How to print with 4.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clayk, Nov 22, 2010.

1. clayk, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

clayk macrumors member

I hope this has not already been posted. My searches have been in vain.

Is there a FAQ or tutorial on how to print with 4.2? Do you have to have one of those fancy HP printers or can you print to a "shared" printer on your network, through a mac or airport express. Thanks for any help you can give.

Clay

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

As of now you have to have one of the new e-print HP printers, or download Printopia or Fingerprint which allows printing over shared printers.

3. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

FWIW, I just purchased and installed printopia and 5 seconds later it worked like a champ. Well worth the hassle free factor, in the interim, IMHO.

Here is a good TUAW article on it.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I just saw a similar article on MDN and man what a great freaking program. Bought it after I tried out the free download. Excellent, excellent, excellent product! This is how printing should be!!!!!

5. elie195, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

elie195 macrumors newbie

6. ROFL212 macrumors newbie

You Don't Have to Buy Anything for Shared Printing with AirPrint

At the last minute, Apple decided that shared printing wasn't ready for the iOS 4.2 release. This is pretty frustrating if you just want to print something off of your iPad or iPhone and don't want to buy another App or one of those fancy new HP printers.

Fortunately, there is already a nice work around out that allows you to print to a shared printer on your network, through a Mac or a PC. As a PC person, I'll say that it's not rocket science to set it up, but you'll have to do a little work with files and permissions. It's great to finally be able to sit on the couch and print from my iPhone to the network.

Here is a simple YouTube tutorial that gives a link back to files here on MacRumors.

How To Setup AirPrint For PC/Mac
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GlHQHB-74U

7. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Is it 100% accurate this printopia or fingerprint will actually work? I just bought a wireless canon printer a couple weeks ago and was looking forward to the airprint feature, but since it only works with certain hp printers, I'm out of luck.

Even though 10 bucks isn't a big deal, it sucks we have to pay for this, when we could of gotten it for free in this update if apple was ready to put it out.

8. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Printopia offers a free trial download. Try that first to see if it works.

I'm guessing it will!

9. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I don't get it. If 3rd party companies can offer Printopia and Printershare that enables wifi printing seamlessly for all printers, why is it rocket science for Apple to not figure this out for Air Print?

10. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Just a quick question about Printopia. Will it work with my Canon MP560????

11. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I have to admit I'm left wondering too? I don't need to print much anymore but it would be much easier if I did not need another App.

I'm probably going to give Printopia a try even tho I have PrintMagic App and that works fine with my Printers.

12. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Printopia isn't an app that runs on your iPad. It is a program that runs on your Mac.

13. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Great, Printopia screwed up the sleep mode on both of my Macs. Everytime I click "Sleep" now it takes the comp 15 secs to go to sleep, when it used to take less than a second.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am hoping apple intergrates this function into the OS. It seems apple doesn't want to have to add another program to print from. Or add it to iTunes.

15. imacken macrumors 65816

Once again, Apple pulled the facility from the release version of 4.2. It was working perfectly in the 1st GM build.
    It's not that they can't figure it out. No-one is quite sure why it was pulled. Favourite theories are rights issues and technical hitches.
    Still, with the well-publicised Windows and OS X workarounds it can still work perfectly.

16. georgee2face macrumors member

where do i find this download for airprint?

thanks
    g

17. imacken macrumors 65816

Are you on OS X or Windows?

18. georgee2face macrumors member

19. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Apple most certainly did not remove it from 4.2. It was removed from the final build of the latest Mac OS update (it was in the betas). Airprint works in 4.2. Mac OS has to handle providing shared printers to iOS and it doesn't currently.

20. H14 macrumors newbie

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You don't need Printopia or anything. Or a tutorial on the files. Google, download and run a little script app someone made and is featured on TUAW or 9to5Mac called AirPrint Hacktivator. It is free. It installs the 3 little files. Delete the shared printer after running. Reboot. Re-add the shared printer. Works like a charm. Whole thing took my less than 3 minutes. Already printed 3 test emails from my iPad and iPhone and no problems.

Printer: Canon MP530.

22. Zcott macrumors 68020

Printopia is the only solution that works without 10.6.5, and is the only solution that works on PowerPC (my old G4 Mini is a print server now!)

23. Juca33 macrumors newbie

Printer ask for pasword

I downloaded program, now Ipad sees de printer, but ask me for pasword, my computer does not have any pasword enabled, now what shuld I do?