Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS, Apple has extended the system's built-in screenshot feature to include the ability to save a full web page or "scrolling screenshot" as a multi-page PDF.

ios13safarisavefullpage.jpg

Don't expect this option to appear when using a third-party apps, as it's only available in Apple apps including Safari, Notes, and Maps. With that said, here's how it works, using Safari as an example.

1. Launch the Safari app on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Navigate to the web page that you wish to save as a multi-page PDF.
  3. Press the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously to capture a screenshot. If your device doesn't have a Home button – if it's a 2018 iPad Pro, for example – press the power button located at the top of the device and the volume up button located on the right of the device at the same time.
    how-to-save-web-page-as-a-pdf.jpg

A preview of the screenshot will pop up in the lower left of the display. Tap it to open up the Instant Markup interface. You'll have about five seconds before it disappears.
  4. Tap the Full Page tab in the upper right corner of the Markup interface.
  5. To save the PDF, tap Done and then tap Save PDF to Files. To share the PDF, tap the Share button (the square with an arrow pointing out) and select how or who to share it with from the Share screen.
Note that you can also use Markup to edit your PDF before saving or sending it.

Article Link: How to Save a Full Page or 'Scrolling Screenshot' as a PDF on iPhone and iPad

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I used this feature more than once since it debuted in iOS 12 (or 11?), and more than once I was disappointed when it cut off the ends of longer articles (and for those was useless.). I don’t know if this was a limitation in the s/w or memory on my iPhone 6S.

Hope this shortcoming (pun not intended) has been overcome in 13 as it’s a useful feature.

I didn’t read article but if it is missing my pro-tip, here it is: to get a cleaner article w/o the embedded ads, put Safari in reader mode (that’s the 3+1/2) horizontal lines at the left of the address window) before you make that pdf.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Do iOS users even explore the various features of their phones or just unaware and afraid of discovery.

What next MR, how to initiate AirDrop from iOS? :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: imnotthewalrus

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I tell you what...we needed iOS 13 a long time ago...nice features we should have had back in iOS 11 but Apple rested on its laurels for far too long.

Reactions: McG2k1

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Wait till you see what is slated in iOS 14 that should have been in iOS 12. Apple is known to milk things for years, that is they innovation. :p

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011

In iOS 13, Apple has extended the system's built-in screenshot feature to include the ability to save a full web page as a multi-page PDF.

ios13safarisavefullpage.jpg

Don't expect this option to appear when using a third-party browser app like Firefox or Chrome, as it's only available in Safari, Apple's native web browser. With that said, here's how it works.

1. Launch the Safari app on your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Navigate to the web page that you wish to save as a multi-page PDF.
  3. Press the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button simultaneously to capture a screenshot. If your device doesn't have a Home button - if it's a 2018 iPad Pro, for example - press the power button located at the top of the device and the volume up button located on the right of the device at the same time.
    how-to-save-web-page-as-a-pdf.jpg

A preview of the screenshot will pop up in the lower left of the display. Tap it to open up the Instant Markup interface. You'll have about five seconds before it disappears.
  4. Tap the Full Page tab in the upper right corner of the Markup interface.
  5. To save the PDF, tap Done and then tap Save PDF to Files. To share the PDF, tap the Share button (the square with an arrow pointing out) and select how or who to share it with from the Share screen.
Note that you can also use Markup to edit your PDF before saving or sending it.

Article Link: How to Save or Share a Safari Web Page as a PDF in iOS 13
[doublepost=1560547317][/doublepost]My ears pricked-up when I heard about this new feature.

If someone can work out how to automate capturing and converting multiple links quickly, they could make a tidy sum.

Clipping web coverage is a very resource intensive part of many PR / Marketing jobs. Usually a junior will speak all day doing this.

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
“We are just so excited to see what our users will do with these powerful markup tools as they incorporate them into their daily pr0n workflows”

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This will be especially useful with long website like Wikipedia, and you can even crop on the part you want

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I

I didn’t read article but if it is missing my pro-tip, here it is: to get a cleaner article w/o the embedded ads, put Safari in reader mode (that’s the 3+1/2) horizontal lines at the left of the address window) before you make that pdf.

Wipr. Use it and you won’t need to do that.

Reactions: MrGuder

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
I thought this feature would save the website screenshot as a PNG, as tall as needed. A bit disappointing if it’s PDF only.

Ackerdemiker

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2017
okay so let me give you a nice advice how "Creating a PDF" works in almost every situation:

Webpage for example: tap on the share-button and tap on "print". Now pinch out with two fingers the preview... tadaaaa there is your PDF and you can do whatever you want.
If you do it from a clean webpage links will be adopted. If you do it from the PDF Reader mode, links will disappear...

This works everywhere where you can print... enjoy

bernds.blog :)

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
Except before it did not work well. I tried, and it would cut off either half of the remaining pages or only create PDF of current page with distorted elements. Not good. iOS 13 version is better.

Why would you believe this new version will be any better at doing its job? The old way of doing this has been stuck that way since it came out, and Apple still has not fixed it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Why would you believe this new version will be any better at doing its job? The old way of doing this has been stuck that way since it came out, and Apple still has not fixed it.
It’s because the old way I could not create a full webpage PDF even though I can see the safari is trying. The new one on the other hand, can at least get the full webpage screenshot. This one alone is already better to the creating PDF function. They are not the same feature, but in iOS 13 I can get the job done, whereas in iOS 12 I have to use Dropbox app for the same task.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I will never, ever understand why PDFs continue to be based on outdated notions of printing and outputting. I do not want a multi-page PDF of a web page. I want a single PDF page. I’m not going to print the thing, and I want it to crop it at my choosing.
It looks like iOS 13 changes it, as the generated PDF is one single page for the entire webpage.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
It looks like iOS 13 changes it, as the generated PDF is one single page for the entire webpage.

Even in iOS 11 the share > create a PDF creates a single page file of the entire webpage.

It is only if you use the share > print method to create a PDF that the document is split into multiple pages but this would be expected behaviour for this method.
[doublepost=1560645702][/doublepost]
really like this feature ...l just don't like having the contact row there

I agree! Does anyone know if it is possible to hide the contact row in the share menu?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Even in iOS 11 the share > create a PDF creates a single page file of the entire webpage.
I tried, multiple times, in iOS 12.3.1. It just could not reliably create a single page file of the entire webpage. I was then forced to use Dropbox to save webpages, which worked for me almost every single time.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I tried, multiple times, in iOS 12.3.1. It just could not reliably create a single page file of the entire webpage. I was then forced to use Dropbox to save webpages, which worked for me almost every single time.

I use that all the time, works great. I usually use reader view to remove the adds, but even without that, it works fine. Maybe the sites you are using?
[doublepost=1560653381][/doublepost]
I

That about says it all. The older version just copied the existing screen, Now it is supposed to do the entire web page. That was in the article

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I use that all the time, works great. I usually use reader view to remove the adds, but even without that, it works fine. Maybe the sites you are using?
[doublepost=1560653381][/doublepost]

That about says it all. The older version just copied the existing screen, Now it is supposed to do the entire web page. That was in the article
Yes, I am thinking about the same thing. But overall, iOS 13 screenshot solution is still better for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.