How to sell the parents on getting me a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikehokie, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mikehokie macrumors regular

The new SR MBPs look like beautys. The fact is right now I am trying to edit hour long videos in Pinnacle Studio :)mad: worst editing program EVER) on a Dimension 8400 with 1 GB of RAM. My parents have an 8300 they use and I am desperately trying to convince them to let me buy a MBP with SR. They are skeptical at the $1799 price point (sister in college thats edu discount) and the fact that there is compatibility issues (Windows). I could ust boot camp and an $80 version of XP to remedy that. However with some of the extras I want to buy: Final Cut Express HD, laptop bag, Windows XP, and a 2GB stick of RAM to up my MBP to 3 GB. They are feeling a little overwhelmed. What should I do to make them see the Mac side of the force?

Thanks

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

take them to the apple store. that always fixes them ;)

3. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

Our nearest one is about 30 minutes away

Without traffic :eek:

Thanks

4. jellz macrumors regular

get a job and save up for it? otherwise, deal with it!

5. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I want to buy: Final Cut Express HD, laptop bag, Windows XP, and a 2GB stick of RAM to up my MBP to 3 GB. They are feeling a little overwhelmed. What should I do to make them see the Mac side of the force?

Ok, heres what I suggest. Just work on getting the MBP first, thats the first hurdle... start adding things on, and they wont like it.

Also, 2Gb of Ram is fine for what I'm guessing you intend on doing, for now anyway... Ram is coming down in price, and if you can make do with 2GB, then you should be fine... plus, 3rd party ram is cheaper. ie. Crucial (typically identical dimms to what Apple use, but there are some cheaper vendors)

Laptop bag... save up and buy it yourself, plus, theres no need to splash out, just search around other websites for them, you can usually find the same bag Apple sells on their site for less on others.

Windows XP & FC Exp. Now, these are something you cant just pick up next to nothing. Best advice is eBay... some dealers/shops sell overstock at lower prices. I've seen FC go for like £60 SEALED. Windows XP... as long as its a full retail version (or OEM but not recommended, but still works) you can get them pretty cheap... and you may also find you might not actually need it.. so one that is worth holding off on.

End of the day, its best to get the actual machine first, then spend on it. My Macbook I've had since Dec, and only now have I just got a case for it!! (and a HDD upgrade :) )

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have a modified version of jellz's response. Offer to raise/earn $500 toward its purchase. That shows responsibility and commitment on your part. It will also give your new MB new meaning. There is no substitute for actually earning something.

7. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Why would you need your parents to get you a MBP if you are already editing hour long videos? I'd imagine you are getting paid for that?

8. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Ummm, take your parents' cat as hostage and demand an MBP as ransome, or else... :D

9. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

My best advise is that you should save up some of the money yourself and also consider whether you really need some of the "extras" that bring it up to $3,000. You also might want to look into the benchmarks of 3 vs. 2 Gigs of RAM. Sometimes people on this forum, especially the ones trying to convince their parents to buy them things, forget that $3,000 is a lot of money. It's easier to keep adding things to your online cart when you don't realize how much money it really is and how long it takes to work for it. Like one of the other people said, by saving up for some of it yourself, you will appreciate it more and your parents will probably think you deserve it more. You will. So, go get a summer job, and may the mac be with you!

P.S. - sorry for the lecture

::but, you need it::

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

Willis, are you getting the MBP for other reasons than just using FC?

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

mikehokie - there was practically no difference running FC on a MacBook and the last revisions of MBPs. True, there would be more advantage now using the latter, but not too any extent that would automatically disqualify the MB.

As MBs are a fair bit cheaper, it should be easier to convince your parents to buy you one. If you've got your heart set on a MBP, why not offer to make up the price difference?

If you edit that much, I would recommend getting an external monitor whichever machine you get.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

1) I agree that a MacBook can run Final Cut just fine.....pretty much as good as a MBP. Just get an external monitor to work on when you work on FCP. A MB with a nice external LCD would be better than a MBP without an external monitor.

2) Get a refurb of the previous model, as there isn't much of a difference for what you do.

3) You're asking for too much. I don't want to convince your parents to buy you a computer just because you want it. You don't need this computer, but you want it. You want it for your hobby, and you're not earning the money yourself. Not getting stuff you want is a part of life, especially when you're young and not paying for stuff yourself.

13. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Go with a Macbook or get a job and save some money. They shouldn't argue once it's your own money :)

14. poke4christ macrumors member

Just curious, how old are you? Can you get a summer job? Do you have something else going on?

There's a lot of great advice in here. Take it to heart. I'm not a parent (I'm only 23), but I really think that them just giving you the laptop would be bad parenting. They should look on this as a lesson. Having you raise the money (or part of it) teaches responsibility and the value of money. However, they may have already done a great job with you and you may not need the lesson. Either way, I'd take the route suggested by many here. At the very least, you'll impress your parents with your responsibility and determination. That's worth a few brownie points right?

15. frankcow macrumors newbie

Tell them that it will pay for itself very quickly, with your newfound ability to create websites and movies for sale!

16. yagran macrumors 6502a

cmopatability issues? in what way? thats so not true anymore.

My dad hates macs sooo much, so i just kept asking for a mac every day. in the end we agreed that i could get a mac mini to start with to see what compatability is like etc and make sure i like osx in everyday use, rather than spending like £1000 + straight away, i have to say it was a good idea, and that im getting a MBP in october :D

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Or the most radical thing known to a Gen Y'ers-get a job!
    Actually work a second job while going to school!!!!

18. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I agree, you should just think about buying the machine first and worry about extras later. Get a summer job, and offer to pay for part of the machine. I did this last summer, and earned about $800 and got help to pay for the rest plus an iPod (I used the free iPod rebate). I upgraded it slowly (added 1 GB a few months after, 2nd gig and bigger HD is coming today). If you can pay for some of it yourself your parents won't be as reluctant to buy it.

Also consider the Macbook. They are very powerful and capable machines.

19. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

For the love of god people this is what happens when I fail to mention I work at Target! I earn 8 dollars an hour and will start next week. I also have a sister going to college so a MBP lowend will put me back $1799. FCE will cost $149 pre-installed. Now I can wait on the RAM. The bag I can get for $25-30 at Circuit City. I have an external Seagate, 400 GB 7200 RPM HDD with Firewire or USB 2.0. I do not get paid for my videos because it was a trip I took as a church group to Alaska. I take trips with my group and do some filming. I do filming at family events too. Now you may say that's not alot of filming, HOWEVER, I have an 8 megapixel Canon SLR with telephoto lens. The lens is so good that I could stand right next to someone zoom in all the way and literally see specks of dead skin on their arm. I am a n00b at photoshop, but I am pretty good at timelines and stuff. Plus photoshop would only really be used if I wanted to change the gains or colors in my photos (cityscapes I went to San Francisco as a trip).

I am 16, white, 6 foot 2, any more helpful info?

j/k, haha, but yeah you Apple guys are really passionate. I tried getting help on a PC forum about my computer crapping up and all I got was one spam response in 2 days.

Thanks guys and keep em coming for any links to low priced products.

20. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Tons of great advice here.... Exactly what I did.

I am a student, and I am dependent on my parents for college. When the MBP came out first in jan 2006, I very badly wanted one, but was ashamed to ask my parents for a $2500 machine... considering that they were already spending enough on me.

So I got a job, worked for one year, saved up $3000, and blew it all up today on a 15" 2.4 MBP with iPod and a few accessories. The best $3000 I ever saved and spent.

It sure does feel good to buy the MBP with my own money!

21. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

Why don't you spend 6-700 for Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

It is almost as good as Final Cut Pro 5.1... And it runs on your pc. But it is somewhat difficult. No so much for me because I have used it and Final Cut Pro. You don't want that express crap.

22. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

Why don't I want express HD

23. Macbie macrumors member

you can alway go 50/50 with your parents, this way you save some and they also save some both wins

24. Igantius macrumors 65816

If you don't like it, fine - but Express is generally regarded (quite rightly) as a excellent piece of software.

Premiere is "somewhat difficult"? Nah, not really.