How to scratch an iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yifanlu, Jun 26, 2010.

1. yifanlu macrumors member

So I went to the local Apple Store, and decided to play around with the iPhone 4. I heard it is very scratchable, so I used my fingernails to scrape the back a few times. No scratch mark. I then decided to slide it on the wooden table. Still no scratch mark. Finally, I took the sharp corner of the plastic display showing iphone stuff and rubbed it on the iphone. Still no scratch mark. I used my fingers and fingernail to feel the back and front, and it feels fine.

Basically, 1) how do you scratch an iPhone 4 (other then something along the lines of taking a paper clip and scraping it), and 2) do you think the display models are made purposely more durable?

P.S: All the display iPhone 4 has the dropping bar bug.

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

you are an *****

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

4. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

yes, that is what he says.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    The display models are no different than the iphones sold to the public.
    If you want to scratch it you can just like any other glass.
    The question is will it scratch with every day normal use or will it hold up against keys, change and other stuff people have in the pockets or purses?

7. apprunner macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing. Who cares if he tries to scratch a display model. It's meant to show off the phone's capabilities. Apple did say scratch resistance is a selling point.

8. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Best reply of this thread!!!!:D

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

+1

10. alana22 macrumors regular

You're more likely to shatter your display than scratch it. I carry mine naked in my purse with my keys, coins, whatever, and it has zero scratches

11. yifanlu thread starter macrumors member

Yea. I was careful though, I didn't try to make a big dent or something. Like I said, I started with my fingernail, and only used the sharp edge when nothing else scratched it even a bit. I was considering keys, but decided against it. The phone is there for testing, and I'm testing to see if it will wear out easily (obviously not). Also, no phone was damaged.

If those phones were indeed not different from retail, then I can assume it won't get scratched so easily. With all these "my phone is damaged" threads, I just want to give a different point of view.

12. PureRED macrumors member

PureRED

I beg to differ. I've solely carried mine in my pocket by itself and it's already got some hairline scratches. Basically, avoid any GLASS/GLASS contact.

13. yifanlu thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, explain? Can you feel the scratch? Can you see it without reflecting? Now noticeable is it?

Also, explain the GLASS/GLASS. When should I have to worry about that? (caring two iPhone 4s in one pocket? Wiping the window with your iPhone 4?)

14. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Mine was scratched today, though I contend it's a crack. You could push on both sides of the "scratch" and it would give. It happened in my pocket. I can't be certain what caused it, but there was a leaf in my pocket from moving tree branches from the back yard to a truck to take to the dump.

I called Apple support and they agreed that it should not have happened so easily and made an appointment at one of the "local" apple stores for a replacement. I took it to the store and the "Genius" was nasty about the entire thing, but did replace it with a new phone.

When we asked if and when screen protectors would be made available he said "Apple takes pride in the strength of the glass and screen protectors aren't needed." Keep in mind, he said this after handing me a NEW PHONE!

So yes. It's easily scratchable. And it's probably worth noting that I had a 3G for years with no issues and performed the same yard work with that phone in my pocket.

15. PureRED macrumors member

PureRED

You can drag your fingernail across it and feel it, and you can definitely see it quite clearly.

By glass/glass I mean glass tables or other glass surfaces, no need to be passive aggressive. Jesus.

16. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

The screen on the iPhone 4 is nearly as hard as diamond. The only way to scratch it is to take an extremely hard object (such as a diamond ring) and forcefully rub it against the screen. Basically the screen on iPhone 4 is as close to unscratchable as any screen has ever been on any consumer device.

17. PureRED macrumors member

PureRED

...HAHAHA. No, no it's not.

I'm a quite proud MacFanboy, but it's most definitely NOT impossible or even unlikely to scratch. Basically, be safe, and make sure you're watching where you're setting it.

18. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Wrong... You bought into the hype. My screen was scratched today (no diamond involved) and my phone was replaced.

There are a ton of reports just like mine.

19. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Please describe how your screen was scratched. I can't wait to hear this. :rolleyes:

20. PureRED macrumors member

PureRED

That and Apple stated that the glass has hardness similar to that of Sapphire. Diamond != Sapphire "like"

Also, I find it weird that you find it so hard to believe that a glass surface can be scratched. Surprise, it happens, whether or not you think the iPhone is coated in some miracle unscratchable surface.

21. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Please read a few posts up in this thread! You don't have to wait.

Cliff's notes -- An oak leaf.

22. Walter Bell macrumors regular

take a damn rock and slam it into the phone. There you go, scratched up iPhone. now stop asking these dumb ass questions.

23. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

What's that I smell? could it be BS? :rolleyes:

24. ericfelt macrumors newbie

Put it inthe same pocket as a golf tee. Scratches real easy.

25. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Seriously, you expect me to believe a LEAF scratched your iPhone? Is this some kind of joke? A leaf couldn't scratch jello.

A golf tee won't scratch an iPhone either unless you have tees made of diamond. I prefer wood tees myself.