How to Sell a Used Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PseudoWoobie, Jun 8, 2007.

1. PseudoWoobie macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm thinking of selling my iBook G4 in order to afford a new Macbook. The trouble is, I have no idea where to begin. This is my first mac and I'm not quite sure what the best way would be to go about selling it.

I was just wondering, what do you all normally do to sell a used mac in order to get the best price and easiest overall transaction? Websites like Mac of All Trades? eBay? Local stores? Craigslist?

What's your favorite and most trusted method?

Thanks very much for any input!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have good luck with the Nigerians. They usually find me from ads on Craig's List.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I sold my eMac on craigslist. eBay is likely to get you a better price, but you also have some fees with ebay.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Someone also had a good experience selling to this company:

http://www.ifixit.com/sell

I got a quote from them but decided not to go through with it. Sounded fairly good... might google around for testimonies.

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Big fan of craigslist here. People are usually more apt to spend a little more if you're willing to demonstrate it to them before buying. Walk them through the apps, cool and fun gadgets, etc.

Also, you get your money faster, and deal face to face with people instead of the blind transactions of ebay and the like.

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

7. munckee macrumors 65816

I've bought and sold a few times on craigslist with good luck. Here in NY, its better than ebay, IMO (unless you're really after the auction) because there are so many people.

8. PseudoWoobie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok great, thanks for the quick replies! I'll have a look at Craigslist but we're a bit in the boonies in Maine, and we may not have many potential buyers around.

eBay seems like an option as well, and I'll be sure to check out those websites for quotes.

Thanks again

9. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I've always gotten top dollar on ebay. True, you have to deal with ebay fees, but even with that you usually make more than you would on Craigslist.

10. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

People seem to be getting good prices for their ibooks on ebay.

11. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Just three words of advice:

craigslist, craigslist, craigslist

12. showtime macrumors 6502

ebay or craigslist. Ebay will usually get you a little bit more but craigslist is much more convenient imo. Plus it's free to post and you get paid in cash.

13. PseudoWoobie thread starter macrumors newbie

When you use Craigslist, how does it actually work? I've never used it before.

Say you post an item and an interested buyer contacts you. Does this buyer come to your house to see it and give you cash? What's to keep a 'buyer' from giving you a bogus check or sticking you up and walking off with your computer?

14. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Paypal is one big PITA!

I don't know much about craiglist! Time to google!:)

15. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Craiglist (or any list) Rule #1: NEVER, EVER, EVER have anyone come to your house or even give them your address. ALWAYS meet in a very PUBLIC place, like a coffee house/cafe/bookstore etc (preferably one with free wi-fi, so you can demonstrate your macs internet capabilities)

RULE #2: CASH ONLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RULE #3: back up your data first, then zero out the HDD and reinstall the OS back to a fresh starting point, and then update everything to the latest versions. This way you can show the buyer how to create his account, as well as removing/overwriting all of your previous data....

My rule: Be safe or be a fool......these are your ONLY options!! :D

16. showtime macrumors 6502

You can work something out with the potential buyer in terms of where to meet. However, NEVER accept anything other than cash.

17. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Excellent advice from SmurfBoxMasta.

All three suggestions are necessary.

Take this advice seriously.

18. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

If your in canada I HIGHLY recommend ehMac.ca

19. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I got an offer of:

$450 from www.welovemacs.com
    $650 from www.ifixit.com

I guess I'll look around on Craigslist but I don't really want to do the ebay thing.

20. weeman macrumors 6502

Hmmm...That I fix it site is interesting...I just sent in my request to see how much my ibook is worth.

Good luck to ya in selling that iBook

21. PseudoWoobie thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone ever tried selling to iFixit?

They made an offer that I'm comfortable with for my iBook and I was wondering if anyone had had any positive/negative experiences with them in the past?

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup. Sold my iBook to them in February. Received the check from them, very promptly. Once they received tracking info from UPS, they sent me an email saying they'd received notice. And then they checked out the iBook (when it arrived), made sure it was in the claimed condition, and then sent out the check.

Painless and simple. Would definitely do it again if I was in the position to sell another machine.

23. weeman macrumors 6502

Hey would it be hassle if you could link me to the site on welovemacs where i could get a quote for my iBook? ive been trying for the last 15 minutes and cant find it :mad:

24. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

From the prices I see on ebay, you'd get quite a bit. Macs tend to be overpriced on ebay, but thats good if your a seller :rolleyes:
    However the hassle of getting a decent reputation (lots of scammers, buyers have to be wary), setting up a paypal verified seller account and paying the various selling fee's might not be worth the monetary benefit.

Never used craigslist, but the quotes from ifixit seem to be pretty decent. Judging by what the others have posted, ifixit looks like the best painless way to go.