How to trade-in and buy at the same time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fontane, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I have a 2010 MBA in excellent condition but want to upgrade to the rMBP. I'm looking at buying through Amazon or Apple (gov't discount). I also want to trade in my MBA through the same site I purchase from so I can use the money toward my new rMBP. How can I buy a new laptop and trade in my old one at the same time so that I can use the trade in money toward the new purchase. I believe Amazon and Apple make you send them the old laptop before they give you the money (which makes sense); however, my MBA is my only laptop and I can't go without a computer for a week.

Any suggestions?

I don't want to deal with eBay or Craigslist. The difference in price is not worth the time/headache for me.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Then you're pretty much stuck. The price quotes you get from Apple, Amazon, Gazelle, etc, are estimates. They need the product in hand to evaluate it.

At least with Gazelle and similar buying sites, you can get cash, so you could buy your new machine right away and put the trade-in funds toward it later.

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The trade-in values you get from those other services are so poor that if you really don't want to deal with the hassle of a private party resale, you might as well consider something like giving your old computer to a friend or donate it to a local community organization such as a church or Boys and Girls Club or whatever. The charitable donations receipt you receive from such a donation would offset your income taxes and the refund you get is probably comparable to what you'd get in cash from a trade in.

I understand not wanting to deal with eBay or Craigslist -- I won't either -- but there plenty of other places to sell your computer privately. Start with family and friends, then look around to coworkers, other members of any community groups you may be part of, church, club, school, etc.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can always ask these companies for a quote, which will be below the proper value since they need to cover their cost and make some profit. Then you should surely find someone who will be happy to pay that amount.