Other How to prevent iPhone from switching audio to CarPlay?

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I have a hearing problem and can only use my phone via a Bluetooth assistive device.

When I connect my phone to my car to use Maps or other functionality via CarPlay, it assumes I want my audio routed through the car’s sound system. No. I want (and need) it to stay connected through my assistive device.

It will even switch if audio is currently streaming!

How to prevent this automatic switching while still enabling Maps etc?

victoriani

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
Hertfordshire, UK
I have a hearing problem and can only use my phone via a Bluetooth assistive device.

When I connect my phone to my car to use Maps or other functionality via CarPlay, it assumes I want my audio routed through the car’s sound system. No. I want (and need) it to stay connected through my assistive device.

Try setting your audio routing to hearing devices only. Mine worked until iOS 13 and now CarPlay overrules my hearing aids unfortunately and it won’t automatically stream to my hearing aids despite having it on the same settings as before 😖

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

This is low tech but it worked yesterday for me. Driving at night and my car screen brightness couldn’t be turned down enough when I was driving on rural roads with no street lights. I turned off car display and propped my phone up on car’s screen just using the iPhone as the maps display. Not connected to CarPlay at all. Worked great. Sometimes low tech is best tech.

victoriani

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2013
Hertfordshire, UK
True. I am considering resorting to my car iPhone holder and not using CarPlay until this is resolved. Streaming music etc is much better to my hearing aids so it is a bit frustrating. My Apple Watch doesn't like it either and will disconnect from my iPhone if I switch to streaming to my hearing aids manually via CarPlay so it's obviously a bluetooth thing.