How to prove I had a dedicated graphics card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amnak, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.... Ok I've been on macrumors before asking if my old SR 07 MBP had a dedicated graphics card and I was told yes, well long story short I had an extended warranty at BB and I got my money back but not all of it only enough for the base 15. So I went back to best buy and the apple sales man was there and told me that it was spec for spec better then my old one. But it's not I know because of other things I've read on this forum.

So guys I need lagitamit sources to take to best buy and tell them that there wrong can you help me out?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They can probably see from logs what MBP did you have and it should tell them that it had dedicated GPU. If you have the original receipt, it's even better

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

First of all, all 15" & 17" MBPs had & have dedicated GPUs. This was as a standard part of the "Pro" package until they decided to rename the 13" MB to MBP..

Anyway, you always can check here for your specific model: www.everymac.com

4. macuser154 macrumors 6502

Most of the specs of the base 15" will be better than your SR '07 model. The only thing lacking in the base 15" is the graphics card, which is an integrated chip rather than the dedicated one in your '07 MBP.

5. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

I know but I need the better graphics card and I truly can't pay out of pocket.

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

So locate and print out a copy of the specs of your old machine. Done.

7. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

8. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you can't beat a visual with sj in it :)

9. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I fail to understand your meaning.
    All Macbooks pro or otherwise have GPUs or how would one se a picture?

However the 17inch MBP and the more expensive 15inch MBP have 2 GPUs, one with dedicated ram and one which pinches system RAM.

Or have I misunderstood it all?

10. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

http://support.apple.com/specs/#macbookpro
    and you will need your serial number.

11. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's why mmulin wrote dedicated GPUs.
    Because they have a dedicated GPU chip, unlike the integrated ones, which are built into the chipset (Intel or Nvidia).

13. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

He said ALL 15inch MBPs have dedicated GPU.

Mine doesn't, that's why I wondered what on earth he meant.

doris

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, confused the names.

But mmulin is right when the MBPs we talk about are the pre-unibody ones, as the OP does have a pre-unibody one.

15. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The ATi Radeon X1600, NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT, and the NVIDIA Geforce 9600M GT used on the MacBook Pro notebooks are the dedicated graphics cards.

The Intel GMA 950, Intel GMA X3100, and the NVIDIA Geforce 9400M are all integrated graphics options that use your system RAM.

From this picture:
    [​IMG]

The one circled in blue, you will note it says "shared with main memory"; that's always a dead give away that it uses integrated graphics. When you have dedicated graphics it will say how much VRAM it uses and will not say "shared" or "allocated" from main memory; notice this in the latter 2 red circles; the 2.66GHz model and the 2.8GHz/3.06GHz models are the ones with the dedicated video memory (and hence the dedicated 9600M GT graphics card).

@OP: In your case, you should be getting enough money back to buy the 2.66GHz configuration.

17. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

Consumer rights law will vary from country to country, and in some cases vary within the country itself, but in Australia, the consumer is only entitled to a refund to the same purchase price (if a refund is given).

Why should the OP be entitled to more money than the original cost of his laptop? Having a dedicated graphics card makes no difference in this case - if it was a return & exchange it might be a different story.
    If the OP didn't receive the full refund then that would also be another matter, depending on applicable consumer rights laws.

18. pengytek macrumors newbie

I don't understand how Best Buy's extended warranty plan works but if you are entitled to a refund of the full purchase price then show them the original receipt. If you don't have the original receipt they should have an electronic copy in their system.

You are not entitled to a refund of more than what you bought the laptop for. Just because you paid X amount of money for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card in 2007 and can't do the same now doesn't make Best Buy liable for the difference in cost.

I've seen stories of people with AppleCare who had their replacement laptops upgraded because the original laptop had a dedicated graphics card or an ExpressCard slot. Not so much luck with Best Buy though...

19. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

In 2007 the base MacBook Pro which had a dedicated GPU was priced at $1999. The current lower end 15" MacBook Pro with a dedicated GPU is priced at $1999. There is no price discrepancy.

20. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

After reading the OP's post through several times he hasn't stated if his old SR MBP is the 'base' config or a CTO, or other, and it sounds like he didn't get the full refund. I wouldn't be going back to Best Buy on the basis that the laptop had a dedicated card, but rather going back because they hadn't refunded the correct amount.

At any rate, by the amounts per quote above, and assuming the OP's MBP was the base model with no extras, there shouldn't be a problem buying a new MBP with the discrete graphics card.

21. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well, my train of thought went like this; at the very least the OP's MacBook Pro costed $1999 when they purchased it. Therefore it should be replaced with a MacBook Pro that costs an equal amount; thus the current base model with a dedicated GPU or the high end 15". (But if Best Buy tried to replace it with the current cheapest model 15" MacBook Pro their computer is more than likely the 2007 base model.)

22. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry I do that all the time when I ask for help. I got the purchase price of a base model for this revision which is something like $1799 when I got my model it was $1999. I wouldn't think about asking for more then I paid. I wish I could have gotten exact refund but BB doesn't do that.

Edit:I read up a few post and yes it did also have an express card slot.

23. Freyqq macrumors 68040

your old SR mbp was a lot faster in tasks requiring the GPU. The new one will be marginally faster on CPU-based tasks. I'd try to get the correct model with the dedicated video.

24. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

So basically video editting and Photoshop.

25. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Basically, no.

Video editing and Photoshop is not GPU based, although PS has some features that are speed up by using the GPU.