Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Is it possible to receive notification alerts or badges for the App Store when any of your apps have an update (like we can on iPhone or iPad)?

I've looked in the notifications settings and App Store is not on there.
Have you got a new computer with Ventura already installed or did you update from an older system?

I have a new computer that came with Ventura and its bugs..

I wonder if this is the case. A bug just for new computers which have Ventura installed by default
Updating from Monterey or older systems App Store is already in Notifications and then there is no issue like what we have
@gilby101 has an iMac 2019 and I presume he must have updated from another system.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, after a lot of searching, trying and calling Apple, the only solution for me was to do a full re-install over everything. Nothing else worked.

• Sad
Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Guys, after a lot of searching, trying and calling Apple, the only solution for me was to do a full re-install over everything. Nothing else worked.
My system is a pristine one coming from Apple, sigh , on a new Mac Studio 😑🙄

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
My system is a pristine one coming from Apple, sigh , on a new Mac Studio 😑🙄
If you don't have the app store notifications but do want them, then I have a feeling you're gonna have to do what I did. O if you haven't installed too much stuff, then nows the time to bite the proverbial and do it.

RS125R

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
If you don't have the app store notifications but do want them, then I have a feeling you're gonna have to do what I did. O if you haven't installed too much stuff, then nows the time to bite the proverbial and do it.
Did you reinstall Ventura over your existing OS or do a clean install? I have this issue as well and tried a reinstall to replace (what I assumed to be corrupt) system files. It didn't work. Thanks.

• Wow

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Did you reinstall Ventura over your existing OS or do a clean install? I have this issue as well and tried a reinstall to replace (what I assumed to be corrupt) system files. It didn't work. Thanks.
I done a complete clean install. It was an absolute PitA but felt good in the end knowing everything was as it should be.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
thanks for the update, now I'm used to not have any and it's not that bad 🙂
If I want to know about available updates I check under the 🍎 menu on the left of the bar menu

Reactions: scouser75

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I done a complete clean install. It was an absolute PitA but felt good in the end knowing everything was as it should be.
I found the bug: it happens when you open AppStore the first time
It asks if you want to receive notifications. If you choose Not now,
then it doesn't even appear in Settings- Notifications and you will never be able to change your mind

I had to install Ventura on my husband' computer and I accepted the notifications immediately
Then it works
When it happened on my computer I chose Not now and they are gone forever LOL

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
After finding and deleting several prefs applestore.com, restarting the computer and launching AppStore I got the "proposal" 😉 of accepting notifications or not. I signed out and back in from my account on the store as well Now everything works as it should
Just in case someone needs it

gvmelbrty

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
After finding and deleting several prefs applestore.com, restarting the computer and launching AppStore I got the "proposal" 😉 of accepting notifications or not. I signed out and back in from my account on the store as well Now everything works as it should
Just in case someone needs it
I deleted a few "com.apple.AppStore.plist" files in Library -> Preferences .. but still no notification proposal for the App Store. .. Could you be more specific? What prefs were they and where were they located?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I deleted a few "com.apple.AppStore.plist" files in Library -> Preferences .. but still no notification proposal for the App Store. .. Could you be more specific? What prefs were they and where were they located?

Do it at your own risk:
it needs a little patience and precision but you need to know exactly what you are doing
A backup is highly suggested

When I delete just the 3 prefs listed by Bogdanw it didn't work for me
So I went nuclear...and it worked.
Maybe it's only one that needs to be deleted, but I was tired to try to find which one

1) I did a search of all AppStore using Easyfind app

2) I took a screenshot-useful for some of the folders in case you need to put one back

3) I removed all the folders from the Pref and Libraries

3b) I created a generic folder on the desktop and
added few folders nested inside like
"Users", then inside "Library", inside "Caches "
The folder "Library" will contain "Containers" ," Preferences" as well and so on...
to help myself to know where they were coming from in case I needed to reverse it

4) After moving all, I restarted the computer and launched AppStore that prompted the window notification immediately

Maybe just try all the Users/YOU/... and see if it works already

If it doesn't work, you will need to delete all those again plus the System and private ones

Screenshot 2024-.jpg

gvmelbrty

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
Do it at your own risk:
it needs a little patience and precision but you need to know exactly what you are doing
A backup is highly suggested

When I delete just the 3 prefs listed by Bogdanw it didn't work for me
So I went nuclear...and it worked.
Maybe it's only one that needs to be deleted, but I was tired to try to find which one

1) I did a search of all AppStore using Easyfind app

2) I took a screenshot-useful for some of the folders in case you need to put one back

3) I removed all the folders from the Pref and Libraries

3b) I created a generic folder on the desktop and
added few folders nested inside like
"Users", then inside "Library", inside "Caches "
The folder "Library" will contain "Containers" ," Preferences" as well and so on...
to help myself to know where they were coming from in case I needed to reverse it

4) After moving all, I restarted the computer and launched AppStore that prompted the window notification immediately

Maybe just try all the Users/YOU/... and see if it works already

If it doesn't work, you will need to delete all those again plus the System and private ones

View attachment 2349729

Deleted all, no change. .. But, perhaps that's because I currently have no pending app updates? .. So I'll wait and see what happens.. Thxs for all the extra info!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Deleted all, no change. .. But, perhaps that's because I currently have no pending app updates? .. So I'll wait and see what happens.. Thxs for all the extra info!
Have you restarted after the cleaning and before launching the AppStore? The fact that you don't have any updates at the moment is not relevant about the notifications.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
After having notifications on I had to turn it off 🙄because I got the message
"You have updates available". and the only answer/ button is Install
I have two updates that I DO NOT WANT because the apps get worse from what I read
All that work for going back to No Notifications 😅

gvmelbrty

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
Have you restarted after the cleaning and before launching the AppStore? The fact that you don't have any updates at the moment is not relevant about the notifications.
Yes.. restarted after cleaning and before launching.. But, I'll try it again.

Ok.. good to know that actual pending app updates aren't needed before being presented with the notifications option.

Question: Currently, the App Store is NOT present in Settings -> Notifications (Sonoma 14.0) .. After your App Store notifications began to work, did the App Store magically appear in the Notifications settings?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Yes.. restarted after cleaning and before launching.. But, I'll try it again.

Ok.. good to know that actual pending app updates aren't needed before being presented with the notifications option.

Question: Currently, the App Store is NOT present in Settings -> Notifications (Sonoma 14.0) .. After your App Store notifications began to work, did the App Store magically appear in the Notifications settings?
Yes, the App Store is back again in Settings -> Notifications (Ventura 13.6.4), as it should.

This is where I said No Notifications -beside all the settings in App Store that is set to No automatically update apps
I just closed the Alerts window without touching the Install button
Then in Notifications I set it with Alerts to None and it seems to work
I was afraid that just closing the window ,like other people did for the upgrading to Sonoma, would make the update to go ahead anyway when they restarted
But so far it didn't and anyway I have copied and compressed the apps I don't want to update, just in case

Screenshot .jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.