How to Scan a QR Code Using the Camera on the iPhone or the iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 16, 2017.

1. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

Is there any way to have a history of the scanned QR codes?

2. boccabella macrumors regular

Wait, let me make sure I have this straight. You have to open the Camera app and then point at the QR code? Who would have thunk it!

3. neliason macrumors 6502

As others have mentioned you can use a website. I am really strict about security, even for a guest network, so I don't like the idea of using a website where they'll get my password.

If you are comfortable with the command line you can use 'qrencode'. It is available on linux systems or on Mac through a package manager. I use MacPorts but it looks like Homebrew has it as well. Once the utility is installed generating a QR code is easy. It is a one line command. Just follow the directions in the link below (I output a PNG32 so I could paste it into Pages). I generated a QR code for my quest network and my iPhone was able to connect. It was really easy.

http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2013/10/generate-qr-codes-for-wifi-networks/4434

4. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

QR Codes have never been native to the iOS before. That functionality always required a 3rd party app. So if an iOS user had a 3rd party code reader, they wouldn't be aware that iOS devices do this natively.

5. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

It isn’t just being posted:
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/06/iphone-can-scan-qr-codes-ios-11/

I guess it was just a slow news day. This “tutorial” (i.e. take a photo of it, whee) seems to be just a reminder.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 18, 2017 ---
    Thanks for this. The linked (four-year-old) tutorial says it only works for Android. I guess that’s outdated info since it works on your iPhone.

6. pedzsan macrumors member

pedzsan

This reminds me of before I had an iPhone. I didn't get one until the 6 came out.

I would watch the key note presentations and about 1/3rd of the "new features" I would think to myself "What? you could not do that until now?" The other 1/3 of the features I had no interest in at all... do I really want to send sprinkles with my iMessages (which I don't use anyway and I have no other friends with iPhones AND... its just dorky).

7. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

QR Codes are huge in China, that is the sole reason Apple finally caved on this.

8. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

9. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

10. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502a

I find that iPhones don't seem to hold the wifi password when set up by QR code. Is that by design? Each time guests come round they need to re scan the QR code. Is there any way to get iPhones to retain the WiFi code?