Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evan becker

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2017
hey guys I got a 29w charger and USB-C to lightning cable off of ebay and they both say OEM but is there a way to test if it is actually fast charging? Or is there anything on the adapter I can look at to make sure it’s fast charging

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
hey guys I got a 29w charger and USB-C to lightning cable off of ebay and they both say OEM but is there a way to test if it is actually fast charging? Or is there anything on the adapter I can look at to make sure it’s fast charging
it gets warmer than with the normal one.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
10.5 iPad gains about 1% per minute when fast charging and 0.5% when charging at normal rate. The battery needs to be less than 50% to test this.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
The hardest part seems to find alternative high amp charge cables from usbc to lightning

Reactions: sdz

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
The hardest part seems to find alternative high amp charge cables from usbc to lightning
Although I chose to reply directly to your message, I don't mean to single you out personally. However, why are so many people intent on finding alternatives to the Apple branded USB-C to Lightning cables? I realize they are expensive, but is it really worth the risk?

EDIT: ...and the "charger(s)" too...why risk it?

EDIT2 (to contribute to the topic): I have not yet read about any third-party cables successfully fast charging an iPP.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Although I chose to reply directly to your message, I don't mean to single you out personally. However, why are so many people intent on finding alternatives to the Apple branded USB-C to Lightning cables? I realize they are expensive, but is it really worth the risk?

EDIT: ...and the "charger(s)" too...why risk it?

EDIT2 (to contribute to the topic): I have not yet read about any third-party cables successfully fast charging an iPP.

I would agree with you in general (use included/recommended accessories by manufacturer) but in this case specifically there are too many reasons:
1) Apple does not include a proper fast charger in the IPP box
2) Apple fast charger requires an additional purchase, USBC cable, also not included
3) iPad Pro takes a lot of time to recharge using included accessories
4) Because of the portability nature of an iPad, you need extra chargers for home/office/travel
5) Some iPad owners also have MacBooks so they want to use dual/triple output chargers on the go to charge their devices (phone, tablet, laptop) out of a single socket/charger
6) There are interesting alternative charging methods with USBC (batteries, extremely light / travel chargers, car chargers, multiple outlet / hubs)
7) Apple's current solution is both expensive and cumbersome (not light, single output), far from ideal for a travel companion

Apple is also know for creating an accessory industry around its products, that's why there are so many alternative headphones, cables, speakers, cases with MFI official certification.

No one here is talking about cheap knockoffs but rather good quality alternatives that would attend to other needs as well as not so deep pockets.

PS thanks for saying it was not personal, I understand your point and it's a valid concern that is why I took the time to respond

Reactions: Peter K.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I would agree with you in general (use included/recommended accessories by manufacturer) but in this case specifically there are too many reasons:
1) Apple does not include a proper fast charger in the IPP box
2) Apple fast charger requires an additional purchase, USBC cable, also not included
3) iPad Pro takes a lot of time to recharge using included accessories
4) Because of the portability nature of an iPad, you need extra chargers for home/office/travel
5) Some iPad owners also have MacBooks so they want to use dual/triple output chargers on the go to charge their devices (phone, tablet, laptop) out of a single socket/charger
6) There are interesting alternative charging methods with USBC (batteries, extremely light / travel chargers, car chargers, multiple outlet / hubs)
7) Apple's current solution is both expensive and cumbersome (not light, single output), far from ideal for a travel companion

Apple is also know for creating an accessory industry around its products, that's why there are so many alternative headphones, cables, speakers, cases with MFI official certification.

No one here is talking about cheap knockoffs but rather good quality alternatives that would attend to other needs as well as not so deep pockets.

PS thanks for saying it was not personal, I understand your point and it's a valid concern that is why I took the time to respond

Great points!

Obviously, I agree with the first half or so, as I have the Apple 29W adapter and 2m cable to go with my first generation 12.9" iPP.

I hadn't thought of 5 - 7, but they make a lot of sense too. We can all learn a lot from each other if we can eliminate personal attacks.

Cheers.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

Kelson13

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
Dallas, TX
I'll add that Apple's cables tend to tear way too easily on the cable-side of the connectors. It happens frequently and for a cable that is way too pricey to need to be replaced that often. Thus the desire for braided and well-made 3rd party cables.

I just wish someone would hurry up and come out with one that supports fast charging already. ;)

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I'll add that Apple's cables tend to tear way too easily on the cable-side of the connectors. It happens frequently and for a cable that is way too pricey to need to be replaced that often. Thus the desire for braided and well-made 3rd party cables.

I just wish someone would hurry up and come out with one that supports fast charging already. ;)

Monoprice seems to be selling 100 watt rated cables. Has anyone tried them ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.