How To Switch From PC to a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ghsNick, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Okay, I'm very good with PC's...but Apple is kind of foreign to me.
    Obviously I can use it with basic functions...but I want to know all the tips and certain finger swipes across the mouse-pad to do all those handy short cuts be a PRO user.

Does anyone know of any good videos on YouTube or any other tutorial method to get good tips?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

New Mac? Where to start.

Apple Tutorials

Welcome to the club! Your going to love your mac.

3. nygfan80 macrumors regular

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thanks.

5. Camps23 macrumors member

6. kitzuki macrumors regular

kitzuki

same useful info i can give to others with out having to answer them directly XD

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Can't please everyone I guess.

8. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I highly recommend install parallel and keep windows.
    It will lessen the pain... Also windows 7 is not a bad platform to keep around in virtual environment.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

BOOM!
    Awesome man thanks...Going to pick up the updated MBP (hopefully on Thursday if it comes out!)

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Great choice.

11. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

well the first step to switching form a PC to a MBP is well getting the MBP. (duh!!)
    and then trust me, you will adapt yourself to it. i have been a PC person my entire life (17 beautiful years) and then a couple weeks ago i got a mac (my dad argued with me over why i should get mac over PC, and i finally accepted, since he was gonna pay for it :) )
    so what i did was just watch reviews on the product ot get a feel for what it was like virtually to others, and then i watched a couple of videos from apple (someone already gave the link above :) )

but the thing you have to keep in mind with the MBP is well the whole trackpad thingy. once you get the whole idea of that, you get the entire thing (it is weird i know, but trust me).

so you get your first MBP, have watched vids and all, what next?
    play around with it, get used to it. take about a day just installing things you would want, ie google chrome, some apps and all and so you get hte feel for installation of programs and how simple it it...

that's all i did, and i know a lot of things about my mac (more than my sis who got it the same day i did!!)

12. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I think 90% of the people on these forums were just like you at one point of their computer using career. Eventually if we were ever Windows users, we switched over to the Mac platform. I'll honestly say that it's just one of those things that you should just embrace. Before I got my first Mac, I knew I wanted one but I knew I would be a noob at it. Most of the stuff I learned about the Mac OS came from me just playing around on it by myself.

I have a very helpful "Top Mac Tips" PDF that I can email you. It was typed up by Chris Pirillo and even though I've been a "hard core" mac user since around 2009ish, I even picked up on some great tips that I didn't know about. If you're interested in reading the PDF, direct message me your email and I'll send it over.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Of what? Haha

15. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Well one easy thing is that control is not 'control' anymore, its COMMAND! :cool: lol

16. s1lv3r macrumors member

s1lv3r

great links!

Thanks for helping

ps: i'm a switcher too - just got my MBA 3 wks ago

17. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

9 months ago I bought my first mac pc. If you're near an Apple store, you should attend the free classes. I was a heavy PC user for years, and to ease my transition I bought a magic mouse (set to two button mode) and Microsoft Office.

I installed Windows 7 on a different partition using bootcamp, haven't touch it in months. I'm sure if I boot into it, I would have to run tons of security updates before I can comfortably connect to the internet.