How to tell...speed of internet connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BitterB, Mar 2, 2008.

1. BitterB macrumors member

Still new to Mac here, and I'm trying to figure out how can I tell how fast my internet connection is?? On my old Dell all I had to do was move the cursor of my mouse over the connection icon and it showed "Connected: 100 Mbps".

Where can I see the equivalent info on my iMac??

Thanks for the tips......:D

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you want to test true speed of up/downloads you can got to dslreports.com and they have some tests. Haven't been there for a while but they used to be pretty good.

3. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Yes you can do a speed test. Or if you login to your modem it will show the allotted up/down speed in kb/s that your network allows.

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I like Speed Test. :) You could also download iStat pro which tells you the incoming/outgoing traffic speed.

5. BitterB thread starter macrumors member

How are these results?

OK. I have iStatPro as a widget, but I went to Speed Test as suggested. Here's my stats:

Download: 27,070 kb/s
    Upload: 1,963 kb/s

Are these measures considered fast??

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The 100Mb/s displayed on your Dell was the network speed capacity of the ethernet cable. It's not really related to your internet speed. The best way to test your maximum download speed is to download something from your ISP's servers and watch the figures in either iStat, your browser or Activity Monitor. As it stands, your figures seem decent. :)

7. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Wow. That is fast. I am jealous!! :p

For comparison, I got. .

Download: 556 kb/s
    Upload: 375 kb/s

But then I am in the quaint British countryside with bad internet! :rolleyes: You're very lucky! Sooo lucky. :D

*imagines all the downloading you can do*

8. 030108 macrumors member

Do not be fooled.

I know next to nothing, BUT I am so happy and I feel so good that I stumbled into a question that I can actually answer satisfactorily.

I use http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html to check the speed of my Internet connection for my Dell Inspiron notebook and for my Macbook notebook.

I will trade you karenflower.

Wish I were in some quaint Western European or Netherlands or European Union or Tropics/South Pacific something countryside. I envy you guys for that.

9. Strom1 macrumors regular

Strom1

This where I go http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ I just change my internet provider to Verizon/Fios and now my mac hums along,these are my
    Speeds: 20559 kbps (2569.9 KB/sec transfer rate)Upload Speed: 4487 kbps (560.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Here's mine...

Test Server 1:
    [​IMG]
    Test Server 2:
    [​IMG]

Give you an idea of how convenient the connection is...
    here's my Mac downloading updates from apple and adobe.
    - notice the adobe servers to be a little slow (><)

Attached Files:

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

My god thats supersonic speed :eek:

12. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

That is mind-boggling. I hear the net speeds in South Korea are somewhat similar. I hope what I heard is right.

13. macintoshSL macrumors member

macintoshSL

hows this...?

Attached Files:

14. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Is that photoshopped? It must be fake. I'm on a 256k. That's about 35kb per second download and about 10kb upload. A kilobyte is one thousandth of a megabyte for all of you spoiled people who didn't know that.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, that's ungodly amazing, and now you have nearly everyone on the forums jealous of you.

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

17. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

yea considering how easy it is to change the speed in the address bar...i say fake.

Attached Files:

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Some nice speeds there.

How much is the cost per month?

Looks good! :)

The fastest I have ever seen for the home, is what a friend of mine had when he lived in Tokyo.

We downloaded Mac OS 9.2.1 update from the Apple server. Size of the file is 82MB. We DL'ed the file 4 times with an average time of 9 seconds. Slowest was 12 seconds. Fastest was 7 seconds.

At these speeds, the 471MB file that the OP was DL'ing would be DL'ed in about 52 seconds.

My friend's connection cost about $40-45 per month depending on the yen exchange rate.

As for me, here are my stats:

[​IMG]

My line costs me about $25 per month.

I believe for around $60 per month, I could upgrade to 100Mbps. But my current line is fast enough for what I need.

FWIW, speed tests are not always accurate because the test is run over a short timeframe. Best to find a large file that you can DL to check your actual throughput.

19. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

The quoted speeds on the chart are in bits, not bytes... so 5 Mb is 5 Megabits. A bit is one eighth of a byte.

20. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

If you want that basic info you got on your Dell, use the path Finder>applications>utilities>Network Utility
    Run the application
    Click on the Info tab and use the pull down menu to select the device you use to connect to the Internet.

Attached Files:

21. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Here is mine. Is this considered good? MC

Attached Files:

22. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I am located down in the sticks here in Shikoku (on B-Flets Hikari Fiber through Asahi-Net) and score about the same as you on the Tokyo server:

[​IMG]

I get about the same to the Yokohama server too but I'm curious why the upload speeds are so much greater to this site.

[​IMG]

Are you in the Kanto area? I'm guessing you might be by your distances to the servers.

I pay about $50 a month total now for the connection including ISP charges and taxes. It continues to drop in price over time since I did the long term contract deal with NTT when I signed up for the fiber 5 years ago.

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It absolutely depends on what you need. I've come to rely on the bandwidth here and definitely put it to full use. But as you said there is ADSL broadband service here in Japan that is half or less the price of fiber optic and is still quite speedy if you are in good proximity to the local switching station.

Regarding the fiber, as I said above if you plan on sticking with NTT for the long run you can get the "zuto isshou waribiki" and your monthly fee will drop over time. It's sort of like the cell carriers here with their reducing fees for years under contract.

Almost everything in Japan is ridiculously expensive in comparison to the states: gasoline, real estate, food, you name it. Broadband internet is one category where Japan offers much more for much less.

24. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

I hate to whine, but all of you people make me sick.

I cannot get anything but dialup; therefore, my speeds are 3 KB/s down, and ~ 900 B/s. (Yes, that is BITS!) Archaic dialup.