How to swap iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natedamacguy, May 31, 2011.

1. Natedamacguy macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently have two iPhone 4s (16g and 32g) but both are black models. My brother is getting a new white iPhone 4 and wants to trade me for my mint condition black one.

I've previosly had several iPhones and was able to swap them around without problem, however, I don't know if the new micro sim cards make things different on the iPhone 4s?

Once my brothers phone is activated, he is going to mail it to me from out of state, I'll do the swap somehow and mail it back.

My question is how do I do the swap? What are the steps necessary? Or is it as simple as changing the sim and hooking the phones up to the appropriate iTunes account and syncing?

Thanks for any advice.

Nate

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Yup, its as simple as swapping the SIMs and syncing (backing up, restoring, etc.).

3. TheXFactor macrumors regular

Not to hijack your stuff, but anyone know how to swap verizon iPhones? I have a 16, just ordered a 32. Going to transfer the 16 to another line and use the 32 on my line. The other line currently has a samsung fascinate. Do I have to call or visit verizon?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I believe you'll need to visit the store with all the phones necessary for the transaction plus all people involved. CDMA really is a bitch.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not entirely ... you can login to your Verizon account and do it online ... dial *228 and do it right there on the phone. Not hard at all.

Not as easy as a SIM swap, but the GSM heads always exaggerate the process on CDMA phones.

6. Natedamacguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks!

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You still have to involve Verizon in the process. With GSM, you don't have to call or dial anything.:rolleyes:

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

dialing *228 only takes a couple seconds, and you don't have to speak to any operator. you call, receive an automated message, and you're set. not the hardest thing to do.

9. TheXFactor macrumors regular

I am the account holder. I will be switching from the 16 gig currently on my line to a 32 gig. Which phone do I use when I call *228?

I did this before when I switched from one droid to another, but I can't remember if the original phone on the line is automatically deactivated when dialing *228 from the new phone?

And on the second line, replacing the Fascinate with the iPhone, do I do the same? Someone at Verizon told me the iPhone needs to be deactivated first before a new phone could be activated?

GSM is definitely easier.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm pretty sure you can just dial *228 on the 32gb handset and it will automatically deactivate the 16gb one. Then just do *228 on the 16gb Iphone and the facisnate will automatically deactivate

while GSM is easier, its not something that most people do often anyways. once you figure out how to do the *228, then it's really not a big deal. with that being said, i still think GSM is better in many ways (including being able to swap SIMs like that).

I remember going to the Sprint store just to get my number swapped on my phone since i thought only they could do it. with that being said, that was before the sprint nextel merger ... when sprnt had the red logo, you know in like 2004. maybe they didn't have the *228 feature back then

11. TheXFactor macrumors regular

I remember when I bought my first unlocked/unbranded phone. I was like in 7th heaven. Back when I was with ATT. Took the sim out of my razr and right into the E-71. No calls, no hassles, no *228.