How to stay happy all the time?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 9, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Life is too short to be moody, bitchy and possibly depressed... so how to stay happy at all times no matter what you may go through?

2. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

3. bartelby macrumors Core

You tend not to have a choice about depression...

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

That's too hard to do without stuff like drugs, and even then you have a 'downtime'.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, life is short. That much is certain.

Each day can be a challenge. I think it helps to try and have a positive outlook.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Happiness comes from being busy doing something you enjoy. Try not to sweat the small stuff or let other people take that away from you.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You can take the view that the bad times help you appreciate the good times. If you were always happy, then that would just be "average" and there would be nothing special about it.

8. chanerz macrumors 6502a

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

So money buys you happiness?

* For everyone else, this is just a question and I would love for this thread to stay in topic, as this is a very respectable, helpful thread.

10. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Action driven by Virtue. Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics in a nutshell.

In other words, simple pleasures are fun but temporary and empty. Doing something virtuous (opposed to just thinking about virtuous actions) is what leads to Eudaimonia, or "true happiness". Read it, it's a free iBook.

11. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

12. brunetmj macrumors member

A couple thoughts come to mind . Others cannot make us happy as it has to come from the inside. They can only add to it.
    Finding an occupation we have a passion for. Developing and maintaining a sense of wonderment for the planet we live on. Having compassion for all living things

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

14. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If you don't feel unhappy, sad or heartbroken in certain situations "no matter what you may go through" (to quote the OP), how can you be sure that the happiness that you feel is real and it is indeed as happy as it can/should be?

Life has all sorts of ups and downs. Going through these makes it worthwhile to live. You can try addictions or to become a person completely incapable of feeling sadness, but is it worth it?

I'm sure that true happiness is precious because it has weight. Unless you experience what happiness is against, you won't appreciate any of it.

OK, that's it for today. Who's got pot, I just saw a thread and I want a joint. :)

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

"Happiness is the interval between periods of unhappiness."

- Don Marquis

IMO it's impossible to be happy 24/7. We are all unhappy sometimes, it's completely normal. Without unhappiness, there would be no happiness as everything would be and feel the same.

16. Queso macrumors G4

^^ this. Plus of course that the periods of unhappiness are the things that motivate us to improve ourselves and our surroundings. If our ancestors had been blissfully happy up in the trees we'd be a very different species now.

17. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Sadly, they couldn't smoke their leaves up there due to health and safety issues. Once they came down, they thought that just as well they can get a job. :eek:

18. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

My life slogan is "It happens". When I get a crappy grade on an exam, I don't linger on it and let it get me upset because "It happens". You just have to learn to move on. In the grand scheme of things, 99% of things that are upsetting don't really matter in the long run. There is too much to be happy about and to laugh about.

We live from challenge to challenge, day in and day out, and things are hard. But just blast your favorite song and surround yourself with people and things that you love, and those challenges won't seem all that bad. Bobby McFerrin said it best, really..."Don't worry, be happy".

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It's not that hard. Learn not to take things so seriously.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is unrealistic to expect that you will be happy all of the time.

21. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Easy. Stop being sad and be awesome instead.

But seriously, I agree with everyone else that said you can't be happy all the time. If you're sad, just find things that make you happy. Hang out with friends or go somewhere quiet.

I go to this park near San Francisco where I can just be alone for a while if I'm really depressed. I know this may sound cliche, but it really does feel like being one with nature.

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

1. Don't fret about not being happy all the time?
    2. Expect less?
    3. Embrace unhappiness as character-building?
    4. Whatever happens, find silver lining?

( ...and definitely DON'T watch any of those awful TV ads for anti-depression meds :) )

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

There's nothing a shot of pricey malt and a quick smooch can't cure for me.

24. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

It's impossible to be happy 100% of the time for your entire life. ...Unless you are mentally retarded and the happy switch is stuck.

Perrsonally, I totally lucked out and found a great girl early in life (right at the end of HS) and she keeps me very happy.
    But life throws some curve balls here and there. Gotta deal with the crap and move on.

Oh, and cocaine. :)