iPad mini How to save PDF's onto my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mikewebberross, Apr 18, 2014.

1. mikewebberross macrumors newbie

mikewebberross

I don't want to save PDF's from the internet. I have many PDF books on my mac and I would like to get them onto my iPad. Is there any app for that? And how would I get the PDF's from my computer to my iPad? Will email work?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

3. ratsg macrumors 6502

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I put all my PDF's into iTunes/iBooks then they appear on my iPad (ibooks) when I sync it with my laptop.

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

There are many PDF readers, from ios's native iBooks app to goodreader to notability. I find that Goodreader is more robust for categorising pdfs, but notability is easier to annotation.

To transfer them in, simply plug your iPad to your Mac, go to your apps section, then drag the pdf files into the app you want them to be stored in. :)

7. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Dropbox is an excellent way to get them from the computer onto the iPad. That's what I use as well as many others. Once on the iPad I use Goodreader and iBooks to read them.

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Documents (from the company Readdle). It's similar to Goodreader, but it's free and in my opinion it has better performance. It's rather flexible in moving files between iPad and computer. The app allows you to turn the iPad into a "wi-fi drive," in which it appears to the Mac as a hard drive. You can simply drag and drop files from the Finder, and it all transfers quickly over your local network. If you'd prefer a cloud-based solution, Documents also has support for Dropbox and Google Drive.

While I use Documents primarily for PDFs, it can handle many other file types as well, such as video. It is easily among the top five apps that I use on my iPad each day.

9. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

This is the answer for those who do not wish to use a third party app. Just add them to you itunes library and ensure you have itunes syncing your books.

Otherwise, Dropbox would work.

10. mikewebberross thread starter macrumors newbie

mikewebberross

Awesome! I was trying to get iBooks on my computer forever because I figured it had to exist on mac! I didn't know it was in iTunes this whole time!

Thanks

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iBooks is on the Mac if you have the latest OSX (Mavericks).

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

That works but depends on your usage. iBooks is limited in the sense that you cannot really annotate and it handles extremely large PDFs poorly. If you need to either of those, a free app by Readdle called Documents does the job decently. If you require more functionality, you could buy Readdle's PDF Expert though I prefer GoodReader a lot more. Many options available - just be specific about your needs, if any.

13. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

14. Joelist macrumors member

GoodReader has reflow which is a HUGE differentiator.

15. Malone32 macrumors newbie

That file transfer limits are keeping me away from apple products.
    I am still in dilemma if to buy air or samsung tablet.

16. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

17. Ann P macrumors 68020

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Another vote here for Dropbox or OneDrive.
    Goodreader or Documents for managing the PDFs once they're on your device. Goodreader was one of the most popular, but it's since gotten a little long in the tooth. Still a great app though.

19. Altis macrumors 68000

I use Google Drive. It works well with Gmail and can all be done through the browser on the computer end.

20. mcmul macrumors 6502

21. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

22. KPOM macrumors G5

I use GoodReader (though PDF Expert handles attachments within PDF files a bit better). I also like DiskAid for copying content to and from the iPad. It's a lot less clunky than using iTunes.

23. GalFriday macrumors member

Dropbox or OneDrive, or you can simply email them to whatever address you have set up on the iPad or GMail.

24. ktjensen macrumors member

If you use Dropbox there is a way to save the file locally on your idevice. that way you do not have to be online to use it or acess it.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister