Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello,

I am in macOS Mojave, I can not upgrade to macOS Catalina because my MBP 13" Mid 2012 is an unsupported Mac
So I want to receive Updates for macOS Mojave only and remove the Catalina update notification
How to?
Thanks
Came

macup.jpg

Last edited:

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Code:
killall "System Preferences"
sudo softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS Catalina'
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences DidShowPrefBundleIDs
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist
killall Dock

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Except for Mojave last year, High Sierra the year before, Sierra before that...
Not at all my experience if you are serious. Up to presently Mojave, my MP 6.1 late 2013 has worked fine. But I intend to keep it in Mojave since I managed to keep HFS+ as well which would be impossible in Catalina and several applications I particularly appreciate like for instance Disk Warrior only work with HFS+.
But I agree with you that people like to complain about new things and argue that past things were by far much better. It is a part of human nature AFAIK.

Reactions: camelia and chabig

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Hello,

I am in macOS Mojave, I can not upgrade to macOS Catalina because my MBP 13" Mid 2012 is an unsupported Mac
So I want to receive Updates for macOS Mojave only and remove the Catalina update notification
How to?
Thanks
Came

View attachment 875882
MBP 13" Mid 2012 is SUPPORTED!!!
...and it runs Catalina very well. Just upgrade ram to 8 or 16 GB and install a SSD.
The only reason for not installing Catalina is if you need to run 32 bit apps

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Code:
killall Dock

Thank you very much!!

MBP 13" Mid 2012 is SUPPORTED!!!
...and it runs Catalina very well. Just upgrade ram to 8 or 16 GB and install a SSD.
The only reason for not installing Catalina is if you need to run 32 bit apps

If you read my signature you will notice that my MBP 13" Mid 2012 has 16 GB of RAM, but spinning disk, is a must an SSD?
I live in Mexico City, and SSD are for me very expensive

Thanks
Came

Last edited:
Reactions: IG88

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Ok please back to the topic

Can I install Catalina in a spinning disk or is a must a SSD?

Thanks
Camelia

Last edited:

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Ok please back to the topic

Can I install Catalina in a spinning disk or is a must a SSD?

Thanks
Camelia

Frankly you shouldn't be on an SSD with anything beyond about Mavericks. Just bite the bullet and get an SSD. Why do you say they are so much more expensive in Mexico exactly?

Yikes! I see what you mean, "expensive is putting it mildly" :eek:
Amazon-Mexico...
View attachment 876699

Amazon-Canada...
View attachment 876700

This is in Mexican Pesos! Which converted to US dollars, would be about $31, which is EXACTLY the price for a 240gb Kingston on Amazon in the US. In other words, SSD's are NO MORE EXPENSIVE in Mexico than anywhere else. (P.S. the symbol for Mexican pesos looks like a US dollar sign)

• Angry
Reactions: camelia

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Code:
killall Dock

At the risk of asking seriously stupid questions, if I run this on my MacBook Pro running 10.14.6, are there any unexpected consequences, other than killing the notification for Catalina?

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
At the risk of asking seriously stupid questions, if I run this on my MacBook Pro running 10.14.6, are there any unexpected consequences, other than killing the notification for Catalina?

I have this question too! :)

Frankly you shouldn't be on an SSD with anything beyond about Mavericks. Just bite the bullet and get an SSD. Why do you say they are so much more expensive in Mexico exactly?

This is in Mexican Pesos! Which converted to US dollars, would be about $31, which is EXACTLY the price for a 240gb Kingston on Amazon in the US. In other words, SSD's are NO MORE EXPENSIVE in Mexico than anywhere else. (P.S. the symbol for Mexican pesos looks like a US dollar sign)

I am a poor girl that is what do you want to know? :mad:

And I am not asking money to buy an SDD in this forum.. :mad:

I am here to learn

AND finally I do not have any issue in macOS HS installed in an spinning disk!!! FYI

Camelia

Last edited:
Reactions: leon-geyer and IG88

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018

I am here to learn

AND finally I do not have any issue in macOS HS installed in an spinning disk!!! FYI

Camelia

You won't have any issues, per se, using a spinning disk. However, if you ever were able to afford dropping an SSD in your computer, the difference in day to day experience is literally TRANSFORMATIONAL.

Once you've used a full on SSD (not some crappy hybrid - like the fusion drive), you will NEVER again want to tolerate using a computer with a spinning disk. The difference is that vast.

I would say, do your best to cobble together the $70 (US dollars) for a 512gb SSD (or ask for one for xmas) and enjoy life on the 'other' side :)

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Not a dumb question.

I was somewhat hesitant, but at the same time I was prepared to do a clean install of Mojave if I had to.

This series of commands worked for me and I still got updates to Mojave afterwards.

But with anything like this, if you aren't willing to accept that doing a clean install might be required if something goes amiss, best not to attempt it.

Reactions: camelia and newellj

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Not a dumb question.

I was somewhat hesitant, but at the same time I was prepared to do a clean install of Mojave if I had to.

This series of commands worked for me and I still got updates to Mojave afterwards.

But with anything like this, if you aren't willing to accept that doing a clean install might be required if something goes amiss, best not to attempt it.

:) Thank you. I have a good backup strategy, both TM and disk images, so no worries even if Armageddon ensues. Thank you very much for both your original post and your reply!
[automerge]1573848184[/automerge]
You won't have any issues, per se, using a spinning disk. However, if you ever were able to afford dropping an SSD in your computer, the difference in day to day experience is literally TRANSFORMATIONAL.

Once you've used a full on SSD (not some crappy hybrid - like the fusion drive), you will NEVER again want to tolerate using a computer with a spinning disk. The difference is that vast.

Echoing this! On the rare occasions when I am running something that's on a spinner (like one of the two drives in my Mini) the difference is enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
Splendid. Thank you!

I'm on a Catalina compatible iMac, but good to get rid of the final shred of a reminder about Catalina. Now, if I could just get Mojave working properly, after over a year....

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Interesting issue. Running that eliminated the notice within SysPrefs but did not eliminate the little red flag on the SysPrefs icon in the dock. Not a big deal but noted FWIW or in case there's some other step to take.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Interesting issue. Running that eliminated the notice within SysPrefs but did not eliminate the little red flag on the SysPrefs icon in the dock. Not a big deal but noted FWIW or in case there's some other step to take.
FWIW
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs; killall Dock

Reactions: newellj

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
The Catalina update notification is persistent and will return after a reboot even with the ignore and notification reset commands.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

would say, do your best to cobble together the

Even after being assumptive someone has the same resources for spending as anyone else, and an explanation of why the cost would be prohibitive you STILL have to be ignorant towards someone else plight. Wow.

@camelia no you did NOT ask ... I have a Samsung 128GB SATA III SSD you can use if it was not over $140xx CAN to ship to you from Canada. Anyone else will to help another out on these boards, selflessly?

1 pound my own packaging:

Ship From
CA
Toronto

Ship To
MX
Mexico City

Number of Packages: 1
Total Shipment Weight: 1 lbs
Packaging Type: Your Packaging
Currency: CAD

Modify Shipment Information
ServiceTotal (All Packages)
Estimated Costs by Service
UPS Worldwide Expedited® 146.78 CAD
UPS Worldwide Express Saver™ 159.78 CAD
UPS Worldwide Express™ 162.84 CAD
UPS Worldwide Express Plus™ 239.32 CAD

• Angry

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Even after being assumptive someone has the same resources for spending as anyone else, and an explanation of why the cost would be prohibitive you STILL have to be ignorant towards someone else plight. Wow.

@camelia no you did NOT ask ... I have a Samsung 128GB SATA III SSD you can use if it was not over $140xx CAN to ship to you from Canada. Anyone else will to help another out on these boards, selflessly?

1 pound my own packaging:

Ship From
CA
Toronto

Ship To
MX
Mexico City

Number of Packages: 1
Total Shipment Weight: 1 lbs
Packaging Type: Your Packaging
Currency: CAD

Modify Shipment Information
ServiceTotal (All Packages)
Estimated Costs by Service
UPS Worldwide Expedited®146.78 CAD
UPS Worldwide Express Saver™159.78 CAD
UPS Worldwide Express™162.84 CAD
UPS Worldwide Express Plus™239.32 CAD

What on earth are you talking about dude?

If she cant afford $31 to even get a 256gb ssd, well then good lord, i dont even know how she’s putting bread on the table.
$31 for christ sakes!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What on earth are you talking about dude?

If she cant afford $31 to even get a 256gb ssd, well then good lord, i dont even know how she’s putting bread on the table.
$31 for christ sakes!

Still ignorant regardless. Maybe she has investments, kids, rent, a sick elder she honours/respects, maybe all of that and more while being a single mother or struggling student with huge debt mounting while in school. earnings in Mexico is NOT what it is in the USA and probably worse than in Canada - I'm thinking low income/low middle-wage income earners as a major generalization.

or just maybe she CAN afford it and is choosing to wait for say next years 13"/14" MBP or MacBook. You nor I nor anyone else does NOT know her current financial situation. The ignorance is to assume what's affordable for you, me or others applies to everyone. Open your eyes and your mind once in a while.

sorry for off topic will not do this again here.

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I have this question too! :)

I am here to learn

Camelia
You CAN install Catalina in APFS formatted disk. It won't be faster but it will work. Since you use Mojave the chance is your disk os already APFS since Mojave converts at installation time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.