Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
I have AT&T. Looking online they are out of stock for the model I want but they have it available from T-Mobile for pickup. Now, if theses devices are unlocked shouldn't it really not matter?

Reactions: DustinLH00

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Anyone know when Apple charges you when you make a reservation? Is it when you pick it up, or immediately when you set the reservation?
I won't have money for the phone that I want until after the 1st, but I don't want my model to sell out either. I want to reserve for when I get paid, but only if I'm charged during pickup.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yeah, thats it though, while I can afford it, I'm too cheap, see my comment on the next quoted reply as to exactly how cheap I am.

I did a contract on my iPhone 6 but the actual upgrade went on our iPad line so my line has no contract and then Verizon is discounting my line $25/month because it is not under contract, lol. iPad line stayed the same $10 per month. At some point they will figure this out and stop letting people do this. Here is what I typically do, add insurance about 3 months prior to new phone coming out, next year, iPhone 7. Since iPhone 6S will be the "cheap" phone then they most likely will not have any 6's with 64gb in stock meaning that when I do an insurance claim on my 6, I will most likely get a 6S 64gb. Sell said 6S by one of many possible options, then order an iPhone 7 at contract (or subsidy, whichever is the best deal, usually contract) price. Pocket the cash, cancel insurance 3 months later. I've been doing this since the first iPhone in 2007. Back then they did not discount the phone at all, that is the only iPhone I've actually paid for (100% net) out of pocket. So 8 years later I've still only paid for 1 iPhone. When I got my 6 it turned out that the ESN on my 4 was still good even though it was reported at lost, Verizon gave me $200 for it, lmao, so I actually made money on my iPhone 6. I did a claim on my 32gb 5, got a 32gb 5S, sold the 5S, ordered the 6 and sent in my 4 for a rebate. Same when I went from 4 to 5 but no rebate on my 3gS, it was actually damaged anyway.

I am cheap, very cheap.
Wait, are you saying you file an insurance claim for your current phone whether it's actually damaged/stolen or not? I hope I'm reading your post wrong, but it sounds like your upgrade program is to commit insurance fraud.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Wait, are you saying you file an insurance claim for your current phone whether it's actually damaged/stolen or not? I hope I'm reading your post wrong, but it sounds like your upgrade program is to commit insurance fraud.

No, I would never do that. I seem to loose or damage my phone almost exactly every two years, pure coincidence.

iAbc21

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
CA, US
Well usually I I try to camp out for the iphone in a place called King of Prussia pa, for the past three years I've been first in line I always go to the mall very early walk around and then claim my spot later in the day, I want iPhone 6S sliver or gold 128GB straight out price like last year $1,168 including AppleCare AT&T whoa I can't wait I should be good regardless lof reservations
Haha cool. Off topic but I'm from California and I actually did a study on hotels in that area for one of my classes.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
"sign in with your Apple ID and select an Apple Store near you. You will then be required to text a code to an Apple number to receive a unique registration code to enter on Apple's website."

Glad to see they're keeping things nice and simple. "It just works".

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
Silver, Gold and Spacey Grey, -

Latest tech ambitions….

Only Rosegold looking gay,

Based just on intuition.

….
Oh, yeah!

*Accordeon*

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I believe you are right there is no way he accidentally purchases insurance right before he loses his phone, which happens to be during the launch of a new one (or shortly after when there is stock available), and then for whatever coincidental reason cancels the insurance after it has good enough customer service to upgrade to the newer model for free even though there are many MANY of the same version easily available for them to replace it with. I read his post as a straight admittance to insurance fraud and if this wasn't macrumors I think it could be considered even strong than here-say if taken to court lol.

No, I would never do that. I seem to loose or damage my phone almost exactly every two years, pure coincidence.

ummmm...yeah just read above

Reactions: imola.zhp

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Seriously tho. As big of a fan as I am, I'd never wait on one of those lines just to be the first to have the new iPhone. That's something you do if you're a teenager or an Asian tourist who plans to buy a bunch and bring them back home to resell. Lol. I'd rather wait or just order from my computer after the first hands on reviews came out.

The only time I was mentally ready to stand in-line to get an iPhone... I think it was for the iPhone 5... and when I got to the Apple Store, there was no line... FML.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I'm kind of wondering how bad it will be. Now that it's launching in China on the same day I wonder if there will be less people buying multiple phones to ship back.

NikeNikon

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
Has anyone else noticed how Apple's monthly iPhone Upgrade Program effectively has you paying $129 of AppleCare+ every year, WTH?!

No it's not. The total of the phone price + $129 / 24 is what you pay per month.

potassium404

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Question. Since they are opening an hour earlier and my reservation is for 9am (the earliest appt for the store at the time), should I just go before 8 since that wasn't available at the time of the reservation? Or do you have to wait until your time regardless? I've never done the in store pickup before.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Question. Since they are opening an hour earlier and my reservation is for 9am (the earliest appt for the store at the time), should I just go before 8 since that wasn't available at the time of the reservation? Or do you have to wait until your time regardless? I've never done the in store pickup before.

Not sure but whatever your reservation says, I'd stick to it. Luckily mine is at 0815!

Reactions: potassium404

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
That's a pretty derogatory comment to be honest. There are so many ways you can say Rosegold is not for you... but calling it "gay" is not one of them.

Did you even read my post? Ever heard of artistic expression freedom? :)

Gosh, you people:

A) don't like poetry :D
B) take everything way too serious!

I was actually waiting for the first zealot to defend the rose gold from "homophobic" attacks. It didn't take long...

Take it easy and relax.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Finally received my reservation confirmation email about 3 hours after submitting it, so I went ahead and cancelled my Apple Online preorder. Much easier for me to pickup at the store since I will be leaving town for the weekend and would likely miss the home delivery.

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
I have AT&T. Looking online they are out of stock for the model I want but they have it available from T-Mobile for pickup. Now, if theses devices are unlocked shouldn't it really not matter?

This is what I don't understand either. The phone is supposedly unlocked and you can take it to any carrier you want, so it really shouldn't be tied to a carrier during the reservation process either. The only thing I can think is that the finance program does require you to activate the phone, so maybe they want to make you commit to a carrier now to show intent to activate. Either that, or it is a sim card thing.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
This is what I don't understand either. ... it is a sim card thing.
It's a SIM card thing, as well as a model thing. AT&T and T-Mobile being identical models, Verizon being CDMA enabled with the phone IMEI whitelisted on Verizon's network. Not sure about Sprint though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.