Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
Every browser out there is inferior to Firefox in every way possible.

Simply wrong.

The JS benchmark isn't accurate because Chrome has no CPU cap for JS engine. While Firefox CPU cap for a percentage amount * max cpu single core clock speed/core count of resources to be used by the JS engine/browser tabs this is one of the reason its very efficient. This is why Chrome is power hog(not to be confused with more memory bloating).

CPU usage of Chrome is not an issue. It was never one. If it would arise, I can simply (re)nice the process, so that other processes get more CPU time. My CPU is from 2015, yet very rarely is so loaded that I have to think about who gets how much CPU time.

On the other hand, there were several JS heavy websites that took seconds longer to load and were sluggish to interact with due to Firefoxes slow JS engine. Users don't like that.

Firefox on the other hand uses memory based on total system memory available say if you have 8gb it will use less if you compare, the more available system memory it uses, better the responsiveness. Any app that uses more memory and auto scales is automically superior which is exactly what Firefox does.

Memory usage should depend on the workload and not on the memory that is available. Otherwise, it is hard to get predictable results. Such optimizations could be made user tunable though.

Using Waterfox is obselete ever since Firefox started x64 build(multiprocess release?). I hate this concept of people using distro apps like Palemoon, Waterfox etc. This is the very reason Linux is garbage(except for CLI apps).

It's Mozilla's fault for not looking after their Windows users and lagging behind in their releases. Several other Distibutions also had their own Firefox forks because of organizational issues with Mozilla.
Linux is far superior to Windows and OSX in most cases, easier to handle, customize and run.

Reactions: gusmula

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Yeah, that can just be changed from the Settings

Of course (and can be said about a lot of things companies use to track, monitor, etc.) but given that many/most users don't bother to change things like pre-set defaults, Apple setting Google as the Safari default search has been very lucrative for both of them and is helping Google maintain its dominance in search.

Reactions: gusmula

heath_durbin

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
I know everyone loves to **** on Chrome because it isn't made by Apple but for anyone curious, this change makes a HUGE difference! I can go back to having Chrome as my default browser instead of switching between this and Safari. Yay!
I use all 3, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. But I do prefer Safari, mainly for the passwords syncs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.