How to Take a Screenshot on Your Mac

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jul 4, 2018.

1. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

Thanks Man ! Appreciate it !!

2. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Does the PDF contain the original webpage as displayed in the browser or is it a "print view" which may look different from the actual page? Also, is the PDF continuous or is it broken into pages and margins according to the browser's paper size setting?

3. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

Some people are saying this takes too many key strokes or that they want shortcuts to capture the screen. That's how I always did it, and they still work.

I have a shortcut that allows me to select part (or all) of the screen and then pastes it into the clip board, and another one that allows me to save it as a png. Is that what people want? If so, they can be easily set up.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 21.24.00.png

4. UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

It is continuous, doesn’t show any browser buttons, and the pages I have saved look like original, but it may depend on the ability of the “reader option”
    Though it looks pretty darn good when I PDF the recipes from random webpages

You need to browse the page to the end first though, to make sure all the pictures are loaded. If they are not, they will not show in PDF, making a blank screen

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is the new screen capture interface really missing a choice to screen-record a specific window? For me that's the most common case.

6. Neurobit, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018

Neurobit macrumors regular

IDK, but what stinks is that you can no longer right-click on Notes, or Mail, or iMessage and quickly capture something from the screen like you used to prior to Mojave (basically Ctrl+Shift+Cmd+4). That option is gone. Use it daily. Does anyone know how to re-enable that?

7. Mac'dTheGuy macrumors newbie

Mac'dTheGuy

Mine, I just use Quicktime then crop things if I don't want to show them.

I recorded the clip below with just Quicktime.

8. rumormiller macrumors member

Try completely free https://derailer.org/paparazzi/ for capturing entire web pages. I find setting capture mode to scrolling results in the images always loading on a web page.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2018 ---
    How to change the default capture format. It's currently set to tiff which results in enormous file sizes. Time to find the terminal command.

9. Neurobit macrumors regular

Thanks, but I have plenty of capture products. That's not the point.
    None of them are as easy as natively capturing from Mail/Notes/iMessage.

10. rumormiller macrumors member

Found it!
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg; killall SystemUIServer
    Works in macOS Mojave :)

11. Neurobit macrumors regular

Capture.png

Here's what I'm talking about. Gone in Mojave...

12. rumormiller macrumors member

sysprefs.jpg
    I use F5 and F6 keys for screenshots as they're not taken by macOS.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Tip: If you send screenshots to your desktop, then you can use the Stacks feature of Mojave to group them all together.

14. k2director macrumors regular

Agreed. No screen shot utility seems to let you save to Photos where you can organize them in Albums, share them etc. I thought for sure Apple would make that possible but oh well.

15. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

This question is likely why the screen shot recording tool doesn't include sound. :(

16. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

The old way was faster. Just press they key combo and bam, it's done. Now I have to wait a few seconds like I do on iOS, unless I am missing something on how to dismiss it quickly.

17. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

When using multiple displays I want to see is the control menu to move to the display you want to capture.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can turn it off if you're never going to use it. Anything you set in there carries over to the traditional shortcuts too.

19. sumo.do macrumors regular

sumo.do

20. alien3dx macrumors 6502a

alien3dx

Why not use quicktime, im not sure if microphone allow. I do screencast on how to use the system.In window ,i resort to jing.In linux, i never yet success any.

21. winterhalder macrumors newbie

Hmm, I've got 2 additional monitors attached to my MacBook Pro - can't seem to figure a way to capture from anything *but* the main display. What am I missing? (Hopefully I'm just being dumb :) )
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2018 ---
    Hmm, I see it now. The *selection* area always targets the main screen - but you *can* move it. And when choosing screen or window, you can target any of the monitors... I think my existing SnagIt workflow is faster for now...

22. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I started a recording - and haven't been able to find any way to turn it off. I'll be rebooting shortly. I don't see any indicator except the white rectangle that anything's happening.

23. dmanthony1 macrumors newbie

dmanthony1

I was trying to figure out how to do this in messages again and it drives me nuts that they took it away. However, it is possible with the new screen capture utility. Command+Shift+5, resize the selection as desired, and press Command+C. Your screenshot will be copied to the clipboard, but not to your desktop.

24. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I tried Command+C and nothing happened. This is the second time I've tried Command+Shift+5. The first time I tried to capture a video. Both times I failed to finish the capture and had to reboot to remove the capture window.