way to convert mts/m2ts files:

http://www.pavtube.com/mts-converter-mac/

Yet another FFmpeg knock-off. You can find them on the FFmpeg Hall of Shame - there's hundreds of them out there.

If you want an ffmpeg player, VLC for Mac and PC is the way to go.

All these little knock-off apps are just GUIs over an ffmpeg GPL build.

ymarker

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
I believe the orginal post wanted to know how to play AVCHD (.mts or .m2ts) in it's raw format, without transcoding or importing into another format first.

Well with Windows 7 and the new Media Player that comes with it can play these and many other formats natively, without additional codecs or 3rd party tools.
:)

Yep with gpu hardware acceleration keeping cpu at about 10% utilization. You can also use a free program called mpc-hc under win. dxva is a beautiful thing.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Looks like some people on this thread have experience with VoltaicHD. I was planning on buying something like this to convert AVCHD into AIC or ProRes, before importing into FCP. However, VoltaicHD only converts to AIC, and I'd like to also be able to convert it to ProRes. Any other suggestions for third party software that will do this?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Just curious, but why not let FCP convert the file itself? I do this with iMovie 09 and it works fine.

Jatusuo54

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
I have a Canon HF100. I love it! However, I cannot seem to find an OS X app that will play the raw AVCHD files from the HF100's SD card. I have tried the latest nightly build of VLC but it is unstable and fails to play the video all the way through.

I did find an AVCHD player for Windows XP called Oxygen, however, as you can see from going to the site it has been stopped due to copyright issues or something like that.

Surely someone here must know of a native Mac OS X app to play these files.????

To be honest, it is common for us to meet the problem like this “We captured footage with the Canon HF20 Hi-Def Camcorder, transferred the video files onto an external drive. We're now trying to import those MTS files into Mac book, but it seems they are not supported... how do you import them?”
Of course, someone often choose VLC or some AVCHD Codecs, but the consequence is choppy. For me, I suggest that you convert your AVCHD files to other formats like MOV and MP4 compatible with Mac computer.

Just search some AVCHD Converter for Mac from search engine and choose one of them. Personally, I've used Moyea MTS Converter for Mac which runs better in converting AVCHD/MTS files.

Faithfully urs:
Jason

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
WELL I BOUGHT A SONY HDR-SR12 TAPELESS VIDEO CAMCORDER AND IM WORRIED WITH ALL THESE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES I WONT BE ABLE TO IMPORT / PLAYBACK MY RECORDINGS IN HIGH DEF I HAVE A BRAND NEW MACBOOK PRO 2.6GHZ 4GB MEMORY INTEL 2CORE DUO COULD YOU TELL ME ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP ME PEOPLE SAY THE OS WONT EVEN RECOGNIZE THE CAMERA WHEN CONNECTED

This completely breathless sentence makes me want to chainsaw my testicles off.

TheItaliano1

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Prism video converter works very well for converting AVCHD files. Converting a mts file (1080p) to a mov file (also 1080p) only takes twice as long as the video is to convert it.

Here's the link to the product page: http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/
But i'm sure you people are smart enough to find *cough* other ways *cough* to obtain the program

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
VLC but dual core machine

Yes, VLC is the only FREE way and don't even think about it unless you have a dual core machine with lots of ram. g5, no bloody way!! You'll get very choppy playback.

hsia12210

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Yes, VLC is the only FREE way and don't even think about it unless you have a dual core machine with lots of ram. g5, no bloody way!! You'll get very choppy playback.

yes, just use VLC, it can play,
but if you want to import AVCHD(.MTS/.M2TS) files to FCP or iMovie for editing, you must convert AVCHD to other format like .MOV, I think, more people want to edit the AVCHD files, right it?
:)

kwheaties

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I just want to play back my mts movies without converting. My Canon came with ImageMixer for windows which plays the mts movies great (even on a 3+ year old laptop), but there's no Mac option. My 1.5 year old Macbook can't keep up using VLC and it's super choppy.

What's the overall consensus for the best playback and conversion s/w options?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
My MacBook Pro (2.2 GHz, Santa Rosa) plays them just fine using VLC, even straight off the memory card via USB card reader.

Still, I wish there was more native support for AVCHD files, especially considering this seems to be the direction everyone is going for video.

kwheaties

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Really? Well my 1.87GHz Macbook can't keep up... also, to clarify, my camcorder is recording HD natively (full 1920x1080) so that's probably also why it has issues.

Yonidass

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Try Movist

My new free AVCHD player of choice: Movist

You can download it here: http://code.google.com/p/movist/downloads/list

This is also the best player I've found on the Mac for playing WMV files. Much better than VLC. VLC also will not play my NXCAM MTS files (Sony's variety) without stuttering and I'm using a Mac Pro 8 core.

There's also Toast Titanium's Video Player but, of course, you need Toast for that. I have version 10 so I'm not sure if there even is a video player for earlier versions.

kwheaties

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Movist works great! The video quality seems downgraded, but that's probably why it runs so smooth now.

I have Toast Titanium 10, but I don't see a video player... must be a separate purchase.

shinster

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2009
Its politics and antitrust

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2887

Intel is aggressively putting a stop to OpenCL and CUDA development.
At least until they can come up with a SOC (system on a chip), that integrates a GPU with the CPU.

This way, Intel has time to develop its hardware while preventing companies like Nvidia from profiting from GPUs. Once Intel releases its SOC chips, they will disable Nvidia from working on Intel motherboards.

Intel has already been sued half a billion dollars in Europe for trying to bankrupt their competitor AMD, and sued over 300 million in the U.S. for stealing their patents. Clearly, Intel is positioning itself to bankrupt its competitors and become a monopoly in the CPU/GPU world. Intel is in a legal battle now with Nvidia because of the newer chipsets that will not allow Nvidia cards to work on them. Intel also threatens retailers and manufacturer to use Intel chips/chipsets instead of competitor or else... !!!

Their influence over the judicial system, developers and system manufactures is terrifying.

They employ hundreds of bloggers to hype up their products while bashing their competitors. I assure you there are corpbloggers in this thread.

Remember Rockafeller and Gates when they were building their empires?
Intel is no different. The real losers will be the consumers. We'll be stuck with few selections, little to no innovations and high prices.
Some evil companies such as Monsanto actually survive and thrive after a barrage of legal law suites because they have so much money and influence over the government. Intel, may very well be the next Monsanto.

Good news is that Mac OS X 10.6 is OpenCL compatible. There are Nvidia and AMD GPUs currently in Macs that are OpenCL compatible. Its just a matter of someone having the courage and power to get through the Intel red tapes. On the Windows platform a few have done it. But for some reason, Windows 7 is much less efficient then Vista at GPU utilization. A 10 CPU utilization encoding on a Vista takes 30% to 50% CPU utilization on Windows 7. Hence, for some reason Windows 7 has forced the CPU to be a bigger part of computation on Windows 7 then on Vista, making the CPU more important on 7 then Vista... Wintel.

epicfail

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
I just let imovie09 convert the mts files to mov when ever I upload. Videos still look great :D

wburnham

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
For those of you running .mts or .m2ts through Plex. Can you tell me what type mac you & processor and how much GB of ram you have?

I have a 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini with 2 GB of ram.

When I play these files through Plex, they skip & play really slow. Really unwatchable.

Same with VLC...skips & does not play well.

Wondering if I just need to get 2 more GB of ram and that will fix it.
Curious what everyone else has.

Any help would be appreciated.

wburnham

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Still no dice for me...still is choppy & unwatchable in both plex & VLC.

If anyone can tell me what type mac, processor speed, how many GB of ram, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks!

SeaOtter

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
This is more of a performance related question involving the handling of mts files, so here goes.

I have a MBP 15" 2.6 Ghz Core Duo w/ 2G ram. I want to get video off of my Canon HF10 and onto DVD with as little degradation as possible. The options I've looked at for software are Toast 10 and iLife.

I don't have any idea how long a process this is typically either so if someone could give me an idea about turning, say a half hour of HD video, into a playable DVD that'd be great as well.

Strictly related to the performance of my computer in handling this process, which piece of software would be best?

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Yes you can!! PLAY MTS files!

the mts/m2ts file can not be played on your MAC
SO you have to convert mts/m2ts file to other formats,like mp4.mov.avi and ect playable on your MAC
U can have a try Aunsoft MTS/M2TS converter for mac which is designed specially for Mac users
it can help you to convert mts/m2ts files to almost any video formats you need.
very easy and fast to use.

If you have a newish MAC you can easily play MTS files:
Players:

Movist - http://code.google.com/p/movist/downloads/list FREE
VLC Player - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
Toast 10 - $80
Voltaic - $35

and you can even browse thumbnails of them in finder with:
HD quicklook $7 http://www.shedworx.com/hdquicklook

so don't tell me you can't play em on a mac. Yes, if you edit them you must convert them:

FCP - log and transfer
iMovie - plug in camera and you're ready to roll
Clipwrap - turns em into simple H.264 files
Voltaic - Converts them to H.264 or other codecs

but you can most definitely play them first if you desire.
and probably a few more ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.