How to type musical notes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gtry, Jan 10, 2008.

1. gtry macrumors newbie

2. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

I think the seel keyboards with notes intsead of letters in some places

3. saxman macrumors 6502

Do you have any music notation programs like Finale? If you do, they probably have a music font that you can use in a word processor or probably anywhere. If you don't have one, you can download MakeMusic's Notepad, which is free, it should install the Maestro font that you can use

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you want to insert the few most-common musical symbols into text, such as putting a flat sign in the middle of a sentence, you can use the Mac OS X Character Palette, a window that lets you select symbols and special characters visually.

To get to the Character Palette:
    • In programs like Safari and TextEdit, choose Edit -> Special Characters.
    • To make it available in any program, go to System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu. Check "Character Palette" and "Show input menu in menu bar". From then on, while in any application, you can choose "Show Character Palette" from the Input menu on the right of your menu bar (next to the clock). With U.S. settings, the icon is a U.S. flag.
    Once you display the Character Palette, you can
    • Open and close the sections to browse the symbols. The "Musical Symbols" section is in the "Symbols" category.
    • Double click a character to insert it into your text.
    • Select a character and click "Insert".
    • Search for specific characters or groups using the search field at the bottom of the window. You might type "flat" for example.
    I'm glad if this information helped you. It was no treble at all! #

5. Sumsha macrumors newbie

Well, I figured out an easier way that suits me very well. I just added these symbols in my keyboard correction list in Pages preferences. Like when I type i` it autocorrects to ♪. Similarly i`` corrects to ♫. Now what I need to know is how to do something like this on Facebook!

6. Potin, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Potin macrumors newbie

7. jovistel macrumors newbie

does this apply to e-chords as well? Found a crappy site but was not help :(

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Here's a guide, I use this pretty regularly:

A flat --> Ab
    A --> A
    A sharp --> A#
    B flat --> Bb

etc.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Also M for major, m for minor. And of course the D7.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you are trying to write music, I'd check out a program like Guitar Pro or Melody Assistant.

11. jwpastor1963 macrumors newbie

Wow Sumsha that worked great. I can copy and paste in any symbol in the world, any symbol i find online. I even copied your ♫ symbol from your post lol. Thanks for the super great way to do this. I will just add this helper. (Apple > System Preferences> Keyboard> Text tab> then use the + sign to add to the list) AWESOME!

12. Nigelgreenx macrumors newbie

Nigelgreenx

I fell at the first post - TextEdit I have doesn't have any menus so I can't go to Edit unless you know how to show menus. Alt doesn't work like in WIndows.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you're used to the Windows interface and its conventions, you may be expecting to see menus in the TextEdit window. Instead, under Mac OS X, they are at the very top of your screen.