Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2007
Yeah I tried but my phone went into some kind of disk mode and I only had like 200 megs avaliable. Restored it..seems to be back to normal. I'll wait a little while before I try that again..

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Changing ring tones should be trivial, especially in a $500 phone!

Indeed. This is crazy. It takes me a whole 2 steps to put a custom ringtone on my current Sony Ericsson Phone (Sony of all things!)-

1. Plug in phone via USB (or switch on bluetooth).
2. Drag file to phone.

the end.

I've decided I'm not going to buy an iPhone in the UK unless+until this kind of nonsense is sorted out, it's just silly.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Does anyone know what all those "dtmf" named files are? They're under the system sounds.
Thanks

"Dual Tone Multi-Frequency":-

They're the digital tones that each number key makes when you press it, when in "old fashioned" dial mode. A different sound for each number (just like a standard landline).

obeyz

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
awesome.

this is amazing! only after 3 resets haha i finally put 6 custom ringtones i made in garageband 3. no matter if you really mess up (trust me, i got ever single message everyone keeps saying they got) all you need to do is restore your iphone to factory settings and POOF! you can try again until you get it!

next i'll change the sounds for email, sms, and other random stuff! and i SUCK at computers =]

MarceePauff

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Honestly, I know nothing about the terminal, or any of this hacking/programming stuff - and I added about six new ringtones on my first try. No problems at all. I LOOOOVE these people! I'm so excited.

Next, I was going to try to tackle some of the message alerts, but I've yet to find anyone who's actually mapped which alerts are which. Maybe I'll just try one or two of the obvious ones, like 'new-mail.caf'.

Yay customized phone!

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
Indeed. This is crazy. It takes me a whole 2 steps to put a custom ringtone on my current Sony Ericsson Phone (Sony of all things!)-

1. Plug in phone via USB (or switch on bluetooth).
2. Drag file to phone.

the end.

I've decided I'm not going to buy an iPhone in the UK unless+until this kind of nonsense is sorted out, it's just silly.

Your loss.... :p

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Does anyone know where to find the ringtone from the commercial? (Not the Marimba one from the keynote -- the very cell phone sounding ringer from the TV commercial.) If i can download that ring tone i will look into this further. It seems pretty easy from the instructions, i just don't have any good ring tone files :)

itsallinurhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2007
Southern California
So what is the cause of the "can't connect to iTunes" problem? I followed the guide step by step and I am still getting that error. The ringtone is on the phone, but I don't want to restore it till activation goes back up.

odobo

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
So what is the cause of the "can't connect to iTunes" problem? I followed the guide step by step and I am still getting that error. The ringtone is on the phone, but I don't want to restore it till activation goes back up.

you need to put the Services.plist file on your iphone again

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
Does anyone know where to find the ringtone from the commercial? (Not the Marimba one from the keynote -- the very cell phone sounding ringer from the TV commercial.) If i can download that ring tone i will look into this further. It seems pretty easy from the instructions, i just don't have any good ring tone files :)

do you have GarageBand installed? If you do, look inside /library/audio/apple loops/apple/iLife sound effects/work - home/

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Any progress on maybe having a Software made tha can easily do the ringtone u just add the ringtones to da fone...? It's be AWESOME!!

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
i followed the Windows version instructions and it worked like a charm! i have been able to put mp3 and AAC ringtones on my phone. Very happy!!!

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
So i have been contemplating weather or not i should give this a try or not, and finally i couldnt take it any longer and decided to go for it. After about the third step i managed to do something wrong and had to restore my iphone. Lucky me at&t is doing some maintenance or something like that so im going to have to wait untill 3 P.M. eastern central time to try and reactivate my iphone. I hope its going to work! Talk about bad timing, this really sucks! Luckily for me i live in Hawaii so 3 P.M. EST is only 9 A.M. over here but still i dont feel rite with out my iphone working properly. I dont know if i will be able to sleep tonight! I guess this is a sign for me. I dont think im going to try again, i might do something even worse to it if i give it another go. Too bad i really wanted some custom ringtones on my phone. O well

pghjetta

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Does anyone know what all those "dtmf" named files are? They're under the system sounds.
Thanks

Now I'm really glad I don't have an Intel Mac. I'd be sooo tempted to replace those with recordings of myself going "boop" "boop" "beep"! :p

cediger

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
I was able to follow the 'hacktheiphone' instructions with no problems. I've loaded 8 custom ringtones - this is great! It went very quick also - it takes me about 2 minutes to load ringtones using this method.

One note - not sure anyone has said this here or not - the name for the ringtone listed in the 'Ringtones' menu takes itself from the filename. I originally thought it was reading the ID3 tags. I went in, deleted the original files I had put there the first name, renamed the ringtones on my Mac & ran through the process again.

Thanks!

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
Carrier logo = "Apple"

Following THESE INSTRUCTIONS I was able to replace my carrier (AT&T) logo.

I'm a little too old for 'pwn3d' so I created my own. My iPhone now says "Apple" where the AT&T logo was.

Sweet...
:cool:

Edit: Man that's hard to see, anyhow, it's white "Apple" text
Edit 2: Sorry, forgot the black text

Attachments

• FSO_CARRIER_ATT.png
    FSO_CARRIER_ATT.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 813
  • Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
    Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 751

kvtp

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Quick q to you guys, when you put ringtones from iTunes is it the whole song or is there a way to clip it to like 10-15 seconds of what you want to play?

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
To Steve TheBusDriver

steven-maloneys-computer:~ stevenmaloney$ cd ~/Desktop/iPhone\ goodies/tools/
-bash: cd: /Users/stevenmaloney/Desktop/iPhone goodies/tools/: No such file or director

Steve it looks like the script is not properly escaping the directory name with the embedded space or else that directory doesn't exist.

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
Recovery through iTunes

Hi, FWIW just wanted to share my own failed attempt with you. I was unsuccessful following the HackiPhone instructions due partly to the format of the ringtone. I used Fission to create what were supposedly iPhone formatted tones which it saved as a .m4v not .m4a. iphoneInterface happily put several of them onto the phone but then produced an error Signal report without much detail. I then tried to put the Services.plist back and it failed. I then tried to restore using iTunes and got unable to connect to iphone on sync with the 0xE8000022. Further attempts to run either jailbreak or iphoneInterface failed with an unable to connect to phone AFC error. at this point, iPhone was still working fine but was unable to sync and if iTunes could not connect to it, no restore was possible. Even the dudes at the Apple store were unable to restore it. i was still within the 15 days of purchase, so i got a new phone, but you might not be so lucky...

MarceePauff

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Hi, FWIW just wanted to share my own failed attempt with you. I was unsuccessful following the HackiPhone instructions due partly to the format of the ringtone. I used Fission to create what were supposedly iPhone formatted tones which it saved as a .m4v not .m4a. iphoneInterface happily put several of them onto the phone but then produced an error Signal report without much detail. I then tried to put the Services.plist back and it failed. I then tried to restore using iTunes and got unable to connect to iphone on sync with the 0xE8000022. Further attempts to run either jailbreak or iphoneInterface failed with an unable to connect to phone AFC error. at this point, iPhone was still working fine but was unable to sync and if iTunes could not connect to it, no restore was possible. Even the dudes at the Apple store were unable to restore it. i was still within the 15 days of purchase, so i got a new phone, but you might not be so lucky...

I used Fission too, but after cutting it up and making it sound the way I wanted to, I brought it into itunes and under the "Advanced" menu it allows you to "convert selection to AAC". That makes it an .m4a and they all worked perfectly.

I even changed out my new mail and new text notifications. WOOHOO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.