Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In iOS 11, the native camera app includes functionality that allows you to scan QR codes and access QR code content like URLs without having to download a third-party app.

Here's how to scan a QR code when you run into one:
  1. Open the Camera app on the iPhone or iPad.
  2. Make sure you have adequate lighting so the camera can pick up the QR code.
  3. Align the camera with the QR code.
That's all there is to it. From there, the camera will read the QR code and provide you with a notification to access whatever it contains.

QR codes can include contact information, calendar events, website links, phone numbers, email addresses, Wi-Fi information, and more, so they can be pretty handy, and it's nice to have the built-in scanning feature available when you need it.

Article Link: How to Scan a QR Code Using the Camera on the iPhone or the iPad

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
I’m glad they implemented this but I don’t really bother with QR codes anymore. The ideal of them being handy didn’t work for me when you had to pull out your phone, type in a passcode, and find an app. Now with face and fingerprint unlock and the camera app more easily accessible it is finally useful. But I don’t notice as many codes (the rage seems to have died down) and I have it in my mind to ignore them.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This should have happened a LONG time ago.

I remember having to download "Red Laser" or something on my iPhone 4S

Of course I knew what to do... but the average person? Nope.
I much prefer relying on a separate app, I think. I haven’t done a lot with QR codes in iOS 11, so maybe it’s fine, but it feels like information searching is a different enough function from photography that they each deserve dedicated apps.

Using both in the same app because they use the same underlying hardware is a bit like saying Safari should handle email because they both use the network interface. Whereas putting a QR button in Safari to let it capture URLs and in Mail to capture email addresses in the same way they have a microphone for dictation would make a lot of sense to me.

Oh well. I can turn it off, so not a big deal, and maybe other people use QR about as often as they take pictures and having one consolidated app is worth while.

Reactions: sracer

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Considering how quick it is to do this and the versatility of the codes, this should have caught on a long time ago.

I had no idea that QR codes can store as many characters as is described here. I thought all it does is points to websites or holds small amounts of data. No, they can hold a whole news article, or the first 10 or so paragraphs of an encyclopedia article. Then you can copy and paste the contents by interacting with the notification.

Maybe they'll make a comeback.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
It does not scan small qr codes...like those on Sony chargers and other products...but maybe it is normal...

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
This is useful for joining WiFi networks.

That would be useful for me. I have a guest network so I don’t want to share my credentials via the new iOS 11 feature. And my password for the guest network is long and somewhat complex.

Do you know of any programs for generating one? I see there are online programs but I don’t like sharing credentials with a website.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I much prefer relying on a separate app, I think. I haven’t done a lot with QR codes in iOS 11, so maybe it’s fine, but it feels like information searching is a different enough function from photography that they each deserve dedicated apps.

I understand your position.

However... the fact that you use the camera to read QR Codes... I can see why they integrated it into the camera app. It does make sense. Think of the average user... not those of us who read tech forums. :p

I don't think QR Codes have taken off because you had to go to the App Store and search for some 3rd-party app. While not difficult... there's still an onboarding process.

And people might see a QR Code printed on a poster somewhere... but they might not even know that it's called a QR Code. Or what to search for in the App Store.

Maybe if Apple included their own, separate QR Code app it might have helped. I dunno.

Having said all that... there's one big question:

Are QR Codes still a thing? YES/NO

If yes... then having native functionality on the iPhone is great. It'll let people scan them with minimal effort.

Who knows... this might be the resurgence of the QR Code.

(does Android have native QR Code scanning?)

Pezboy

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
iOS 11 has been out for months. How is this just being posted? This was a big deal feature for iOS 11 and I have been using it happily since launch

Reactions: PR1985

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Can a QR do anything bad?

I once created a text QR code and used it as a profile picture, when scanned, it said

"Thank you for your donation, your account has been debited accordingly"

Of course it was a joke, but could anything like that actually happen?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I hope the notification includes displaying the actual URL before navigating to it. The singificant problem with QR codes (and shortened URLs) is that they are handy for masking a malicious destination from unsuspecting click-happy smartphone users that have no care for their own security.
That's why I like the app "QR Reader" it has the option to ask before going to a URL.

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

In iOS 11, the native camera app includes functionality that allows you to scan QR codes and access QR code content like URLs without having to download a third-party app.

Here's how to scan a QR code when you run into one:
  1. Open the Camera app on the iPhone or iPad.
  2. Make sure you have adequate lighting so the camera can pick up the QR code.
  3. Align the camera with the QR code.
That's all there is to it. From there, the camera will read the QR code and provide you with a notification to access whatever it contains.

QR codes can include contact information, calendar events, website links, phone numbers, email addresses, Wi-Fi information, and more, so they can be pretty handy, and it's nice to have the built-in scanning feature available when you need it.

Article Link: How to Scan a QR Code Using the Camera on the iPhone or the iPad
They should of had this 5 years ago

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Can a QR do anything bad?

I once created a text QR code and used it as a profile picture, when scanned, it said

"Thank you for your donation, your account has been debited accordingly"

Of course it was a joke, but could anything like that actually happen?
No, not unless there was an app specifically made to do that after you enter your payment info. QR codes scanned with the camera app can only take you to a website.
[doublepost=1513473854][/doublepost]
I understand your position.

However... the fact that you use the camera to read QR Codes... I can see why they integrated it into the camera app. It does make sense. Think of the average user... not those of us who read tech forums. :p

I don't think QR Codes have taken off because you had to go to the App Store and search for some 3rd-party app. While not difficult... there's still an onboarding process.

And people might see a QR Code printed on a poster somewhere... but they might not even know that it's called a QR Code. Or what to search for in the App Store.

Maybe if Apple included their own, separate QR Code app it might have helped. I dunno.

Having said all that... there's one big question:

Are QR Codes still a thing? YES/NO

If yes... then having native functionality on the iPhone is great. It'll let people scan them with minimal effort.

Who knows... this might be the resurgence of the QR Code.

(does Android have native QR Code scanning?)
Android has automatically recognized qr codes with the camera app for several years. I do think Apple was hindering adoption by not doing the same thing, but are QR codes really that convenient? Is a website that hard to type in?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Android has automatically recognized qr codes with the camera app for several years. I do think Apple was hindering adoption by not doing the same thing, but are QR codes really that convenient? Is a website that hard to type in?
Android has had automatic recognition for years for the exact same reason Apple is now adding it to their camera app. China. QR codes are almost an essential part of life in China. Chinese phones primarily run Android so Android has QR codes. Apple wants to cater to Chinese customers, they need QR codes. A lot of what Apple has done recently regarding iOS features is all about China.

Surprised @jclo didn't give a mention to it in her 'how to'.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Android has had automatic recognition for years for the exact same reason Apple is now adding it to their camera app. China. QR codes are almost an essential part of life in China. Chinese phones primarily run Android so Android has QR codes. Apple wants to cater to Chinese customers, they need QR codes. A lot of what Apple has done recently regarding iOS features is all about China.

Surprised @jclo didn't give a mention to it in her 'how to'.
Makes sense. Oh well, guess if we want new features we have to hope China wants them too nowadays.

Reactions: 69Mustang
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.