How to revive a soda damaged Macbook Pro 17" 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bartmaster1234, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Bartmaster1234 macrumors newbie

Bartmaster1234

Hi!

About a couple of years ago, I aquired a soda damaged Macbook Pro. The logic board has now far corroded away, I don't want to take the risk of even turning it on. What components would have to be replaced in order to have the laptop working again? I know the Logic Board is worthless, no use in trying to fix that. The soda spilled on the keyboard region of the laptop, and did not enter the vents by the hinge, but did fullly enter the logic board area.

- Is it even fixable?

- Along with the new logic board, and whatever else has to be replaced, what specific screw drivers and tools would I need to completely open up, and replace the boards on the Macbook?

- Where would you reccomend purchasing a new logic board?

- What is more feasible and economical: Purchasing a logic board with an intel i7, or one with i5, to be replaced with i7 chip? I would prefer a i7.

- While I'm in there, what do you reccomend upgrading?

- Is repairing the laptop even worth it? I know if I had it repaired at Frys or Apple it'll cost around a thousand.

I'm on a budget of around 300-400$. I'm thinking of a used board, because I know new ones can retail in the 700 dollar range. I've seen used ones for less that 200.

Thank you!

2. Laco macrumors 6502

If I was in your position I would just sell it for parts. A new logic board from Apple is way too expensive. Never mind the fact that something else may be wrong as well, so there may added expenses.

3. Bartmaster1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bartmaster1234

I've tried selling it, the highest offer I've gotten is 90.
    I'm much more in need of this laptop than the cash.

4. dextr3k macrumors 6502

Look at ifixit.com, it will have a teardown guide for you listing tools and a detailed guide for you to take apart the machine.

As for parts, I would look at ebay and try to source a logic board. I don't know which version you have so you will have to do some internet research, but preliminary browsing, you are looking at 300-400 for the logic board alone. However I suggest you take it completely apart and look at ALL components for visible damage, because the last thing you want is to start investing and realize you need a new gpu, a new keyboard, a new fan, etc etc....that will get expensive fast.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then, are you prepared to spend $1000 worth of parts? Just the logic board might be in the $500 vicinity. Not to mention any other parts that might need replacing.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The offers are low because the potential buyers aren't terribly optimistic on salvageable parts. 90 isn't that bad of an offer. Consider that you're looking at potentially replacing all internals. Even cabling to the screen may be affected. There's no way of knowing. If someone offered money, they didn't intend to repair this notebook. They intended to harvest anything that still works.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Logic board and topcase would run to more than its worth

8. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

If I was in your position I would look for a same model MPRO which is broken in a different way and make one out of two. (damaged screen etc.)

9. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Marvin made a wonderful suggestion. MBPs with cracked screen won't be too expensive but will be very hard to find.

Also, your keyboard is most likely dead too. You'll need to replace the top case (i.e. upper chassis with keyboard) and the logic board at least. The Airport card is also susceptible to liquid damage. HDD and battery are most likely safe but the optical drive is anyone's guess.

Best of luck.

Raptor

EDIT: Have you had a look inside? You might be able to review the full extend of the damage with a quick peek under the case.