How to switch VZW plan to replacement unit

Discussion in 'iPad' started by koigirl, Mar 30, 2012.

1. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I switched out my defective VZW iPad for replacement unit. How do I switch over my prepaid plan from my old unit to the new one? Can I do this online or on iPad or do I have to call VZW? TIA for advice.:)

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Well, it's Verizon, so it's definitely not gonna be easy, that's for sure.

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

LOL!
    You can call the knowledgeable <:)> folks in the VZW prepaid support dept to changed the IMEI on your account. That sounds like a place to start.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Apple Store swapped my SIM into the new iPad, iPad picked up the plan automatically.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

For VZW or ATT? I know ATT will, VZW may be different.

6. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Call Verizon but you will need the "phone number" that was created when you signed up on your previous iPad. If you have that and the information from your new iPad, they will be able to switch the account. I did this and there was no problem once I was finally transferred to technical support.

7. koigirl thread starter macrumors 6502a

koigirl

How to resolve:

Here is final word on this. First of all, if you need to switch out your Verizon iPad for any reason, make sure they take your SIM card out of the unit and replace in new one. If for some reason you don't do this and have to call Verizon to transfer your prepaid data plan to the new unit, make sure they try to find your prepaid account with the email address account you used to set up plan. After spending an hour talking to 3 different reps in different departments who in roundabout ways were trying unsuccessfully to locate my account, my AT&T iPhone dropped the call:rolleyes: just as i felt we were making some headway. Frustrated, I called back, got a different agent, she asked for the email address, and BINGO, the plan was smoothly transferred in about 2 minutes. Here's the direct number for this dept. if anyone needs it: 800-786-8619. Hope this helps someone else avoid my snafu!:)

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

vzw

9. Digidesign macrumors 6502

You shouldn't have to do this, but just wanted to throw out another option, which is to purchase a Verizon Micro SIM card for a few bucks (eBay for $5.95 shipped), then pop that in before returning/selling.

I got the extra card and plan on doing this when selling the iPad in the future, since it gives the buyer a clean account to start from. Again, you shouldn't have to do this for a return with Apple since they can help you, but it's just another idea to consider.

10. wirelessness macrumors 6502

Don't do what I did

I traded in my 16GB VZW iPad for a 64GB version and had a huge problem getting the plan migrated. Don't do the following:

1 - forget to remove the SIM card from return unit
    2 - forget to document the Mobile number of return unit
    3 - forget to document the MEID number of return unit
    4 - forget to document the ICCID (SIM number) of return unit

If you have all this information it should be easy to transfer.

If by chance you did what I did and forgot to capture this data you can still get it fixed. Verizon seemed incapable of looking up my account without the MEID number after many attempts. I finally found an Apple CSR who was able to find the MEID number based on the Serial Number from my sales receipt. This was not easy and took several people to finally find this number. I had not synched w/ iTunes or it would have been easier they told me.

Once I had the old MEID number I was able to finally (after several transfers and failed attempts) be connected to a Technical VZW CSR who was able to add the new SIM ID to my account.