How to raise funds for my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applemike, Sep 19, 2008.

1. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Hi, i am going to be going off to university in a month
    i need aome ideas on how to raise £2000 GBP about $4000 to purchase a maxed out macbook pro 15", i currently have a job and am making about £200 or $400 a month, i need some ideas on how to raise £2000 or $4000 in a month, any ideas from anyone?
    or should i just go for a macbook and max it out?
    i would prefer a macbook pro as i will be studying software engineering, and i am also going to be booting linux (Kubuntu) aswell as OS X,

thanks for all help that may follow

Mike

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Get a better paid job? Or another job? Sell stuff you don't need?

Many people with full time permanent jobs earn less than £2000 a month after tax. These are people with qualifications and experience. You're going to have to do something special to get there I think...

3. njosnari macrumors newbie

Sell drugs, and/or prostitution!

Tax free and cool new image!

good luck.

4. polar-blair macrumors regular

Do you have anything you can sell on ebay that would amount to that. Im selling all my electric guitar equipment and just keeping one acoustic guitar and using the money to get a MBP.

Also if money is a problem at the moment, you could go to www.computerwarehouse.co.uk (I guess you come from the UK as you said £'s over $'s yeah they offer a buy now pay later scheme which is really good, pay 10% deposit plus £50 handling fee then you can choose to pay back the rest in 6,9 or 12 months time giving you the time to get the cash whilst having a nice new MBP, thats what im doing.

Also another option, why dont you use some of your student loan to pay for a new macbook, isn't that what its for?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't buy "maxed out" hardware or upgrades from Apple?

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Get yer' ram and upgraded hard disk elsewhere.Sell off the remaining parts.

Bam.

You could rake a yard or two and get the required funds on top of your existing 400 (exaggerating, but seriously)

7. applemike thread starter macrumors 6502

applemike

i have spent most of my student loan on other things, and since im going to be living away from home i need every penny of what i have left, i saved some of my loan but not enough to get me an MBP. all together i have about £400 at the moment and i am looking at selling my video camera on ebay..

thanks for the help so far :)

8. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

hey

well...

first off I would say you probably should get away with having a max'd out macbook, in reality (and there are may threads about this) a MB and MBP are little different other than the obvious (GPU, screen, backlite keyboard, design etc)

secondly, if you think about it and a macbook could be suitable >>> do you really need a max'd out macbook pro? why not set the target for the base model MBP (I have this and its great) and save yourself some cash?

lastly, now that we have re-evaluated your needs I would ask about how much your earning? Are you working full-time? Basically if you need to earn cash there's no short way round having to work hard. I have often worked 2/3 part-time jobs to earn some extra cash

For instance, I live and work in London, and while at uni earned good money working as a waiter and bar staff for corporate events (9-10 p/h). The hours for this are quite late, 6pm onwards and leaves you able to work another job during the day. So you could work another shift job at the sametime. while doing this I had a job as a baker and used to start that at 1am (after the functions) and work until 6am and then sleep. This way you can maximise your earnings :)

I hope this helps, oh and the obvious one, you have an iphone so sell your ipod touch! ;)

d:apple:

9. applemike thread starter macrumors 6502

applemike

thats an idea actually, i currently work part time in a small shop as an assistant, i am now looking at selling my video camera, £100, my drum kit, £150-£200 and mt ipod touch, i also have a 3rd gen ipod nano 8GB that i may get £50 to £60 for, and i have a camera lens i no longer use valued at £50 second hand. so that is a start, i dont think that a base macbook has all the things i want, and id like the extra screen size because i am an amateur photographer and film maker, so i do all of my own editing, i have also looked at buying second hand, if you know anyone who is selling an MBP 15" or 17" for a reasonable price mesage me or reply,
    thanks

mike

10. Habusho macrumors 6502

Sell a kidney? J/K, how about getting a one prior generation macbook. It'll save you a lot.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sell the iMac in your sig. And how does a maxed out 15" cost £2000?

EDIT: I see you chaps are getting boned by Apple. Sorry mate.

12. applemike thread starter macrumors 6502

applemike

the imac is my parents and home mac, used by my sis and parents, i need something to take to uni, i was going on the price of my mates maxed 17" its closer to £1600 actually

but your the first one to point it out

thanks
    mike

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL you won't be after you sell your video camera and glass :D

14. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

It may not sound all that great, but if you want $4K in a month without currently having a degree, then you can't get it legitimately. So get illegitimate!

15. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Maybe you can get some kind of stipend for university... some come with allowances for computers?

16. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Taking advantage of the student discount, and maybe see if there is odd jobs your family might need you to do. Hope that helps!

17. rakester, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  18. Dan Lorth macrumors member

get another job, get more hours at your main job, ask your parents for a loan. The latter is a pretty good way to get a fairly decent loan with low interest. You should explain to your parents that it's more cost effective to loan you the money and have 3% interest on it when paid back seeing as they wouldn't make near that much having it sit in the bank. They are essentially investing money in you.

19. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Step 1: get a friend or two.

Step 2: get some guns.

Step 3: watch the movie "Heat" with Val Kilmer, and take some notes.

Step 4: execute the plan.

20. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

corner bill gates in an ally and take his cash. use it and buy a MBP and a new house. also amybe rob a bank? like seriously, unless u rob a bank ro the other stated idea, u are not going to get 2000 pounds in one month. maybe u shud watch those movies where a kidnapper asks for a lot of money for ransom and see how the family reacts?LOL plz don't do what i just said.

21. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

When did this turn into the financial advise subforum lol.

22. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Why do you not get your self a last generation 17" SR 2.4 macbook pro and max it out your self. I have just ordered a last Gen, brand new sealed machine. 17" glossy from jigsaw cost £1232. I am waiting for new macbook pros, but need something with more screen at the moment on the go. So I opted for the cheapest and have left the bulk of my money set aside for a new 17". They also have the high res with matte for £1293. I laaredy have a 320 HDD and 4gigs of ram that will get put in it as soon as it arrives this morning.

Simon

23. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Also what year of school are you?

Realistically if your a first year, your not going to need anything super powerful. I'm a second year CS major and the only thing I've coded so far have been console bases programs just to teach us the basics of how computer operations work and developing algorithms. I have a professor who runs a ancient ThinkPad in class and seem to get by just fine. Plus If you school is anything like mine, we have SEVERAL labs with mac pros and 23in. ACDs.

But also if your anything like me and want to spend your money on the best thing first instead of buying later. I would suggest to continue to save your money, and not rush out right now a new MBP because you need this month. This way you can get the money without selling all of your stuff (which your going to want when you have the new MBP) and possible have enough money just in time for the next gen MBPs.

24. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hmmm.... Student loans, financing, credit?

When I was a film major in college, I had to take out student loans to pay for tuition and supplies (hardware, film stock, tapes, equipment rentals, etc.) and I'm still paying it all back. I did what I had to do. The fact that most students don't make a lot of money is a sad reality...

25. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

just be careful... it sounds like your "wants > budget"

it IS just a laptop.

i would say work more. Then if you can put more money away, your set. Currently it sounds like it is out of your range, something you may just have to accept

?