Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I would vote he's more of a Hillbilly than a Redneck.

Yeah, he wired a ground from his computer to outside. It connects to a lightening rod.

I've been to Dublin. People there were very nice, except the Police Officer shuffled me into the Garda Museum for 2 hours and wouldn't let me leave. He meant well but mannequins creep me out big time and that place was just one giant house of Mannequins wearing police informs. I like Ireland. I spent most of my time in Galway though. Everyday I saw this lady zooming around the city on a unicycle. I went to the Aaron Islands with my buddy and we got off at the wrong stop on the ferry and everyone on this particular Island was crosseyed.

I live in a house built in 1950 technically there IS no earth ground in the house so technically nothing in this old house is grounded.....

----------

What is this all about? I don't understand...

The bolt through the computer doesn't bother people like me anyway.

not sure the point on the 2nd comment

jbarley sent me a new motherboard for my MDD for the cost of shipping in which I still owe (just started a new job and do not have the money right now) he said there was no rush to send payment as long as I don't forget about it completely, which I have not.

EDIT: I take that back the HE Furnace we had installed a few years back IS the only thing grounded... According to the company that installed it it HAD to be grounded to work at all (not sure how well i believe that though) anyways they grounded it to the metal sewer pipes so technically the furnace IS the only thing grounded in the house.

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I live in a house built in 1950 technically there IS no earth ground in the house so technically nothing in this old house is grounded.....

----------

The bolt through the computer doesn't bother people like me anyway.

not sure the point on the 2nd comment

jbarley sent me a new motherboard for my MDD for the cost of shipping in which I still owe (just started a new job and do not have the money right now) he said there was no rush to send payment as long as I don't forget about it completely, which I have not.

Jbarley should have known better.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I never said I would not keep 'reminding you' just in case it slips your mind.:rolleyes:

----------

Huh? JBarley should have known better not pressure you when he said that it was no rush. :)

A little wimpy, but overall a pretty good recovery.;)

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

What?! :eek: That's dangerous! Are your outlets non-grounded (2-prong) or are they grounded (3-prong)? If they are grounded outlets then they are not actually connected to ground and that is dangerous! It is against code! If there is no ground, you cannot have a grounded outlet, because people will think it is grounded and plug a grounded device in but it actually isn't and that can be dangerous. You must either have a 2-prong non-grounded outlet or you must have a GFCI outlet, with a sticker saying "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND". The GFCI outlet will offer protection from electrocution that the ground wouldn't do, but it does not offer an actual ground so electronics that need it (like computers and CRT monitors) may not function properly.

But you really should install some sort of grounding system. All you need to do is hammer a metal rod into the ground, then attach the rod to the grounding system.
Or you could connect the grounding system to the sewer pipe or plumbing (if they are metal and go under ground, they function as grounding rods).
Or, if you want to cheat, you can make a "bootleg ground". This is where you connect the ground wire to the neutral wire and use the neutral bus as the ground. I've heard a lot of people saying that is very bad thing to do, but I don't really understand this. Inside my electrical box, all the ground wires and neutral wires are connected to the same bar, the neutral bar.

This is probably why your MDD has the noise problem. There is no ground.
Have you ever noticed that when a computer is not grounded, the metal casing gets electrified and buzzes you every time you touch it? Especially when you have a CRT monitor plugged in. The monitor I used for the beige G3 leaked quite a lot of electricity through the VGA connector (the shield of it) when not grounded. This electrified the beige G3, which was also not grounded. It made the beige G3 hard to work with because it was always buzzing me. I had to use an extension cord to connect the machine and CRT to a properly grounded outlet (the outlet I was near had a bad ground and didn't really work... not sure why.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
A little wimpy, but overall a pretty good recovery.;)
I don't know about wimpy, but I thought it was decently clever.

trying to take your foot out of your mouth with that one huh? James isn't pressuring me. Not at all. He's a cool guy :)
He sounds pretty cool to be essentially giving you things for free and risking that he will never be reimbursed for shipping. And even with being reimbursed shipping, he's still taking time out of the day to ship it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.