Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcoTimarac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
I've seen how to do it around here somewhere but i can't find it currently. Anyone know?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
InsomniaX will not work on the 2011 models. InsomniaT works but is annoying because you have to go into system preferences to turn it on/off. InsomniaX had better usability.

mackage

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2011
Maybe I am missing something, but why would you not want the laptop to sleep when you close the lid?

Creditcard

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
The keyboard is the air intake of the mbp. Closing the lid while using the computer causes it to overheat!:eek:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The keyboard is the air intake of the mbp. Closing the lid while using the computer causes it to overheat!:eek:
This is false. The intake and exhaust vents are located at the rear of all Apple notebooks, near the hinge. There is a solid sheet under the keyboard, preventing airflow. Apple wouldn't give instructions on how to use the computer in clamshell mode if it was likely to cause problems.

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?

i lol at that!!! Theres a vent in the back of the MBP between the body and the screen, thats where air goes in - and air comes out.

Oh and i use a Moshi Clear Guard for my 13" MBP... and without it, i notice no temperature difference(average).

Last edited:

scrapple

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
Maybe I am missing something, but why would you not want the laptop to sleep when you close the lid?

air video for ipad.... its the best app for the ipad if you like to watch videos..
no reason to put any movies on your ipad... just get a 16gb and your good to go...
all the movies stream from your laptop to your ipad via wifi.... so closing the lid would be nice...

also, someone about to give a presentation in another room... .he has to walk with his macbook open...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I find this very unlikely, since all the MacBooks are designed to run with the lid closed. Attach a USB keyboard and mouse, external monitor, hit any key on the external keyboard to wake it up, and the MacBook or MBP will run with lid closed. It's designed to do that.

hogsrul

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Just close the lid and wake the computer up with the wireless mouse or keyboard. If you don't have a wireless mouse or keyboard, then go get one. It works great!

Wanderer509

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
I find this very unlikely, since all the MacBooks are designed to run with the lid closed. Attach a USB keyboard and mouse, external monitor, hit any key on the external keyboard to wake it up, and the MacBook or MBP will run with lid closed. It's designed to do that.

the only exception to that is if your mbp is not plugged in, external keyboard wont wake it up. i believe apple designed it such that u cannot only use external display while on battery power. maybe using these handy softwares will change it?

iMackPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
do you have the trackpad and keyboard (bluetooth)

if you do set it up under system prefs and have them wake your computer while they are asleep. then close your lid turn your tv on plug your cord in and then use your devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.