Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jettam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
I have a macbook pro running ElCapitan.
In the top right of my desktop next to the wifi and speaker icons are a bunch of other services. See my attached image.
I would like to remove the services because I think they are slowing my macbook down. Could someone advise how I can remove them.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 8.42.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 8.42.56 PM.png
    29 KB · Views: 236

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Everything to the left of the Bluetooth icon is from 3rd parties. You'll have to look up how to disable some of them (adobe cloud is like a tick: hard to remove). You can check in System Prefs-Users-login items and remove whatever you want using the “-“ sign but some services (like adobe cloud) won’t be that simple.

B_Z

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2017
I recognize the far left icon (cloud with up arrow) as the new icon for Google Drive for Mac (which is now called Backup and Sync by Google). If you want to leave the application installed but not have it running all the time:

1. Click the cloud icon
  2. Click the three vertical dots in the upper right of the pop-up window
  3. Click "Preferences..." in the resulting menu
  4. Click "Settings" in the left-hand sidebar
  5. Uncheck "Open Backup and Sync on System Startup"
  6. Close the window
  7. Repeat steps 1 through 3
  8. Click "Quit Backup and Sync"
If you want to uninstall the application, just do steps 1 through 3 and then 8, then go to Applications in Finder and drag "Backup and Sync from Google.app" to the trash.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I believe the second icon is Malwarebytes which you apparently installed. Check the app preferences to see if you can prevent it from starting up automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.