how to switch on wifi without using settings pane

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kkk, Jan 17, 2011.

1. kkk macrumors newbie

my top part of the iphone screen is not responsible, digitizer is damaged. so i'm not able to touch any buttons that are in top section of the screen. therefore
    wifi on/off button in settings pane is not accessible for me. i need to install bosspref's wifi toggle but cant do it since i haven't wifi.

i installed RipDev's InstallApp onto desktop but can't install InstallAppSupport on phone in order to be able to sync InstallApp with the phone.

for workaround i need to find InstallAppSupport .deb file and install it manually over SSH to my phone. where to get that InstallAppSupport .deb file?

also i need to find out an IP of my iPhone from my desktop. (because i cant look it up from settings pane on the phone). How to do it?

my system: iPhone 1G, soft 3.1.3, desktop osx 10.6.3

2. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

BossPrefs, haha. This isnt 2008, use SBSettings

3. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Which he won't be able to activate because the top part of his screen is damaged.

BUMP so maybe someone that knows can see this easier

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Install sbsettings and then thru activator you can use another way of acessing sbsettings by using other gestures or button combinations.

5. kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

allrighty, i would love to install sbsettings, but how? i'm not able to do manual install thru SSH, because i can't see my phones IP (can't access settings pane).

how to lookup for my phone's IP (hooked via USB) from desktop?
    any terminal command hints are welcome!

6. outphase macrumors 65816

7. kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

i can install nothing via Cydia because i can't switch wifi on. it won't install without wifi on.

what is workaround for switching wifi on?
    (actually that is my core question)

8. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Can't you place the .deb into /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall via PhoneDisk and then reboot?: http://www.macroplant.com/phonedisk/

Also, it seems like you're asking for the IP address of your iPhone? If you're on 3G, it doesn't matter because you can't really do anything with it. If you're on Wi-Fi, you'll have to check the "connected devices" from your router's config page. But, if you're on Wi-Fi, you've already figured out how to enable it and all this is moot?

9. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Change the activation method with activator

10. kkk, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks coasterswim! i could log in to root with PhoneDisk.

11. QuarterSwede, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Am I missing something or couldn't you just turn wifi on in General > Network > WiFi? That's the most obvious solution.

[EDIT] Scratch that. The on/off WiFi toggle switch is still at the top.

12. kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i'm actually looking for the app called WifiToggle http://rdsbc.blogspot.com/2008/11/shortcut-to-toggle-wifi-on-iphone.html

it's standalone app icon and i can rearrange icons in iTunes to place it out of the non responsive screen area e.g top of the screen.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

I just found that and realized it hasn't been updated to support anything passed 2.2 IOS doesn't seem like it be hard for somebody to write. I guessing after SBSettings there was no need. Except cases like yours of course. I'll keep looking for you.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It won't download anything via EDGE?

15. kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

bad news. i need to find stand alone wifi toggle app to enable that damn wifi.

thanks labman!

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

Edge Works for me I just tried for fun turned off 3G and Wifi. It was very slow though. is this a known t-mobile issue with Cydia I have always been AT&T

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You could do a couple of things:

1) Download SBSettings & Activator via your computer and install using terminal or /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall (requires a reboot)
    1a) Rotate iPhone to landscape so that volume keys are up. Use Activator gesture to pull up SBSettings (default is swipe status bar left to right). The wifi toggle will be near the bottom of the screen.

2) Restore the iPhone. I believe the default is for wifi to be on.

EDGE was working for me too. It may be slow but at least it works.

18. kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

Cellular Data Network settings button is also at the top of the screen - can't touch it (broken digitizer at the top)

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

So you basically can't use the top HALF of your screen? You may want to get that digitizer fixed. I can't see you being able to do much of anything with the iPhone at this point.

By the way, here is a link to the SBSettings.deb and Activator.deb

20. kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, top row of the icons are not sensible. i've been living with it almost half a year by now. only thing i couldn't use so far was wifi (basically the good part of the internet)...:)

i rearranged my homescreen in iTunes sacrificing some icons like stocks, weather etc. also, i can't dial numbers on keypad that contain digits 1,2,3. then i have to store my number via "contacts" keypad is lower there.

thanks guys, will try to get sbsettings with activator to work now.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

WOW half the screen I get the digitizer fixed you can find them pretty cheap on ebay and lots of video's how to do if you handy. Or you should be able to find somebody local that can do it.

22. kkk thread starter macrumors newbie

can't install sbsettings and activator with deb files. i'm adding .deb files to my /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall with PhoneDisk but nothing happens.

can it be an issue with PhoneDisk that it doesn't browse the "real root"?
    it never asks for my "root--alpine" password.

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

24. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Hate to say this but I believe it's time for you to get a new phone :eek: I can't imagine it being a good experience with half of the touch screen not working

25. coasterswim macrumors 6502

What does Cydia do when you try to launch it and install applications when connected to 3G? It should work just fine.