Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
Wait, let me make sure I have this straight. You have to open the Camera app and then point at the QR code? Who would have thunk it!

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
What utility can I use to create these QR codes that launch in the appropriate app?
I'd love to have a QR code in my house for the (guest) wifi password when friends come to visit. And I can think of a myriad other uses. But how do I create that?

As others have mentioned you can use a website. I am really strict about security, even for a guest network, so I don't like the idea of using a website where they'll get my password.

If you are comfortable with the command line you can use 'qrencode'. It is available on linux systems or on Mac through a package manager. I use MacPorts but it looks like Homebrew has it as well. Once the utility is installed generating a QR code is easy. It is a one line command. Just follow the directions in the link below (I output a PNG32 so I could paste it into Pages). I generated a QR code for my quest network and my iPhone was able to connect. It was really easy.

http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2013/10/generate-qr-codes-for-wifi-networks/4434

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Wait, let me make sure I have this straight. You have to open the Camera app and then point at the QR code? Who would have thunk it!
QR Codes have never been native to the iOS before. That functionality always required a 3rd party app. So if an iOS user had a 3rd party code reader, they wouldn't be aware that iOS devices do this natively.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
iOS 11 has been out for months. How is this just being posted? This was a big deal feature for iOS 11 and I have been using it happily since launch
It isn’t just being posted:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/06/iphone-can-scan-qr-codes-ios-11/

I guess it was just a slow news day. This “tutorial” (i.e. take a photo of it, whee) seems to be just a reminder.
[doublepost=1513595253][/doublepost]
As others have mentioned you can use a website. I am really strict about security, even for a guest network, so I don't like the idea of using a website where they'll get my password.

If you are comfortable with the command line you can use 'qrencode'. It is available on linux systems or on Mac through a package manager. I use MacPorts but it looks like Homebrew has it as well. Once the utility is installed generating a QR code is easy. It is a one line command. Just follow the directions in the link below (I output a PNG32 so I could paste it into Pages). I generated a QR code for my quest network and my iPhone was able to connect. It was really easy.

http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2013/10/generate-qr-codes-for-wifi-networks/4434
Thanks for this. The linked (four-year-old) tutorial says it only works for Android. I guess that’s outdated info since it works on your iPhone.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
This reminds me of before I had an iPhone. I didn't get one until the 6 came out.

I would watch the key note presentations and about 1/3rd of the "new features" I would think to myself "What? you could not do that until now?" The other 1/3 of the features I had no interest in at all... do I really want to send sprinkles with my iMessages (which I don't use anyway and I have no other friends with iPhones AND... its just dorky).

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I find that iPhones don't seem to hold the wifi password when set up by QR code. Is that by design? Each time guests come round they need to re scan the QR code. Is there any way to get iPhones to retain the WiFi code?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.