How to stop iTunes wanting to download updates to old apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukekarts, Oct 26, 2011.

1. lukekarts macrumors regular

By that, I mean all Apps I no longer have on my iPhone; the Apps tab in iTunes shows for example 15 updates available, but some of these will be old Apps I've deleted months ago.

How do I stop it wanting to update them all?

Running a 2011 MBA on OSX Lion.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Delete them from iTunes on the computer. Then the computer won't check them.

TEG

3. lukekarts thread starter macrumors regular

D'oh. Well that's incredibly logical and I have no idea why I didn't do that. :D

Thanks

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

You can also try syncing your iPhone to iTunes and those apps should be deleted automatically (I believe, I'm not sure).

EDIT: don't try that, as I'm not sure if it will delete the apps or if it will sync them back to your iPhone.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

6. monkeylui macrumors 6502

It's always the easy solutions. People really make out computers issues harder than they are. Thank you for posting as that is exactly what I was going to say just based on the title.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Doesn't do that -- deleting apps on the iPhone doesn't delete them from iTunes. You have to delete them in iTunes. However, if you delete an app on the iPhone and then sync, iTunes does get updated with you not wanting to have the app on the iPhone (that is, it doesn't just load it back onto the phone).

FWIW also, before, when you did this, if you ever wanted the app again, you had to go to the store, and "buy" it, and then you'd get a window saying you'd already purchased it, whereas now those apps will still show up in your iCloud app list, even if you've deleted them from iTunes.