How to take care of iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chaseg22, Dec 20, 2011.

1. chaseg22 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    So I am about to purchase a new 27" iMac, what is the best way to take care of it so it will last as long as possible,
    Do I Turn it off every night and every time I am not using it, or do I put it to sleep? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing both? (other than waiting a couple seconds for a boot up?)
    Anyother tips I should no about?
    Thanks guys!

2. AL2TEACH macrumors 6502

so far the verdict is to let it sleep for various reasons. I shutdown about 2x's a week. do a search "better to sleep or shutdown a mac".
    have lots of joy with that 27'.

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Connecting your iMac to a high quality UPS unit (like APC SmartUPS 1,000+ VA model) will reduce its exposure with electrical brown outs and spikes. Do ensure your chosen brand of UPS uses Pure Sine (not step approximation output). iMacs needs Pure Sine output.

If wondering, my iMac is connected to Backup UPS 1,300 VA unit. And, my house has Whole House Surge Protection on its 200A main panel as well. Double protection.

4. leman macrumors 604

There is no difference, frankly. Don't drop it, don't expose it to bad weather conditions and your computer should serve you all the time it can. You have three years warranty, so you are covered here, after that its a gamble. The HDD will probably go first.

You should avoid turning it on and off every time you go get a coffee though, that taxes the HDD.

5. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Unplug it during serve Thunderstorms to make sure lightning don't strike the power surge outlet

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Meh, no difference whether you keep it running at night or not. I would get a UPS though.

7. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

make sure it gets enough sun and water it daily

8. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Cleaning the screen, any do's and don'ts?

What is the life expectancy of the SSD that comes with the iMac?

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-try and take it for a walk at least once a day
    -i find mine likes to have it's memory grill rubbed
    -do not, repeat do not give it a bath,but a lite dusting never hurt
    -at night i leave a blanket out,and also a warm glass of brandy (which is always gone next morning) my mac has issues i believe ;-)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no problem in just letting it sleep when you're not using it. Many users go weeks or months without restarting a Mac. There's no need to shut down.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

11. iFalcon macrumors regular

LMAO - I needed a good laugh to start the morning off.

12. Akack macrumors 6502a

13. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I never turn my macs off. I just shut the lid on my macbook and when i have finished using my iMac i just walk away. after a bit the screen "saver" appears, then after a bit more it falls asleep, then when i need to use it i just hit a key wait a few seconds and then type in my password which is gAvinSpuMe6^78hatstand!!! if you are interested.

Oh and in the spirit of the earlier advice I always give it a good rub down and then brush and curry comb her after use, then i cover it in a blanket and give it some oats. I also find that lullabyes help it go into sleep mode.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Treat it with respect. Give it a glass of water and a kiss at night. In the morning make it it's favorite breakfast. Don't get jealous and upset when it hangs out with other humans, they're just friends. Trust the iMac.

15. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Adding on to this I tend to read mine a good night story every night and give it a good night kiss.