How to Take a Screenshot on Your Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 4, 2018.

1. thiskiwicanfly macrumors newbie

It's very good and easy to use, but there's a significant delay of about 2-3 seconds whenever I press Record to start a new screen recording. I didn't realise this until after I made a couple of sample test videos, and realised that the first few seconds of the recording where I immediately start speaking was not captured. So now after pressing Record - I purposely wait and count 3 seconds (in my head) before proceeding, and it works perfectly.

2. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

3. thiskiwicanfly macrumors newbie

There's a circular STOP button that appears in the menu bar (on the top-right of screen).

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 2.09.51 AM.jpg

4. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Thanks. I did not see it, nor did I see any way to get help to find it. Lots of times Apple figures things are so obvious that we don't need any way of figuring things out. Lots of times Apple is wrong about this.

5. thiskiwicanfly macrumors newbie

I know exactly what you're saying. It's always been a fundamental principle of Apple to make features seamless and easy to use, which is a good thing in my opinion, but ironically that simplicity can sometimes lead to confusion.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Software vendors usually face the challenge of providing >N features with <N interface controls. Users don't want the clutter of a separate button or link for every possible action, so the vendor provides easy access to the most important actions, then "hides" the others in submenus, behind Advanced buttons, or in plain sight if you know which modifier keys to hold or where to force touch.

Apple is typically better at this game than many other software vendors, but every user has his or her opinion about how much should be obvious and their own intuition about where the rest of the functionality is hiding.

7. NoIdentity macrumors newbie

Is there a way to disable the onscreen interface and use only the touchbar one?

8. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Obviously save as PDF is not an answer. So no, as of now sadly you still need third party apps such as paparazzi! to accomplish this.

9. dcingie macrumors newbie

Cool, we get to memorize more nondescript icons' meanings

10. laszlo182 macrumors regular

WHY THE HECK it doesn’t ignore the floating thumbnail when taking another screenshot as on iOS

Bad UX

11. jbryant705 macrumors newbie

What do you mean? There's no option in Safari in the share sheet. You can, however, use File > Export as PDF

12. ignatius345, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018

ignatius345 macrumors 68000

I have a few Macs, and I pointed them all to save their screenshots to an iCloud Drive folder cleverly named "Screenshots", so they're available from everywhere.

Using OnyX, I also have them all named starting with the name of which Mac I took them from, so a screenshot taken just a bit ago on this Mac is automatically named MacBook Pro 2018-10-10 at 4.36.17 PM.png
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2018 ---
    It's a bit of a kludge, but if you click the menu, hit ⌘+⇧+4 and then hit space, it'll capture the menu -- then you could do it again with the sub-menu to get that separately. If there was a quick way to combine them you'd end up with a very clean image, no background.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not on Mojave, having just upgraded to High Sierra last week, but this new screen capture function seems to be more cumbersome than it was before. I use screencaps a lot, especially for creating tutorials. The 4 I use most frequently are capturing the entire screen or an area, to a file or to the clipboard. The keyboard shortcuts are the fastest way I've found to do that:

Cmd-Shift-3 to capture the full screen to a file
    Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-3 to capture the full screen to the clipboard
    Cmd-Shift-4 to capture an area to a file
    Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-4 to capture an area to the clipboard​

The new functionality in Mojave adds unnecessary steps, requiring not just a keyboard shortcut but now also requiring selection of options with the mouse/trackpad before the screenshot is taken. As long as the existing keyboard shortcuts still work, I'd be bypassing the new interface.

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I can't get the cropping tool to work. After taking the capture, then clicking on the thumbnail, there's a cropping tool, but I can't seem to adjust it at all, there's no handles or anything. Can anyone else figure this out?

15. cocoua macrumors regular

cocoua

This is only interesting if you can record system audio right out of the box

If not, same **** of earlier systems but new interface for those who doesnt like shorcuts...

16. UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

You are talking MacOS, I talk iOS :)

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since this thread is "How to Take a Screenshot on Your Mac", iOS doesn't apply here. There is no option on macOS to do what you suggested.

18. APL_moved_iCloud_to_China macrumors newbie

Good luck sharing a mojave mac screen recording video via iMessage. The iOS recipient can only preview a tiny thumbnail. Enlarging the video doesn't work b/c Quicktime isn't supported on iOS.

Old man shouts at sky: "WTF!? How does preview work on iOS but not full screen???"

Image-1.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

OnyX is great for stuff like this, BTW. Lots of control over different system parameters like this. I used it to append to the beginning of my screenshots the name of the Mac I took them on, so I get something like "MacBook Pro 2018-11-02 at 11.57.00 AM.png"

20. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Oh thank goodness I can still use the individual hotkeys. Section of screen to clipboard makes Anki flash cards so much easier to build.