How to sell my slightly damaged dual core G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tevion5, Mar 9, 2015.

1. tevion5, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I have a 2.0 GHz Dual Core Power Mac G5 (the one in my signature) that I think I would like to part with. Back when I acquired it a year or two ago, it was damaged in transit. I ended up using a bolt to drive through the case do the bent handle would be fitted back into place. It restored functionality of the handle and stopped it ripping your skin off when you walked by it, but it only looked slightly better aesthetically. The small frankenstein style bolts on either side of the front handle aren't the prettiest.

As I would seriously contemplate killing a man for the chance to own a G5 Quad, so over the summer I will try to earn enough and make this a reality. This 2.0Ghz works perfectly and has 2.5GB Ram, an nVidia 6600LE and a 160GB HDD. As a collector I think I will just keep one Power Mac G5, so why not just the best one? I might contemplate a 2.3GHz as the air cooled model might be a little more reliable in the long run, but there is something cool about the quad. The most power PowerPC Mac. It's a part of a collection, but I like to use my items from time to time. And I like them to be as pretty as possible while doing it.

So what do this is the best way to go about selling this rig? All together, parts, or not worth parting at all? (Keeping in mind I hardly ever use this no due to it's ugliness. Whereas I would cherish a mint G5 like my Quicksilver everyday.)

Pictures:

IMG_8422.JPG IMG_8423.JPG IMG_8425.JPG

2. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I just took delivery of the same model with 2.5GB ram, the bottom handles are damaged. I guess it must be difficult to package these things:eek:

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Oh I've had others delivered damaged too...and all from within Ireland. But my brothers 2010 MacPro that came across the ocean from the USA? No that was in perfect condition. A*****e delivery people...

4. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I think it has more to do with insufficient packing material used when shipping these heavy G5 towers. I bought two Power Mac G5 computers from eBay and both arrived with damage to the bottom handles. True, they're not exactly easy to ship, but if sellers would stop being cheap and use proper packing materials, there is no reason why a G5 can't be shipped without being damaged.

5. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

"redneck" don't bother me none. Hell, I've done much worse myself. How much are you asking for this G5? I might take it if the price is within what I can afford.

6. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Why does this not surprise me?

7. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

you should see the Power supply inside my HP computer.... Or the wiring inside my MDD....

8. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

You should post a picture.

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

YES please post a picture I wanna see :eek:

10. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

sure I will tomorrow night. I'll have to bring in my Camcorder from the door pocket of my car.

11. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

12. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Make a new thread about it!

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hey Tevion! You pay shipping from IRELAND to the STATES? :D

14. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I'm surprised you'd even use the word "afford", more like add him to the growing list of those waiting for payment.
    You do realize you're talking shipping from Ireland to Minnesota.

15. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You're spot on regards the poor packing.
    I've purchased two G5's from the same seller, both were shipped from southern Calif. to me on Vancouver Island and both arrived without any damage.
    As shown in the photo the towers were first wrapped in plastic and then the boxes were totally filled with pour in expanding foam creating one solid block.
    Albeit that didn't stop the Fed-Ex driver from complaining about the weight of the box .

Attached Files:

16. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

Sure, if you pay me the same on top! :p

----------

Well I think distance might make such a transaction a little too inconvenient! But if you were living down he road from me, how much would a wild eyed Power Mac enthusiast such as yourself be willing to part with for this imperfect beast?

----------

So you guys reckon I should sell it as one unit anyway. Good, because I disassembled one of these before. It takes a whole day, and special parts to get some of those nasty placed screws. Some are under the heatsink! I can't even remember how I got them in the end. Might have used a snake style screwdriver.

17. abundantmussel macrumors member

abundantmussel

18. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

According to the location he has under his Avatar, I'd guess Dublin, Univerity-College.

19. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

I live in Cavan, but I could arrange selling from Dublin too.

20. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I have no idea he was from Ireland.....
    Any why the attitude there? You said there was no hurry in payment

21. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

What is this all about? I don't understand...

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Were those ordered from Mac of all Trades?

23. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

No, they were purchased from "DVWarehouse"

24. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Only reason why I asked is that is exactly how one of my G5s came from Mac of all Trades.

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I would vote he's more of a Hillbilly than a Redneck.

Yeah, he wired a ground from his computer to outside. It connects to a lightening rod.

I've been to Dublin. People there were very nice, except the Police Officer shuffled me into the Garda Museum for 2 hours and wouldn't let me leave. He meant well but mannequins creep me out big time and that place was just one giant house of Mannequins wearing police informs. I like Ireland. I spent most of my time in Galway though. Everyday I saw this lady zooming around the city on a unicycle. I went to the Aaron Islands with my buddy and we got off at the wrong stop on the ferry and everyone on this particular Island was crosseyed.