How to prevent drive from auto mounting at startup?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PicnicTutorials, May 31, 2015.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I have a CCC Bootable copy on a connected external drive and I don't want the bootable partition mounting when I start my computer. The only solutions I've been able to find are those messing with in/with Terminal and seem overly complicated. There has to be a simple way?

2. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I have been told by apple that there is no method to a locally attached (be it internet or external) drive not mount inside of OSx on startup. As well, I have been told that there is no method either of having remote network drives get automatically mounted on startup. I guess this is just one of those limitations of Apple OS.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Buy a cheap second drive for the Bootable copy then unplug it when required.

4. Thessman macrumors regular

See this discussion:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/hiding-drives-on-the-desktop.1862306/#post-21123046

here is the summary:
    . Open the Terminal utility (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder)
    . Edit the fstab file by running the following command (supply your password when prompted):
sudo pico /etc/fstab

. Create a new line at the end of the file that looks like the following (note: replace "NUMBER" with the full UUID string you copied from Disk Utility):
UUID=NUMBER none hfs rw,noauto
    . Save the file by pressing Control-O, followed by Control-X to quit the editor.

5. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Thanks. I will give that a try. Being a newly converted Mac user, I have yet to figure out the full potential of this new Apple beast that I have just got.