Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There's a serious bug affecting FaceTime right now, which lets someone who calls you hear the audio on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac even if you don't answer the call.

There does not appear to be any way to avoid getting these unwanted calls, short of turning off FaceTime. Luckily, it's easy to do.

facetimehowtodisable.jpg

How to Turn Off FaceTime on Your iPhone and iPad

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down to FaceTime.
  3. Click on the toggle next to "FaceTime."
This will turn off FaceTime on your specific device, but you will need to deactivate FaceTime on all of your iPhones and iPads to avoid unwanted spy calls if you use FaceTime connection methods other than a phone number.

How to Turn Off FaceTime on macOS

1. Open up the FaceTime app.
  2. Click on "FaceTime" in the menu bar.
  3. Select "Turn FaceTime Off."
You can also choose "Preferences" and deselect "Enable this account to deactivate FaceTime.

With FaceTime disabled, no one will be able to secretly FaceTime call you to listen to your audio. With FaceTime enabled, anyone can exploit a Group FaceTime bug to place a call to you that will allow them to listen to your audio even if you don't accept the FaceTime call.

Article Link: How to Turn Off FaceTime on iPhone, iPad, and Mac

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
If someone needs to read a manual to turn off facetime, he or she won't know about MacRumors. But hopefully this will come up in Google...

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
This doesn’t work between my wife’s iPhone 8 (11.4.1) and my ip7+ (12.1.3) both devices must have to be on iOS 12.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The big downside to this is most people will probably turn off FaceTime and never turn it back on, even after the bug is fixed.

I like being able to call people with FaceTime audio, because the sound quality is far better than a cellular call. This may prove less reliable in the future.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I'm still on iOS 10. Looks like I'm still enjoying the best iOS version.

Treyisfresh

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
This could cause a divorce!

There's a serious bug affecting FaceTime right now, which lets someone who calls you hear the audio on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac even if you don't answer the call.

There does not appear to be any way to avoid getting these unwanted calls, short of turning off FaceTime. Luckily, it's easy to do.

facetimehowtodisable.jpg

How to Turn Off FaceTime on Your iPhone and iPad

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down to FaceTime.
  3. Click on the toggle next to "FaceTime."
This will turn off FaceTime on your specific device, but you will need to deactivate FaceTime on all of your iPhones and iPads to avoid unwanted spy calls if you use FaceTime connection methods other than a phone number.

How to Turn Off FaceTime on macOS

1. Open up the FaceTime app.
  2. Click on "FaceTime" in the menu bar.
  3. Select "Turn FaceTime Off."
You can also choose "Preferences" and deselect "Enable this account to deactivate FaceTime.

With FaceTime disabled, no one will be able to secretly FaceTime call you to listen to your audio. With FaceTime enabled, anyone can exploit a Group FaceTime bug to place a call to you that will allow them to listen to your audio even if you don't accept the FaceTime call.

Article Link: How to Turn Off FaceTime on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
[doublepost=1548734798][/doublepost]This could cause a divorce!

Reactions: raybo

rmanbike

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
The big downside to this is most people will probably turn off FaceTime and never turn it back on, even after the bug is fixed.

I like being able to call people with FaceTime audio, because the sound quality is far better than a cellular call. This may prove less reliable in the future.
[doublepost=1548735503][/doublepost]Of if you get a call from anyone you dont trust, just power off your phone immediately.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
[doublepost=1548735503][/doublepost]Of if you get a call from anyone you dont trust, just power off your phone immediately.
Seems like overkill. If someone was actually worried about a FaceTime attack of this kind, easy enough to decline the call and that ends the whole thing right there.

Reactions: sos47

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA

If you're really concerned, then remove the SIM card, break the phone in half, buy a new phone, and insert SIM card. You secret agents out there can never be too careful. o_O

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's kinda shot down any argument for updating for 'security reasons'.
There are other issues in older versions that have been addressed. Bugs have been around and will be around. No way to really predict them.

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I started getting a string of unknown callers — their numbers were shown but not name — shortly after upgrading to IOS 12. I neither answer nor decline. I let it ring. They do not leave voice mails. The calls were from a variety of states, but mostly NY, IN, MO, OH. The calls would come in late afternoon into the evening. I wonder if they were trying to exploit this security lapse.

I wonder if they listened in. However, I just started turning on Do Not Disturb, and I think that also shuts them down.
[doublepost=1548852108][/doublepost]
wow... what a software slip
Lawsuits have already started.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I started getting a string of unknown callers — their numbers were shown but not name — shortly after upgrading to IOS 12. I neither answer nor decline. I let it ring. They do not leave voice mails. The calls were from a variety of states, but mostly NY, IN, MO, OH. The calls would come in late afternoon into the evening. I wonder if they were trying to exploit this security lapse.

I wonder if they listened in. However, I just started turning on Do Not Disturb, and I think that also shuts them down.
[doublepost=1548852108][/doublepost]
Lawsuits have already started.
Phone calls and FaceTime calls are different things.

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Phone calls and FaceTime calls are different things.
I understand. My point is the scammers are relentless at exploiting security openings. I think the Experian releases, et al, mean they have multiple databases to pinpoint users. Everyone’s a target, it seems. I don’ think its paranoia anymore. It’s fact. Too bad.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I understand. My point is the scammers are relentless at exploiting security openings. I think the Experian releases, et al, mean they have multiple databases to pinpoint users. Everyone’s a target, it seems. I don’ think its paranoia anymore. It’s fact. Too bad.
What I was saying is that it doesn't seem like this was involved in what you were describing and as those were regular phone calls based on description.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.