How to swap 3g and 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JRoDDz, Apr 14, 2011.

1. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

My wife has an iPhone 3G, I have a 3Gs. I want to give her my 3Gs and take her 3G (don't ask). What is the best way to go about this. I know you can swap the sim cards, but what about sms messages, photos, etc. Any way I can swap those? Can I do a restore from her backup onto the 3GS?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, restore from her backup and she can restore from the other backup and just switch sims.

3. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Thanks, going to try that later today. I've had enough of the "my phone is sooo slow" complaints :rolleyes:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but now you will be the one saying "my phone is too slow" :D

5. err404 macrumors 68020

Are both iPhones running the latest iOS? I mention this because the 3G runs much better on the 3.x versions, but the restores may have compatibility issues if the OS's are far apart.

6. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

the 3g is on 4.2.1 and the 3gs is current, 4.3.1. Yes I know the 3G is slow on ios 4.. But I find myself using it more like a phone than anything else. Waiting on the 5 to come out to use my upgrade.

7. err404, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

Can I assume that the 3G is due for an upgrade and the 3GS is not? If so your "trade" makes sense. ;)

The restore to the 3GS should be fine. Hopefully the backup to the 4.2.1 3G will also restore properly on a slight older iOS build. If you are are unable to restore you backup, you could lose your App data. Fortunately your contacts and other media should be saved on your iTunes machine so you can sync back down to your phone.

8. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I would also recommend manually backing up your most current backups for both phones before starting this swap. Find the directory on your computer with the backups are stored and copy them both into another directory. It would really suck to lose one of them in the process.

9. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Actually going to upgrade both to the 5 whenever it comes out hopefully later this year.. so I don't mind using a slow 3G for a while. I will make sure to backup the backup directory before doing any restores. thanks for the replies.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

I would recommend downgrading the 3G to 3.1.3 it will be allot faster when you need it to be.

11. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Just an update. going from 3g backup onto the 3gs complete success :) Going from 3GS to 3G is big fail. Apparently iTunes doesn't let you restore a backup from 4.3.1 onto a device that only has 4.2.1 (iphone 3G). I had to setup the 3G as new.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Nope, no going backwards for Apple. Onwards to the future!

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just the way they did with the iPod shuffle.:D

14. JRoDDz thread starter macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I'd much rather go "Back" to the future! :D