How to tell if it is a genuine milanese loop?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Dracoy, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Dracoy macrumors member

I have a chance to buy one used for $100, but I have no idea how to tell if it is real. What should I check?

2. gigaguy macrumors 65816

If you mean real being Apple, the Apple ones are thicker and stand on their side. the 3rd party bands collapse like a chain.

3. Dracoy thread starter macrumors member

Stand on their side, can you elaborate? Is there a pic by any chance I can reference?

Thanks man! Also is there any etchings I can see?

4. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

5. gigaguy macrumors 65816

If you set it down it sits like a leather strap would, keeps it's form more, stays more rigid. the 3rd party ones collapse into loops of mesh. But I like my 3rd party black one a lot, esp for a fraction of the Apple cost. even the Apple ones scratch up. etchings? I guess if I had an Apple pen I could etch, but I don't ...good luck.

6. Dracoy thread starter macrumors member

Haha thanks guys! Etching I meant is there any markings on the watch that would say it is genuine.

The reason I thought genuine is better is that I read that the 3rd party ones had weak magnets and the watch has risk of falling.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Hmm, I think the magnets are the most similar aspect. It's the scratching I don't like but I've seen pics of both scratching some, esp the magnet cover piece. not paying $150 for a scratched up mesh band. just get a $20 one and try it. but I'm not an expert on the Apple version, just seen it in the store.

8. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

The link I sent one person asked if they are weak and other guy said he plays vollyball with his and its strong

9. Dracoy thread starter macrumors member

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Two sure fire ways to identify genuine- one lug has "assembled in China" laser etched on it and on the inside of the band there should be 38mm etched to indicate the size.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

So to clarify, genuine Apple Watch lugs that third parties can purchase have "Made for Apple Watch" laser etching whereas the lugs on OEM Apple bands have "Assembled in China," correct?

12. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

The magnets are fine on most of the knock-offs. The thing to watch for on the fakes is that the magnet 'lug' doesn't pass through the slot on the mounting adapter!

13. chuyn macrumors 6502

What do you mean? The OEM magnet piece doesn't pass through either

14. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

15. Dracoy thread starter macrumors member

I asked someone about their genuine one loop and it doesn't say made in China on magnet.

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Just go for the knockoff. They're basically identical.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's not on the magnet. It's on one of the lugs - the top part that attaches to the watch.

18. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

That's exactly the one I'm using now. I ordered the one by BRG 1st but it was prone to micro adjustments when I'd flex my wrist too much. I received the Penom yesterday and immediately tested for that. Thing didn't budge! I see why it got/gets great reviews!

Also, it feels more rigid than the BRG. Though I've never used the one by Apple, that seems to be inline with how it is described above!

19. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Greetings friends,

Are there are any markings or writing (ex Designed by Apple) on the original Milanese Loop from Apple.

I bought an apple watch second hand for a great price and I also got a Milanese Loop with it, technically for free. Im just wondering how I can figure out of its an original Apple one or a different manufacturer.

Anyone have an Apple one on hand that they can inspect?

The one I have has no markings at all anywhere.

cheers

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

The inside of the top lug has either 38mm or 42mm etched on it. The other lug will have Assembled in China etched on the outer edge. That's the only way to tell it is official. I attached two pics of my official one. Hope that helps you. IMG_0314.JPG IMG_0316.JPG

21. valenrandy macrumors member

valenrandy

Also, If you fold an original apple Milanese loop the mesh will not fold completely flat. Most of the 3rd party loops will fold flat at the mesh.

22. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Sweet thanks.
    the one I have is a "fake" then :D still feels remarkably well made though.
    Shame, thought I could sell it for 100 and have gotten an apple watch for 180 in the end :p

Mine folds nearly flat :D

Attached Files:

23. ru7hl355 macrumors regular

Hi all,

random question but for those of you with official milanese loop bands, do they have any markings on them? just bought one from a certain retailer and im 99% sure its not geniune....

thanks in advance

24. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

The only markings I see on mine is "42MM." Nothing else